A thread question challenge ! Who dares ?
Author Message
 A thread question challenge ! Who dares ?

I have a thread that is returning a -1 termination error in debug.

Who can tell me how to find the cause of this error ?

This is the challenge !

- Adrian

Wed, 02 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 A thread question challenge ! Who dares ?

first imagine yourself as somebody who has no clue what this message is
about or what the person who posted it is doing. then answer it. what do
you think we are.. magicians? give us details not vague results of your
errors

Quote:

> I have a thread that is returning a -1 termination error in debug.

> Who can tell me how to find the cause of this error ?

> This is the challenge !

> - Adrian

Wed, 02 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 A thread question challenge ! Who dares ?

True.. ok.  This is a better description of the problem...

In my debug pane I get the following two entries (amongst others)
after running my program:

The thread 0xFFF59505 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 0xFFF574D5 has exited with code -1 (0xFFFFFFFF).

What do these exit codes mean?  Is the -1 a problem? and if it is, how
can I find what thread is referred to by 0xFFF574D5 or to put it
another way how do I go about tracking down the cause of the problem?

Thank you.
-Adrian

On Sat, 14 Feb 1998 21:10:47 -0500, Selom Ofori

Quote:

>first imagine yourself as somebody who has no clue what this message is
>about or what the person who posted it is doing. then answer it. what do
>you think we are.. magicians? give us details not vague results of your
>errors

>> I have a thread that is returning a -1 termination error in debug.

>> Who can tell me how to find the cause of this error ?

>> This is the challenge !

>> - Adrian

Fri, 04 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 A thread question challenge ! Who dares ?

Quote:

> True.. ok.  This is a better description of the problem...

> In my debug pane I get the following two entries (amongst others)
> after running my program:

> The thread 0xFFF59505 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
> The thread 0xFFF574D5 has exited with code -1 (0xFFFFFFFF).

> What do these exit codes mean?  Is the -1 a problem?

Could be - and could be not.

Quote:
> and if it is, how
> can I find what thread is referred to by 0xFFF574D5 or to put it
> another way how do I go about tracking down the cause of the problem?

In Visual Studio de{*filter*}, you can "Break" debugging, then go to
Debug/Threads. There you can see list of existing threads for your process.
Just "Set Focus" to the thread you are interested in and look up the call
stack window to find out which part of source code the thread does.

Sat, 05 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 A thread question challenge ! Who dares ?

Quote:

> True.. ok.  This is a better description of the problem...

> In my debug pane I get the following two entries (amongst others)
> after running my program:

> The thread 0xFFF59505 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
> The thread 0xFFF574D5 has exited with code -1 (0xFFFFFFFF).

> What do these exit codes mean?  Is the -1 a problem? and if it is, how
> can I find what thread is referred to by 0xFFF574D5 or to put it
> another way how do I go about tracking down the cause of the problem?

> Thank you.
> -Adrian

Did you start a second thread on your own?  I have noticed that some
AppWiz generated apps end up with two threads for no particular reason.
Checking their stack doesn't give much information and all they over do
is sit around in their message loop.  When the app terminates the
mystery thread doesn't have graceful exit routine. -1 seems to be the
exit code MFC gives to threads that are terminated at program completion
and don't have any termination code of their own.

This has just been my limited experience, I'm just starting to program
with threads.

Carlos

Sat, 05 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 A thread question challenge ! Who dares ?

Quote:

> True.. ok.  This is a better description of the problem...

> In my debug pane I get the following two entries (amongst others)
> after running my program:

> The thread 0xFFF59505 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
> The thread 0xFFF574D5 has exited with code -1 (0xFFFFFFFF).

> What do these exit codes mean?  Is the -1 a problem? and if it is, how
> can I find what thread is referred to by 0xFFF574D5 or to put it
> another way how do I go about tracking down the cause of the problem?

> Thank you.
> -Adrian

I don't have your original posting so I can just comment on this one :)

Common dialogs (CFileDialog, CPropertySheet...) do generate threads, and
they return -1 sometimes. I have always ignored this :o)

cU
--

                        http://djuga.home.ml.org
Retriever 1.0 is out:   http://retriever.home.ml.org

Shareware image viewer, thumbnailer & database

Sat, 05 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. challenging question on threads

2. How dare you!

3. No one dares to touch the source code?

4. If you dare......

5. A challenge question !!!

6. Challenge Question

7. Threaded -vs- Multi-threaded Question

8. Exe server threading model - events from worker thread question

9. threads, threads, and more threads

10. Challenge/Help VB.NET VC++.NET VC++6.0

11. Challenging Problem

12. Language Lawyer Challenge