Efficient Color Syntax Checking??
Author Message
 Efficient Color Syntax Checking??

Hey  yall

I'm working on an app that requires color syntax checking on larger ASCII
text files (80 + k, with RichEdit of course - color and size). The entire
line of text needs to be set to the appropriate color depending on the first
few characters of the line. I've tried a few things - all of which work -
but are terribly slow on larger files (FindText , then LineLength etc etc).
I've tried a few of the examples from CodeGuru - all of which are slow to
some degree on larger files.  As this app may be called from an already
resource hogging app, I'm looking for any ideas on how to efficiently walk
through a file, get the 1st few characters from a given line and set the
entire line to required pretty color  - any ideas would be greatly
appreciated.(Keep it simple - I'm in redneck country) :-)

Also - I've misplaced some examples on DDE conversations (I admit - I'm too
lazy to look) . Any ideas on  good DDE examples.

Thanks
Vince

Tue, 04 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Efficient Color Syntax Checking??
Have you tried a memory mapped file approach?
Quote:

> Hey  yall

> I'm working on an app that requires color syntax checking on larger ASCII
> text files (80 + k, with RichEdit of course - color and size). The entire
> line of text needs to be set to the appropriate color depending on the first
> few characters of the line. I've tried a few things - all of which work -
> but are terribly slow on larger files (FindText , then LineLength etc etc).
> I've tried a few of the examples from CodeGuru - all of which are slow to
> some degree on larger files.  As this app may be called from an already
> resource hogging app, I'm looking for any ideas on how to efficiently walk
> through a file, get the 1st few characters from a given line and set the
> entire line to required pretty color  - any ideas would be greatly
> appreciated.(Keep it simple - I'm in redneck country) :-)

> Also - I've misplaced some examples on DDE conversations (I admit - I'm too
> lazy to look) . Any ideas on  good DDE examples.

> Thanks
> Vince

Fri, 07 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Most efficient string variable initialize syntax?

2. Efficient algorithms for parity checking

3. how to check syntax of my codes in visual c++

4. Please check my syntax

5. sanity check: syntax for passing safearray to vb

6. Syntax checking program?

7. HELP with C syntax checking programm

8. Checking filename syntax

9. can't seem to get any template syntax checking working

10. Urgent:Please check the syntax

11. Syntax Coloring

12. Newbie: namesapce and syntax colors