Win 95/95 to Win NT
Author Message
 Win 95/95 to Win NT

I don't have win NT, and was wondering if there is some info on which
function calls are different, and how the registry is used ( as in Admin and
User) differently. I am familiar with linux and having different security
levels, and am just wondering how hard it would be to make my apps run on
NT.  Or what I would have to keep in mind.
Thanks-

Mon, 06 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Win 95/95 to Win NT
ljp,

Quote:
> I don't have win NT, and was wondering if there is some info on which
> function calls are different, and how the registry is used ( as in Admin and
> User) differently. I am familiar with linux and having different security
> levels, and am just wondering how hard it would be to make my apps run on
> NT.  Or what I would have to keep in mind.

How much you have to worry abou depends on what you app does. Many apps will run
fine on NT without any modifications, but tehre are some things to keep in mind.
For example, there are some API's that have flags only valid in Win9x or NT, and
in some cases, parameters are different.
Also, there are some NT apis that are unicode only (there's no ansi version of
them), most noticeably the Net* apis.
Finally, there are many WinNT specific api's, and be aware that NT does pay
attention to what you pass to the functions that take a security descriptor,
like CreateFile(), or any of those.

Anyway, the vast majority of this quirks are explained in the documentation of
the functions.

--
Tomas Restrepo

http://members.xoom.com/trestrep/

Tue, 07 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Win NT to Win 95

2. Porting application from Win 95 to Win NT

3. Q: Differences WIN NT / WIN 95 in VC++ 5.0

4. Win NT vs. Win 95

5. Registry - Win 95/Win NT

6. DLL on Win NT vs. Win 95

7. DLL on Win NT vs. Win 95

8. Win NT vs Win 95/98

9. Win NT to Win 95

10. Win NT 4.0 - Win 95 Registry Reading Problems

11. Win 95 -> Win NT

12. Dialog behaviour in Win 95 and Win NT