wanted-news reader client sample code
Author Message
 wanted-news reader client sample code

I want to write my own news group reader/client.
Any leads on samples/examples/snippets of win32 calls to news servers
that will download/read headers/bodies is appreciated.
I've found samples for webservers (http) calls but not to news servers.

Please post reply.
Thanks

Sat, 09 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 wanted-news reader client sample code
I've been looking for this for a while now too.  I've been wanting to write
my own newsreader with my own way of marking/retrieving/storing messages
because OE doesn't do quite what I'd like...
Quote:

>I want to write my own news group reader/client.
>Any leads on samples/examples/snippets of win32 calls to news servers
>that will download/read headers/bodies is appreciated.
>I've found samples for webservers (http) calls but not to news servers.

>Please post reply.
>Thanks

Sat, 09 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 wanted-news reader client sample code
Read the RFCs, which describe the protocol in as much detail as
you can stand.

Depending on your budget, you might want to consider buying
a third-party control to help. I think mabry.com has one in
beta; I'm sure there are complete implementations out there
too. (I haven't needed one, so I haven't looked.)

You could also look at the source to an open-source newsreader
like SLRN; http://space.mit.edu/%7Edavis/slrn.html

 - Katy

Quote:

>I've been looking for this for a while now too.  I've been wanting to write
>my own newsreader with my own way of marking/retrieving/storing messages
>because OE doesn't do quite what I'd like...

>>I want to write my own news group reader/client.
>>Any leads on samples/examples/snippets of win32 calls to news servers
>>that will download/read headers/bodies is appreciated.
>>I've found samples for webservers (http) calls but not to news servers.

Sat, 09 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 wanted-news reader client sample code
Often I am referred to RFC's.  Where do I get the list of RFCs, and
where do I get the RFC's.

(I feel silly not knowing this...)

Quote:

>Read the RFCs, which describe the protocol in as much detail as
>you can stand.

>Depending on your budget, you might want to consider buying
>a third-party control to help. I think mabry.com has one in
>beta; I'm sure there are complete implementations out there
>too. (I haven't needed one, so I haven't looked.)

>You could also look at the source to an open-source newsreader
>like SLRN; http://space.mit.edu/%7Edavis/slrn.html

> - Katy

>>I've been looking for this for a while now too.  I've been wanting to
write
>>my own newsreader with my own way of marking/retrieving/storing messages
>>because OE doesn't do quite what I'd like...

>>>I want to write my own news group reader/client.
>>>Any leads on samples/examples/snippets of win32 calls to news servers
>>>that will download/read headers/bodies is appreciated.
>>>I've found samples for webservers (http) calls but not to news servers.

Sun, 10 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 wanted-news reader client sample code

Quote:

>Often I am referred to RFC's.  Where do I get the list of RFCs, and
>where do I get the RFC's.

>(I feel silly not knowing this...)

They're several places on the net. One place is here:
http://www.ietf.org/rfc.html

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

Sun, 10 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 wanted-news reader client sample code
Tim,

Thanks, found it!

For anyone else interested,  here's the NNTP protocol RFC0977

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc0977.txt

Rufus

Quote:

>>Often I am referred to RFC's.  Where do I get the list of RFCs, and
>>where do I get the RFC's.

>>(I feel silly not knowing this...)

>They're several places on the net. One place is here:
>http://www.ietf.org/rfc.html

>--
>Tim Slattery
>MS MVP(DTS)

Sun, 10 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Reply news is listed as separate message in my news reader

2. News Reader Source Code?

3. News Reader Source Code?

4. News Reader Source Code?

5. News reader test

6. Opened news reader after a long holiday?

7. HELP for news reader

8. news reader app?

9. how to create a news reader ?

10. HELP for news reader

11. news reader app?

12. Failure on news reader's search in this forum