Whats the *real* min HW for VC++ 5
Author Message
 Whats the *real* min HW for VC++ 5

I'm kinda spoiled, I develop on a P6-200 with 96meg RAM .. I'm going to be
doing some traveling and am thinking about getting a laptop. The main thing i
will be using the laptop for is running Visual Studio 97.

Does anybody out there run VC 5.0 on a laptop ? Can you let me know the
configuration of your system and how whether you think it is sufficient. I
expect compiles & links are going to be slow, but other than that what else can
I expect.

I dont want to spend alot, I'm thinking about a 166mhz/512k cache & 32 meg RAM

Thanks ..  Dave

Tue, 01 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Whats the *real* min HW for VC++ 5

I use it on P133/32meg/256k and it is working well

Rajesh Parikh
Microsoft Certified Solution Developer

>I'm kinda spoiled, I develop on a P6-200 with 96meg RAM .. I'm going to be
>doing some traveling and am thinking about getting a laptop. The main thing
>will be using the laptop for is running Visual Studio 97.

>Does anybody out there run VC 5.0 on a laptop ? Can you let me know the
>configuration of your system and how whether you think it is sufficient. I
>expect compiles & links are going to be slow, but other than that what else
can
>I expect.

>I dont want to spend alot, I'm thinking about a 166mhz/512k cache & 32 meg
RAM

>Thanks ..  Dave

Tue, 01 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Whats the *real* min HW for VC++ 5

Quote:
>I dont want to spend alot, I'm thinking about a 166mhz/512k cache & 32 meg RAM

That should be fine - I used it for a good while on a 33MHz 486 with
16MB RAM (and not enough disk space either <g>). I wouldn't recommend
that spec though.

Dave
----
Remove ".---" for the real address.
http://www.bj.co.uk

Tue, 01 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Whats the *real* min HW for VC++ 5

You should be fine with that configuration.  I've run it on a P100 laptop
with 16MB RAM with no problems (Win95).  I would advise getting a big hard
drive, though.  The 720 MB drive on my laptop is too small...

Quote:

>I'm kinda spoiled, I develop on a P6-200 with 96meg RAM .. I'm going to be
>doing some traveling and am thinking about getting a laptop. The main thing
>will be using the laptop for is running Visual Studio 97.

>Does anybody out there run VC 5.0 on a laptop ? Can you let me know the
>configuration of your system and how whether you think it is sufficient. I
>expect compiles & links are going to be slow, but other than that what else
can
>I expect.

>I dont want to spend alot, I'm thinking about a 166mhz/512k cache & 32 meg
RAM

>Thanks ..  Dave

Tue, 01 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Whats the *real* min HW for VC++ 5

I have done lots of development with VC++ 5 on a desktop 90 MHz Pentium with
48 MB RAM, Win '95. Not terrible. Never crashes. Doesn't drive me up the
wall with compile/link times, although I do try to avoid full rebuilds. In
fact, it's a lot faster than my desktop Pentium 200, 32 MB, NT workstation
4.0, NTFS system (thrashing virtual memory on the latter system seems to be
the problem. Gotta get more RAM soon). I once tried running VC 4.0 on a 44
MHz '486 laptop. No way! But with 100 MHz+ pentium, and more than 32 MB ram,
you should be fine.

Also, you will find that working with itty-bitty laptop screens, the VStudio
IDE get's really crowded. Big desktop displays really spoil a person. If you
can afford it, splurge for the best resolution screen you can afford.

Good luck,
Jonathan

P.S. Compiling is processor, memory, and disk intensive, so I would guess
your battery lifetime will not be so hot. Plan on buying a lot of spares.
That's been the biggest problem I've had trying to code while on airplanes.

Quote:

>I'm kinda spoiled, I develop on a P6-200 with 96meg RAM .. I'm going to be
>doing some traveling and am thinking about getting a laptop. The main thing
>will be using the laptop for is running Visual Studio 97.

>Does anybody out there run VC 5.0 on a laptop ? Can you let me know the
>configuration of your system and how whether you think it is sufficient. I
>expect compiles & links are going to be slow, but other than that what else
can
>I expect.

>I dont want to spend alot, I'm thinking about a 166mhz/512k cache & 32 meg
RAM

>Thanks ..  Dave

Tue, 01 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Whats the *real* min HW for VC++ 5

It depends on the size of your project modules.  If you compile MFC programs, I
would not recommend anything less than 64 meg.  The processor you choose is up
to your patience.  I personally could not tolerate anything slower than a
Pentium 100 Mhz.

Quote:

--
Remove the ppp for the correct email address.

Tue, 01 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Whats the *real* min HW for VC++ 5

I'm currently running it on a 32M, 200MHz laptop and it seems
acceptable.  But I plan to upgrade to 64MB as soon as I get my next
check.
                                joe

Quote:

>I'm kinda spoiled, I develop on a P6-200 with 96meg RAM .. I'm going to be
>doing some traveling and am thinking about getting a laptop. The main thing i
>will be using the laptop for is running Visual Studio 97.

>Does anybody out there run VC 5.0 on a laptop ? Can you let me know the
>configuration of your system and how whether you think it is sufficient. I
>expect compiles & links are going to be slow, but other than that what else can
>I expect.

