localizing strings in DBCS 
Author Message
 localizing strings in DBCS

Hi,

Currently, our application handles localization using a separate
resource-only DLL. All our strings are currently localized in most european
languages.

I am looking into supporting DBCS as well (for Asian languages). All of our
code is DBCS compatible. And we use the strings in the resource DLL only for
display.

To test, I replaced a string in the resource DLL with some chinese chars,
recompiled the resource DLL and tried to run my app on the chinese Windows
system and I expected to see the string in Chinese, in my app. I saw garbage
in that static text control.

However, if I copy the same chinese text to a text file, and at run time,
read that line from the text file and set the window text dynamically, it
appears in chinese.

What do I have to do to support a DBCS language (say chinese)? I am missing
something in the resource compilation, I guess.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Kumar.



Sat, 12 Jul 2003 05:22:53 GMT  
 localizing strings in DBCS
This is just a suggestion.

Try loading the right character set. maybe when you read from a text file
the appropriate char set is loaded.

I think the default charset is the ANSI charset

Let me know how you go



Sat, 12 Jul 2003 07:38:26 GMT  
 localizing strings in DBCS
You also have to ensure that the dialog resources specify a DBCS font.
Therefore you will also need a separate set of dialog resources for
the DBCS language, not just message text strings.  

Eddie

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001 16:22:53 -0500, "Kumar Venkataraman"

Quote:

>What do I have to do to support a DBCS language (say chinese)? I am missing
>something in the resource compilation, I guess.



Sat, 12 Jul 2003 12:27:11 GMT  
 localizing strings in DBCS
Eddie,

Found a tech article regarding this: Q152099.

MFC automatically converts MS Sans Serif font to default DBCS system font in
CDialog::DoModal.

Thanks.

Kumar.


Quote:
> You also have to ensure that the dialog resources specify a DBCS font.
> Therefore you will also need a separate set of dialog resources for
> the DBCS language, not just message text strings.

> Eddie

> On Mon, 22 Jan 2001 16:22:53 -0500, "Kumar Venkataraman"

> >What do I have to do to support a DBCS language (say chinese)? I am
missing
> >something in the resource compilation, I guess.



Sun, 13 Jul 2003 03:01:17 GMT  
 localizing strings in DBCS
I found the answer!

The language for the string table has to be a DBCS language. This can be
selected in the properties of the the string table in the resource editor.

Thanks.

Kumar.


Quote:
> Hi,

> Currently, our application handles localization using a separate
> resource-only DLL. All our strings are currently localized in most
european
> languages.

> I am looking into supporting DBCS as well (for Asian languages). All of
our
> code is DBCS compatible. And we use the strings in the resource DLL only
for
> display.

> To test, I replaced a string in the resource DLL with some chinese chars,
> recompiled the resource DLL and tried to run my app on the chinese Windows
> system and I expected to see the string in Chinese, in my app. I saw
garbage
> in that static text control.

> However, if I copy the same chinese text to a text file, and at run time,
> read that line from the text file and set the window text dynamically, it
> appears in chinese.

> What do I have to do to support a DBCS language (say chinese)? I am
missing
> something in the resource compilation, I guess.

> Any help is appreciated.

> Thanks.

> Kumar.



Sun, 13 Jul 2003 02:59:44 GMT  
 
 [ 5 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. localizing strings DBCS languages

2. DBCS strings in CRecordset

3. Reading a dbcs formatted ICINFO description string in Win95

4. Reading a dbcs formatted ICINFO description string in Win95

5. DBCS strings

6. Need FIX: std::wofstream Can't Output After DBCS Character Is Output (Q274012)

7. Unicode or DBCS problem

8. TCHAR.H and DBCS

9. Using GetTextFace() in DBCS Windows

10. VC++ 5.0 Menu Resource DBCS Problem (URGENT !)

11. Is DBCS possible using C?

12. Japanese DBCS

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software