How to change the default application icon
Author Message
 How to change the default application icon

I know this sounds silly but I can't figure out why I can't change the icon
for my VC 4.2 application.  I simply changed the IDR_MAINFRAME icon which
was created but no matter what I try the same old MFC icon shows up.  Why
isn't it using the modified IDR_MAINFRAME icon?  That's all I did for 16
bit MFC apps.

Phil McAdams

Sun, 15 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 How to change the default application icon

Make sure you changed both the standard (32x32) and small (16x16) icons.

Regards,
--
----------------------------
Son M. Pham

| I know this sounds silly but I can't figure out why I can't change the
icon
| for my VC 4.2 application.  I simply changed the IDR_MAINFRAME icon which
| was created but no matter what I try the same old MFC icon shows up.  Why
| isn't it using the modified IDR_MAINFRAME icon?  That's all I did for 16
| bit MFC apps.
|
| Phil McAdams

Tue, 17 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 How to change the default application icon

That's because there can be more than one bitmap image for the same icon
resource. Go back to the icon resource editor.  Do you see that little
droplist box that says "Device" beside it?  Drop that down and see if there
are any choices beside the current one.  If there are, then switch to those
choices and you'll see the sneaky hidden MFC icon of a different size.  You
have to edit that one too.

Sometimes, however, even this doesn't work.  There is a slighly more
drastic solution.  Just delete the IDR_MAINFRAME icon altogether and create
a new one by that same name.   I mean click on its little symbol in the
project workspace window and delete the resource for it.  Then create a new
icon and give it the same name (IDR_MAINFRAME).  Edit it the way you want
and your problem will definitely be fixed.

Joe O'

Quote:
> I know this sounds silly but I can't figure out why I can't change the
icon
> for my VC 4.2 application.  I simply changed the IDR_MAINFRAME icon which
> was created but no matter what I try the same old MFC icon shows up.  Why
> isn't it using the modified IDR_MAINFRAME icon?  That's all I did for 16
> bit MFC apps.

> Phil McAdams

Wed, 18 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 How to change the default application icon

Make sure you have changed both the small and large icon.....  Other
things:  Try updating all dependences before recompiling, and rebooting
windows... Remeber, windows makes a cache for all icons used by explorer.

Quote:
> I know this sounds silly but I can't figure out why I can't change the
icon
> for my VC 4.2 application.  I simply changed the IDR_MAINFRAME icon which
> was created but no matter what I try the same old MFC icon shows up.  Why
> isn't it using the modified IDR_MAINFRAME icon?  That's all I did for 16
> bit MFC apps.

> Phil McAdams

Thu, 19 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Default Icon Hell: MFC Icon appears even after file and IDR_MAINFRAME changed

2. How to change the mfc icon with our own icon in the SDI applications

3. TitleBar (and TaskBar) Icon - How do I change the default

4. Console Applications ran from service have default icons???

5. Help changing the default Icon after/at Compiling?

6. Changing default 'small icon'

7. Application default icon

8. HOWTO change the MFC default icon in SDI

9. How to change the MFC default sample icon ?

10. Changing default MFC icon

11. How to replace default application icon with my own

12. How to set default application icon?