Doesn't MFC wrap all WIN32 API?
Author Message
 Doesn't MFC wrap all WIN32 API?

Hi,
  I am new to Windows development and MFC, but in my mind, MFC wrap
all Win32 API into its classes, which basically means I should be able
to find all the WIN32 API wrapped somewhere inside MFC, is it right?
  I have a code calling WIN32 API like, AllocConsole() and
_open_osfhandle(), then I do a string search in MFC\include directory,
but I do not find any match. Could you point me how I should do here?

Thanks.

Tue, 13 Sep 2005 23:27:52 GMT
 Doesn't MFC wrap all WIN32 API?

Quote:
> Hi,
>   I am new to Windows development and MFC, but in my mind, MFC wrap
> all Win32 API into its classes, which basically means I should be able
> to find all the WIN32 API wrapped somewhere inside MFC, is it right?

It may be that way in your mind, but it's not the way in reality. :) There
are *many* APIs that MFC doesn't wrap.

Quote:
>   I have a code calling WIN32 API like, AllocConsole() and
> _open_osfhandle(), then I do a string search in MFC\include directory,
> but I do not find any match. Could you point me how I should do here?

Use the WIN32 API straight as is.

Jay

Wed, 14 Sep 2005 00:01:12 GMT
 Doesn't MFC wrap all WIN32 API?
Bill -- see inline

Quote:
> Hi,
>   I am new to Windows development and MFC, but in my mind, MFC wrap
> all Win32 API into its classes,

1)
Nope -- MFC wraps some of Win32 API -- way back when MFC4x was first released,
it wrapped some percentage, say x, where x is substantially smaller than 100.
Now, with all new API calls in Win2000 and later, that percentage is y, where y
is substantially smaller than x (y << x << 100).

Quote:
> which basically means I should be able
> to find all the WIN32 API wrapped somewhere inside MFC, is it right?
>   I have a code calling WIN32 API like, AllocConsole() and
> _open_osfhandle(), then I do a string search in MFC\include directory,
> but I do not find any match.

2) exactrly, see 1) above

Quote:
> Could you point me how I should do here?

Use the API call's - thats what they are there for.  MFC is not an alternative
to the Win32 API.  As its name implies, it is but a framework.  It is a pretty
decent stating point (in my lowliest of opinions) for several classes of
problems.    It does some things well, others not so well, and still others not
at all....  Such is not a bug or a shortcoming of MFC -- it is that way by
design.

regards
roy fine

Wed, 14 Sep 2005 00:03:56 GMT
 Doesn't MFC wrap all WIN32 API?
Not at all. It wraps a very small subset of the APIs. Mostly, it wraps those dealing with
windowing, networking, and a few other cases, but there are something like 6000 API calls.
MFC probably wraps a few hundred API calls, and a subset of the several hundred possible
messages you can send a window. For everything else, there's MasterCardXXXXXXXXX the raw
API. Priceless.
                                        joe

Quote:
>Hi,
>  I am new to Windows development and MFC, but in my mind, MFC wrap
>all Win32 API into its classes, which basically means I should be able
>to find all the WIN32 API wrapped somewhere inside MFC, is it right?
>  I have a code calling WIN32 API like, AllocConsole() and
>_open_osfhandle(), then I do a string search in MFC\include directory,
>but I do not find any match. Could you point me how I should do here?

>Thanks.

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]

Web: http://www.flounder.com

Fri, 23 Sep 2005 21:22:38 GMT

1. Rich Edit 5.0 doesn't wrap lines

2. wrapping com dll doesn't work

3. Can't call Win32 API when used by IIS

4. GetWindowText doesn't work as win32 function

5. Can't populate Access Memo field using Win32 api

6. Overriding CAsyncSocket OnReceive doesn't work in Win32 Console Application

7. getprofilestring() from win32 API can't read exceed 64k file size

8. getprofilestring() from win32 API can't read exceed 64k file size

9. iostreams vs stdio vs win32 API's

10. Using Win32 API's or equivalent function

11. Win32 API, MFC and ATL are DEAD

12. HELP: Win32 API and/or MFC?????