how to install oct 97 msdn on a different drive?
Author Message
 how to install oct 97 msdn on a different drive?

Guys

   I have vc5.0,vss and vinterdev on drive c:\program files\devstudio.
I now want to install the entire oct msdn library (950mb) on a different
drive (d:) because I have lots of room there. I can not figure out how to
do this.
Does any one know how to? If I can install it to drive d:, could I just as
easily install it to drive m:, where m: is a network mapped drive on a
server?

Bob

Mon, 31 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 how to install oct 97 msdn on a different drive?

Quote:
> Guys

>    I have vc5.0,vss and vinterdev on drive c:\program files\devstudio.
> I now want to install the entire oct msdn library (950mb) on a different
> drive (d:) because I have lots of room there. I can not figure out how to
> do this.

You can do the minimum installation, create a "D:\MSDN" folder, and copy
all the .ivt files off the MSDN cds into this folder.  When DevStudio asks
you to put in the CD-ROM, enter "D:\MSDN" into the path box.  Thereafter it
will read everything from D:\MSDN.

Mon, 31 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 how to install oct 97 msdn on a different drive?

On CD-1 there is a readme.txt file which contain...

Installing from a network:

To allow for installation from a network, all contents from CD 1 and
CD 2 must be combined into the same folder, called "MSDN1", on a
network share. THE FOLDER SHOULD HAVE THE SAME
DIRECTORY STRUCTURE AS CD 1. FILES FROM CD 2 SHOULD
BE COPIED INTO MATCHING DIRECTORIES IN THE "MSDN1"
FOLDER. If a user attempts a full installation of the MSDN Library
from a share that has the contents of CD 1 and CD 2 in separate
folders, Setup will fail. (Note: To install the full contents of the MSDN
Library on your hard drive, select the Books Online option from the
Custom Install dialog box. This option requires 935 MB of disk space.)

What they meant was copy both CDs to a shared sub-directory on your server.
Have all users uninstall any current version then run 'Setup' from there.
Make sure they select 'Typical' version when prompted.  This will setup to
run from
then network using only 22M on local drive.

I haven't tried copying and then installing from another local drive but it
seem like it
would work.  Let me know how it turns out.

Good Luck,
Merk

Quote:

>Guys

>   I have vc5.0,vss and vinterdev on drive c:\program files\devstudio.
>I now want to install the entire oct msdn library (950mb) on a different
>drive (d:) because I have lots of room there. I can not figure out how to
>do this.
>Does any one know how to? If I can install it to drive d:, could I just as
>easily install it to drive m:, where m: is a network mapped drive on a
>server?

>Bob

Mon, 31 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. MSDN CD on a different drive

2. MSDN and Developer Studio 97

3. C++ 5.0 and MSDN Developer-InterDev Edition(97) KeyWord Search Problem

4. MSDN and Developer Studio 97

5. MSDN Oct '98 and VC++ 5

6. Problems Installing VC 5.0 (from Visual Studio 97)

7. Problems Installing VC 5.0 (from Visual Studio 97)

8. DON'T INSTALL VISUAL STUDIO 97

9. Visual Studio 97 SP2 install prob

10. ? Is It Safe to Install Jan99 MSDN in VisualStudio 97 Partition ?

11. msdn docs drive me nuts, help find CDaoTableDef connect string format description

12. MSDN discs on shared CD drives?