Moving the first tab in a tab control over a bit
Author Message
 Moving the first tab in a tab control over a bit

The properties dialog for controls in the VC resource editor has pushpin
and help buttons just to the left of the first tab.  I need something
like that and can't see a way to get the first tab to move over a bit to
make room for a button.

Suspiciously, when I investigate it with Spy++ there doesn't seem to be
a tab control there.  Apparently that simple-looking little dialog is
using a custom (non-rectangular!) tab control.  Is anybody aware of a
way to do this without reinventing the tab control?

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

Fri, 28 Nov 2003 06:04:07 GMT
 Moving the first tab in a tab control over a bit
I think that (I am not sure; my memory is not clear) that dialog existed
before Windows 95 and the tab control was new for Windows 95. If I am
correct about that, then that could explain why it is different.

Quote:
> The properties dialog for controls in the VC resource editor has pushpin
> and help buttons just to the left of the first tab.  I need something
> like that and can't see a way to get the first tab to move over a bit to
> make room for a button.

> Suspiciously, when I investigate it with Spy++ there doesn't seem to be
> a tab control there.  Apparently that simple-looking little dialog is
> using a custom (non-rectangular!) tab control.  Is anybody aware of a
> way to do this without reinventing the tab control?

> --
> Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

Fri, 28 Nov 2003 11:20:35 GMT
 Moving the first tab in a tab control over a bit
I did a quick test. I have a little test project that has a tab control in a
dialog. The modeless dialogs for each tab is usually a child of the tab
control, or at least that is how I had it. I made them children of the
dialog instead and then enlarged them a bit to the left. The result does not
look correct, but it might simply be a matter of a few more details.  Have
you tried that?

Quote:
> The properties dialog for controls in the VC resource editor has pushpin
> and help buttons just to the left of the first tab.  I need something
> like that and can't see a way to get the first tab to move over a bit to
> make room for a button.

> Suspiciously, when I investigate it with Spy++ there doesn't seem to be
> a tab control there.  Apparently that simple-looking little dialog is
> using a custom (non-rectangular!) tab control.  Is anybody aware of a
> way to do this without reinventing the tab control?

> --
> Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

Fri, 28 Nov 2003 12:52:20 GMT
 Moving the first tab in a tab control over a bit

Quote:

> > The properties dialog for controls in the VC resource editor has pushpin
> > and help buttons just to the left of the first tab.  I need something
> > like that and can't see a way to get the first tab to move over a bit to
> > make room for a button.

> > Suspiciously, when I investigate it with Spy++ there doesn't seem to be
> > a tab control there.  Apparently that simple-looking little dialog is
> > using a custom (non-rectangular!) tab control.  Is anybody aware of a
> > way to do this without reinventing the tab control?

> I did a quick test. I have a little test project that has a tab control in a
> dialog. The modeless dialogs for each tab is usually a child of the tab
> control, or at least that is how I had it. I made them children of the
> dialog instead and then enlarged them a bit to the left. The result does not
> look correct, but it might simply be a matter of a few more details.  Have
> you tried that?

I just tried your suggestion, thanks.  As you say, it doesn't look
good.  I could probably paint over it somehow but ... then MS would
change the artwork.  I'm letting this problem simmer on the back
burner.  Still hoping for inspiration or free code :)

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

Sat, 29 Nov 2003 09:21:28 GMT
 Moving the first tab in a tab control over a bit
Notice that with the resource editor properties dialog Spy++ does not show a
tab control whereas if there were a tab control we should be able to find it
using Spy++.

Quote:

> > > The properties dialog for controls in the VC resource editor has
pushpin
> > > and help buttons just to the left of the first tab.  I need something
> > > like that and can't see a way to get the first tab to move over a bit
> > > make room for a button.

> > > Suspiciously, when I investigate it with Spy++ there doesn't seem to
be
> > > a tab control there.  Apparently that simple-looking little dialog is
> > > using a custom (non-rectangular!) tab control.  Is anybody aware of a
> > > way to do this without reinventing the tab control?

> > I did a quick test. I have a little test project that has a tab control
in a
> > dialog. The modeless dialogs for each tab is usually a child of the tab
> > control, or at least that is how I had it. I made them children of the
> > dialog instead and then enlarged them a bit to the left. The result does
not
> > look correct, but it might simply be a matter of a few more details.
Have
> > you tried that?

> I just tried your suggestion, thanks.  As you say, it doesn't look
> good.  I could probably paint over it somehow but ... then MS would
> change the artwork.  I'm letting this problem simmer on the back
> burner.  Still hoping for inspiration or free code :)

> --
> Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

Sat, 29 Nov 2003 11:03:08 GMT

1. Cannot press tab to move to a tab control after using WS_EX_CONTROLPARENT

2. Tab key to tab between controls does not work properly

3. want tab control with tabs on bottom

4. Tab Control - disabling a tab

5. Article: Implementing drag 'n drop tab sorting in a tab control

6. Tab Control Ctrl-Tab-Keys

7. Tab control: separate a tab

8. Disabling individual tabs on a tab control

9. moving tab control in a property sheet

10. Tab control and tab order

11. tabbing in subdialog of tab control of CDialog blows up

12. :-) How To Stop The Tab Key From Moving To Next Control in Tab Order if Some Ciiteria is Not Met