>I dont want to spend alot, I'm thinking about a 166mhz/512k cache & 32 meg RAM

>Thanks ..  Dave

Joseph M. Newcomer

http://www3.pgh.net/~newcomer

Thu, 03 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Whats the *real* min HW for VC++ 5

I am running VC++ 5.0 on a Compaq Presario 992 w/P5-100mhz and 48MB or ram.
It is kind of tedious at times but it gets the job done.

Kelle B. Slough
Quincy, IL.  USA

Thu, 03 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Whats the *real* min HW for VC++ 5

Quote:

>I'm currently running it on a 32M, 200MHz laptop and it seems
>acceptable.  But I plan to upgrade to 64MB as soon as I get my next
>check.

Good move. I've run various versions of VC under 16/24/32/48 and 64M
(processors were P120, P200, PP 180 and K6200).

All confiurations _worked_, but not all were enjoyable <g>. It wasn't
till I upgraded my current K6 to 64M that VC really seemed to undo its
waistcoat and go "aaaaaaah"....

In particular, trying to link an MFC app on a 16M system was not an
exhilarating experience. FWIW, my K6200/64 at home comfortably beats
my PP180/48 at work for medium sized (80K lines) MFC compilation
times. More importantly, it "feels" a lot more responsive.

Mind you, that may have something to do with Outlook heaving its
steaming great bulk around in my work machine <g>. What a good idea,
designing a mail-client-come-pim that feels sluggish in a machine of
that spec.

Excuse me, I'm rambling again.....

Bob Moore [MVP]

Due to an unreasonable amount of queries, I no
longer answer emailed questions. Sorry.

Thu, 03 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Whats the *real* min HW for VC++ 5

I'm using IBM Thinkpad 760E.  It has a pentium-150, 48mb and 2.1gb, but my choice
was because of the screen, it has an 1024*768 XGA TFT screen.  I cant stand using
800*600.  It works fine, but compile/link can sometimes be a bit slow on big
projects.  But I guess 166mhz/512k cache & 32 meg, would do very well - though I
would increase the memory, to minimize disk operations, to 48mb or 64mb.  But if
you are going to run NT workstation I would have atleast 64mb.  I guess 133mhz
would work well also with enough memory!

cheers,
Olafur

Quote:

> I'm kinda spoiled, I develop on a P6-200 with 96meg RAM .. I'm going to be
> doing some traveling and am thinking about getting a laptop. The main thing i
> will be using the laptop for is running Visual Studio 97.

> Does anybody out there run VC 5.0 on a laptop ? Can you let me know the
> configuration of your system and how whether you think it is sufficient. I
> expect compiles & links are going to be slow, but other than that what else can
> I expect.

> I dont want to spend alot, I'm thinking about a 166mhz/512k cache & 32 meg RAM

> Thanks ..  Dave

Tue, 08 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Whats the *real* min HW for VC++ 5

I run it occasionally on a P100 with 16 Mb. Help and compiles are slow,
but it still works fine.

Quote:

> I am running VC++ 5.0 on a Compaq Presario 992 w/P5-100mhz and 48MB or ram.
> It is kind of tedious at times but it gets the job done.

> Kelle B. Slough
> Quincy, IL.  USA

-----

CSIRO Australia

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Haven/2473/MFCext.html

Fri, 11 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Whats the *real* min HW for VC++ 5

The more RAM the better.  I currently use a Dell PII 300MHz with 64 MB, and
NT/Dev Studio runs like a dream.  Over the weekend I went back to using my
previous PC - a Compaq P200+48MB RAM - and it's okay too.  The compilations
take noticably longer, but the GUI is as responsive.  I also find (with a
decent wodge of RAM) that Dev Studio performs smoother on NT than 95.
Anybody else notice this too?

Sean.

Quote:

>I run it occasionally on a P100 with 16 Mb. Help and compiles are slow,
>but it still works fine.

>> I am running VC++ 5.0 on a Compaq Presario 992 w/P5-100mhz and 48MB or
ram.
>> It is kind of tedious at times but it gets the job done.

>> Kelle B. Slough
>> Quincy, IL.  USA

>-----

>CSIRO Australia

>http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Haven/2473/MFCext.html

Fri, 11 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Whats the *real* min HW for VC++ 5

Yes I have noticed that too....
I have 4 Pentium II 233 MHz with 64 MB of RAM with some running NT 4 and
others Windows 95. In general NT runs smoother, not just VC. But u are right
Sean, its really smooth as u add more and more RAM.

Sanjay Vyas
Synergetics
Bombay

Quote:

>The more RAM the better.  I currently use a Dell PII 300MHz with 64 MB, and

Fri, 11 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. MFC to MacIntosh - Whats the REAL story

2. whats the fault with my code of Vc++

3. min/max errors when converting VC6 project to VC.NET

4. Min. h/w config for VC++ development

5. Whats changed in VC

6. whats the latest VC++

7. Whats a good vc++6 language book?

8. Raising real numbers to real powers in C/C++

9. How to draw Real time graph in VC++

10. Real time system design with VC++

11. How to draw Real time graph in VC++

12. Looking for a Real Good VC++ Institute