Debugging child process, Startup .EXE for debugging DLL
Author Message
 Debugging child process, Startup .EXE for debugging DLL

I have a project in which a process (FooUI.exe.) creates a child process
(Foo.exe) and that child process uses a DLL (Something.dll).  I need to
debug all three components.

1) If I start the FooUI.exe under the de{*filter*}, how do I get that, or
another, de{*filter*} to attach to its child process Foo.exe?

2) When I originally debugged the DLL, Vstudio asked for the name of a
startup EXE and I set it to Foo.exe.  I would now like to change that to
FooUI.exe, but I cannot see anywhere to make that change.  I have looked
fairly thoroughly through the Project:Settings -- if only Vstudio would
prompt me again!

Thanks,
Wesley

Fri, 24 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Debugging child process, Startup .EXE for debugging DLL
For 4.x, you have it in the Debug tab of the Settings in the Build menu.

Johan Rosengren
Responsable Informatique
PACTA S.A.

Sat, 25 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Debugging child process, Startup .EXE for debugging DLL
Hi Wesly,

Quote:
> I have a project in which a process (FooUI.exe.) creates a child process
> (Foo.exe) and that child process uses a DLL (Something.dll).  I need to
> debug all three components.

> 1) If I start the FooUI.exe under the de{*filter*}, how do I get that, or
> another, de{*filter*} to attach to its child process Foo.exe?

You can start up another instance of DevStudio, and then use Build -> Start
Debug -> Attach to Process.

Quote:

> 2) When I originally debugged the DLL, Vstudio asked for the name of a
> startup EXE and I set it to Foo.exe.  I would now like to change that to
> FooUI.exe, but I cannot see anywhere to make that change.  I have looked
> fairly thoroughly through the Project:Settings -- if only Vstudio would
> prompt me again!

You can change it from Projects -> Settings, in the debug tab => "Executable for
Debug session".

--
Tomas Restrepo

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Fri, 31 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Debigging non-debug process and debug DLL

2. debugging a child process with gdb?

3. Debug into Child Process

4. Debugging Child Process with Visual C++ Debugger

5. Debugging Child Processes

6. Debugging child processes

7. debugging child process with VC4.2

8. Can one debug a child process?

9. how to debug child process

10. Debug spwan child process under VC

11. Problems debugging through IEXPLORE.EXE process

12. How To DEBUG ISAPI appl by attaching INETINFO.EXE process