XP Theme causing problems w/ SetWindowText & GetWindowText
Author Message
 XP Theme causing problems w/ SetWindowText & GetWindowText

I have a Visual C++ application...a user with an XP machine noticed
some of the dialogs were not functioning correctly (certain text
wasn't appearing at all)...

through debugging i found everything looked normal behind the
scenes...through newsgroups i found that there appears to be a problem
with windows XP Themes and the use of the Set/GetWindowText
commands...

so, i changed the theme on the computer from an XP theme, to Windows
Classic, and the application worked properly...

my question is, is there a fix or work around for this problem? is
there something i should be using other then Set/GetWindowText that
won't interfere with the theme? is there a fix pack? etc...

thank you...

- Brian

Tue, 13 Sep 2005 18:56:17 GMT
 XP Theme causing problems w/ SetWindowText & GetWindowText
The only problem I have found is with vertical tabs.

David

Quote:

Tue, 13 Sep 2005 20:07:30 GMT
 XP Theme causing problems w/ SetWindowText & GetWindowText

Quote:
>through debugging i found everything looked normal behind the
>scenes...through newsgroups i found that there appears to be a problem
>with windows XP Themes and the use of the Set/GetWindowText
>commands...

>so, i changed the theme on the computer from an XP theme, to Windows
>Classic, and the application worked properly...

>my question is, is there a fix or work around for this problem?

Brian,

What specifically is the problem?

Do you have a code snippet that illustrates it?

Dave
--
MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq

Tue, 13 Sep 2005 22:17:06 GMT
 XP Theme causing problems w/ SetWindowText & GetWindowText
I've also got problems .. title's for some floating dialog windows show
incorrectly when in XP theme (telly-tubby) mode.  But work perfectly in
non-themed mode.

Quote:
> I have a Visual C++ application...a user with an XP machine noticed
> some of the dialogs were not functioning correctly (certain text
> wasn't appearing at all)...

> through debugging i found everything looked normal behind the
> scenes...through newsgroups i found that there appears to be a problem
> with windows XP Themes and the use of the Set/GetWindowText
> commands...

> so, i changed the theme on the computer from an XP theme, to Windows
> Classic, and the application worked properly...

> my question is, is there a fix or work around for this problem? is
> there something i should be using other then Set/GetWindowText that
> won't interfere with the theme? is there a fix pack? etc...

> thank you...

> - Brian

Sat, 17 Sep 2005 07:10:06 GMT
 XP Theme causing problems w/ SetWindowText & GetWindowText

--------------------

Quote:

> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.vc.mfc
> Subject: XP Theme causing problems w/ SetWindowText & GetWindowText
> Date: 28 Mar 2003 09:56:17 -0800

> I have a Visual C++ application...a user with an XP machine noticed
> some of the dialogs were not functioning correctly (certain text
> wasn't appearing at all)...

> through debugging i found everything looked normal behind the
> scenes...through newsgroups i found that there appears to be a problem
> with windows XP Themes and the use of the Set/GetWindowText
> commands...

> so, i changed the theme on the computer from an XP theme, to Windows
> Classic, and the application worked properly...

> my question is, is there a fix or work around for this problem? is
> there something i should be using other then Set/GetWindowText that
> won't interfere with the theme? is there a fix pack? etc...

> thank you...

> - Brian

There are problems using Commctl 6.0 with apps that subclasses these
controls with an ANSI winproc (MFC subclasses controls). I don't have all
the details but Edit control is one where there are some problems and I
suspect this is one of these. Check if the problem goes away when you
compile the app UNICODE.

Following page has a note about this at the end.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp

Note  You should not subclass the updated common controls with an ANSI
window procedure.

--
Sridhar Madhugiri, Visual C++ Team

Sun, 18 Sep 2005 20:13:48 GMT
 XP Theme causing problems w/ SetWindowText & GetWindowText
it's nothing tricky in the code...

simply taking a CEdit Control (for example myControl) and setting the
text of it, for example:

myControl.SetWindowText(newText);

(where newText is a CString)...

thanx...

- Brian

Quote:

> >through debugging i found everything looked normal behind the
> >scenes...through newsgroups i found that there appears to be a problem
> >with windows XP Themes and the use of the Set/GetWindowText
> >commands...

> >so, i changed the theme on the computer from an XP theme, to Windows
> >Classic, and the application worked properly...

> >my question is, is there a fix or work around for this problem?

> Brian,

> What specifically is the problem?

> Do you have a code snippet that illustrates it?

> Dave

Sat, 24 Sep 2005 18:28:06 GMT
 XP Theme causing problems w/ SetWindowText & GetWindowText

Quote:
>it's nothing tricky in the code...

>simply taking a CEdit Control (for example myControl) and setting the
>text of it, for example:

>myControl.SetWindowText(newText);

Brian,

Given that that code is so trivial it will exist in thousands of
applications, I don't think that can be the whole story.

Is it perhaps device specific - have you tried an updated graphics
device driver?

Dave
--
MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq

Sun, 25 Sep 2005 09:37:35 GMT

1. DialogBar, XP Pro, XP Home, Visual Themes

2. XP Theme rendering problems

3. XP theme problem with third party dlls

4. CEdit GetWindowText following user edit and SetWindowText

5. Pocket PC2002 Emulator Causes XP Crash & Reboot

6. Add-In to Provide Windows XP Theme - Help

7. XP theme

8. XP Themes not working in MFC 7.1

9. XP Themes - Info Please

10. ANN: MSDN: Creating a VS.NET add-in for applying Windows XP themes

11. Working with Windows XP Themes

12. Disabling the XP theme for a window...