Intercepting messages arriving for another running application
Author Message
 Intercepting messages arriving for another running application

I want to write an application which takes commands from messages arriving
in
another running application (a chat box). So, I need to be able to monitor
the messages arriving in
that chat application (on that specific port) from my own app. Any idea
where I begin with this?

Any help much appreciated...
Dave

Wed, 21 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Intercepting messages arriving for another running application

Quote:

> I want to write an application which takes commands from messages arriving
> in
> another running application (a chat box). So, I need to be able to monitor
> the messages arriving in
> that chat application (on that specific port) from my own app. Any idea
> where I begin with this?

> Any help much appreciated...
> Dave

You could start with the Spy++ utility to find out if the messages are displayed
in an edit control.  If so you are in luck.  You can read an edit control in any
process with SendMessage(hwnd, WM_GETTEXT...).  To get the hwnd you can hunt
around with FindWindow and EnumChildWindows.

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

Wed, 21 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Intercept Ctrl-alt-del / End-task window message when application terminiates abnormally

2. Error Message Trying to Run Any C# Application From IDE

3. intercept a message sent with SendMessage() ??

4. Intercepting other process messages

5. How to intercept private message in a window?

6. Intercept another window's messages?

7. Intercept message from modeless dlg

8. Intercept System Messages

9. How to intercept Mouse messages for embedded CWnd object

10. How to intercept Mouse messages for embedded CWnd object

11. Intercept keyboard messages

12. Intercepting Message from the X button on the title bar