Cannot press tab to move to a tab control after using WS_EX_CONTROLPARENT
Author Message
 Cannot press tab to move to a tab control after using WS_EX_CONTROLPARENT

I am trying to put a tab control in a dialog with other edit
controls.  I am creating three frameless child dialogs with the
tab control as the parent.

If I do not set the WS_EX_CONTROLPARENT style to the
tab control, I am able to press the tab key to get to the tab
control, but I can never tab to the current child dialog.  If I set
the WS_EX_CONTROLPARENT style, I can now tab to the
current child dialog, but the tab key completely skips over the
tab control.

I have tried to set the WS_TABSTOP style to the tab control
but it hasn't made any difference.  Ideally, I want to be able to
press the tab key to select the tab control, then press the tab
key again to move to the first control in the child dialog.

Help?

John Jolly
----
Complete SEARCHING, BROWSING, and POSTING of text and BINARY messages!

Mon, 17 Nov 2003 22:48:51 GMT
 Cannot press tab to move to a tab control after using WS_EX_CONTROLPARENT
<RANT>
Damn the unintuitive interface design of Microsoft products!!!
</RANT>

Figured out that I should rather assign the main dialog as the
parent of the child dialogs and not set that *stupid*
WS_EX_CONTROLPARENT style to the tab control.  After
playing around with the dialog positioning, everything now
looks and works fine.

So, what did I learn from this?  That the Win32 tab control is
mearly a pretty bauble that gives you an event when the tab
is changed.  Now, if only I could figure out how to hot-key to
the different tabs, I'd be in business.  But that's not very
{*filter*}y likely.

John Jolly

http://www.*-*-*.com/
messageID=24756856&folder=microsoft.public.vc.mfc
----
Complete SEARCHING, BROWSING, and POSTING of text and BINARY messages!

Tue, 18 Nov 2003 01:37:38 GMT

1. Moving the first tab in a tab control over a bit

2. WM_GETDLGCODE & WS_EX_CONTROLPARENT and tabbing problem

3. Tab key to tab between controls does not work properly

4. want tab control with tabs on bottom

5. Tab Control - disabling a tab

6. Article: Implementing drag 'n drop tab sorting in a tab control

7. Tab Control Ctrl-Tab-Keys

8. Tab control: separate a tab

9. Using Enter to move through tab sequence?

10. Cannot get correct TAB order when using MSMASK32.OCX in Property Sheets

11. Disabling individual tabs on a tab control

12. Tab control and tab order