VC 6.0 editor drop-downs going away
Author Message
 VC 6.0 editor drop-downs going away

This is where I'm typing source in VC 6.0, and it puts up those nice little
drop down lists of all the class memebrs to choose from after typing an
object and a dot or ->.  How many ways does that go away or not work?
I have all the browser info, the classwizard is working Ok, sometimes I can
get it, and I'm trying to figure out what makes it go away again.
I added a variable for a control with class wizard, and it went away.  At
some point it came back again.  I added a few calls to iostream this and
that, it went away.  Etc..

Everything compiles, links, runs fine, but in the source of my dialog class
it won't give me drop-downs.
Know any specific triggers that cause it to stop working?
(I'm on Win2K)

Tue, 24 May 2005 22:39:28 GMT
 VC 6.0 editor drop-downs going away
Mark,

For me, the autocompletion is an erratic guest, making celebrated
appearances every now and then, but most of the time making itself know by
its absence.

It seems to work best if you write code in the correct *order*, always
declaring variables before using them, implementing classes after declaring
them and before using them etc. So, my guess is that people like me and you
will have to live without it, or code in a more structured way :-))) A guess
is that the parsing mechanism when you write would be awfully complex and
thus slow if the code completion was flexible enough.

Johan Rosengren
Abstrakt Mekanik AB

Quote:
> This is where I'm typing source in VC 6.0, and it puts up those nice
little
> drop down lists of all the class memebrs to choose from after typing an
> object and a dot or ->.  How many ways does that go away or not work?
> I have all the browser info, the classwizard is working Ok, sometimes I
can
> get it, and I'm trying to figure out what makes it go away again.
> I added a variable for a control with class wizard, and it went away.  At
> some point it came back again.  I added a few calls to iostream this and
> that, it went away.  Etc..

> Everything compiles, links, runs fine, but in the source of my dialog
class
> it won't give me drop-downs.
> Know any specific triggers that cause it to stop working?
> (I'm on Win2K)

Wed, 25 May 2005 10:11:38 GMT
 VC 6.0 editor drop-downs going away

Quote:

> This is where I'm typing source in VC 6.0, and it puts up those nice little
> drop down lists of all the class memebrs to choose from after typing an
> object and a dot or ->.  How many ways does that go away or not work?
> I have all the browser info, the classwizard is working Ok, sometimes I can
> get it, and I'm trying to figure out what makes it go away again.
> I added a variable for a control with class wizard, and it went away.  At
> some point it came back again.  I added a few calls to iostream this and
> that, it went away.  Etc..

> Everything compiles, links, runs fine, but in the source of my dialog class
> it won't give me drop-downs.
> Know any specific triggers that cause it to stop working?
> (I'm on Win2K)

This is probably obvious, but if you add a variable of any struct or class, the dropdown
will not work with that variable until a compilation pass.

One quite often enters text containing a variable that has just been defined, before
the dropdowns are available.

--
Quandon

Wed, 25 May 2005 12:12:06 GMT
 VC 6.0 editor drop-downs going away

Quote:

> This is probably obvious, but if you add a variable of any struct or
class, the dropdown
> will not work with that variable until a compilation pass.

> One quite often enters text containing a variable that has just been
defined, before
> the dropdowns are available.

After full compilation, link, everything done, going inside a class member
and typing this-> doesn't make the autocomplete appear.

Wed, 25 May 2005 15:58:07 GMT
 VC 6.0 editor drop-downs going away
Many times the .ncb file gets confused...just delete it and VC will rebuild
it
cleanly when you open your project. This usually clears up lots of auto
complete bugs.

Quote:

> > This is probably obvious, but if you add a variable of any struct or
> class, the dropdown
> > will not work with that variable until a compilation pass.

> > One quite often enters text containing a variable that has just been
> defined, before
> > the dropdowns are available.

> After full compilation, link, everything done, going inside a class member
> and typing this-> doesn't make the autocomplete appear.

Wed, 25 May 2005 16:53:36 GMT
 VC 6.0 editor drop-downs going away
Woo hoo!  I was thinking of deleting that and many other project files (CLW,
OPT, CLW, etc).
So I just killed the NCB and brought it back up, and presto:
this->AutoComplete(isOn).

Thanks!

- Mark

Quote:
> Many times the .ncb file gets confused...just delete it and VC will
rebuild
> it
> cleanly when you open your project. This usually clears up lots of auto
> complete bugs.

> > > This is probably obvious, but if you add a variable of any struct or
> > class, the dropdown
> > > will not work with that variable until a compilation pass.

> > > One quite often enters text containing a variable that has just been
> > defined, before
> > > the dropdowns are available.

> > After full compilation, link, everything done, going inside a class
member
> > and typing this-> doesn't make the autocomplete appear.

Wed, 25 May 2005 19:07:56 GMT

1. wizard drop down function lists goes grey

2. beginner: problems going from vc++ 5 to 6.0

3. VC 6.0 Dialog editor Combobox height resize

4. VC 6.0 editor extremely slow!

5. file pointer goes away

6. Go away

7. MS Monopoly thread: GO AWAY

8. LNK6004 Error will not go away

9. Alloc mem goes away aft ret

10. Does MFC go away with the .NET framework?

11. Is MFC going away?

12. PopUpMenu won't go away!