Which is a good Book for MFC Beginner.
Author Message
 Which is a good Book for MFC Beginner.

Fri, 16 Sep 2005 09:58:31 GMT
 Which is a good Book for MFC Beginner.
Read Jeff Prosise's "Programming Windows with MFC", second
edition.
Read articles and code on codeguru.com / codeproject.com.
The MFC samples in MSDN are excellent, but they take a
long time even before we can start understanding it.

-Harish

Quote:

Fri, 16 Sep 2005 13:11:37 GMT
 Which is a good Book for MFC Beginner.
I use
Programming windows with MFC Second Edition by Jeff Prosise.
That's good, I read it from cover to cover and I learnt stuff that would
have taken me years of experimenting.

Sat, 17 Sep 2005 03:48:10 GMT
 Which is a good Book for MFC Beginner.
Has this book been obsoleted at all with Windows XP?
Not sure how current it is.

-Mark

Quote:
> I use
> Programming windows with MFC Second Edition by Jeff Prosise.
> That's good, I read it from cover to cover and I learnt stuff that would
> have taken me years of experimenting.

Sat, 17 Sep 2005 00:10:54 GMT
 Which is a good Book for MFC Beginner.
I used Beginning MFC Programming by Ivor Horton  (Wrox) It progressed in
graduated steps and taught me alot about the basics of the classes and how
they relate to each other by building a real application.

Bob

Quote:
> Has this book been obsoleted at all with Windows XP?
> Not sure how current it is.

> -Mark

> > I use
> > Programming windows with MFC Second Edition by Jeff Prosise.
> > That's good, I read it from cover to cover and I learnt stuff that would
> > have taken me years of experimenting.

Sat, 17 Sep 2005 02:16:11 GMT
 Which is a good Book for MFC Beginner.

Quote:

> Has this book been obsoleted at all with Windows XP?
> Not sure how current it is.

> -Mark

The Jeff Prosise book is excellent and I have been recommending it for
years.  XP is very minor issue, but if you are using VC.Net the book
loses a lot of value because the VC menus and GUI totally changed.

"Programming with Microsoft Visual C++ .Net" by George Shepherd and
David Kruglinski is an update of a classic and very good MFC book and it
uses the new .Net IDE.

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

Sat, 17 Sep 2005 03:12:02 GMT
 Which is a good Book for MFC Beginner.
Scott,

Cool.  Do you have any thoughts on Blaszczak's book"Professional MFC with
Visual C++"  ??

-Mark

Quote:

> > Has this book been obsoleted at all with Windows XP?
> > Not sure how current it is.

> > -Mark

> The Jeff Prosise book is excellent and I have been recommending it for
> years.  XP is very minor issue, but if you are using VC.Net the book
> loses a lot of value because the VC menus and GUI totally changed.

> "Programming with Microsoft Visual C++ .Net" by George Shepherd and
> David Kruglinski is an update of a classic and very good MFC book and it
> uses the new .Net IDE.

> --
> Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

Sat, 17 Sep 2005 06:08:33 GMT
 Which is a good Book for MFC Beginner.

Quote:

> Scott,

> Cool.  Do you have any thoughts on Blaszczak's book"Professional MFC with
> Visual C++"  ??

> -Mark

It is deeper and has more info than the other books mentioned.  To cram
all this material in it goes pretty fast, and is probably too
overwhelming for most beginners. There are some treasures in there, but
you need to know enough to know what you can safely skip.

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

Sat, 17 Sep 2005 13:46:16 GMT
 Which is a good Book for MFC Beginner.
Mark,

Scott is right about the Blaszack book, but if you're serious about
continuing with MFC, I would get it; that book has helped me immensly on
many occasions. (Plus he's entertaining  :)  )

Bob

Quote:

> > Scott,

> > Cool.  Do you have any thoughts on Blaszczak's book"Professional MFC
with
> > Visual C++"  ??

> > -Mark

> It is deeper and has more info than the other books mentioned.  To cram
> all this material in it goes pretty fast, and is probably too
> overwhelming for most beginners. There are some treasures in there, but
> you need to know enough to know what you can safely skip.

> --
> Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

Sat, 17 Sep 2005 15:32:25 GMT
 Which is a good Book for MFC Beginner.

Quote:
> Mark,

> Scott is right about the Blaszack book, but if you're serious about
> continuing with MFC, I would get it; that book has helped me immensly on
> many occasions. (Plus he's entertaining  :)  )

esp if you are a hockey or elvis fan!...

rlf

Quote:
> Bob

> > > Scott,

> > > Cool.  Do you have any thoughts on Blaszczak's book"Professional MFC
> with
> > > Visual C++"  ??

> > > -Mark

> > It is deeper and has more info than the other books mentioned.  To cram
> > all this material in it goes pretty fast, and is probably too
> > overwhelming for most beginners. There are some treasures in there, but
> > you need to know enough to know what you can safely skip.

> > --
> > Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

Sun, 18 Sep 2005 01:15:53 GMT
 Which is a good Book for MFC Beginner.

Quote:

> It is deeper and has more info than the other books mentioned.  To cram
> all this material in it goes pretty fast, and is probably too
> overwhelming for most beginners. There are some treasures in there, but
> you need to know enough to know what you can safely skip.

I asked because that book (Blaszczak's) is the only one I own on the subject
and was my introductory written source.  I kinda like his writing style, as
he imparts a good degree of levity in what he writes. I have been reading it
cover to cover and am about ? way through right now.   While a good
reference, there do seem to be some gaping holes in that book (and countless
misspellings) , though.

Anyhow, on your recommendation, I bought Presise's book and anxiously await
its arrival.

-Mark

Sun, 18 Sep 2005 02:08:04 GMT
 Which is a good Book for MFC Beginner.

Quote:
> Mark,

> Scott is right about the Blaszack book, but if you're serious about
> continuing with MFC, I would get it; that book has helped me immensly on
> many occasions. (Plus he's entertaining  :)  )

I completely agree about the entertainment value and I am serious about
continuing.

I bought both his VC++% and then VC++ 6 editions of his books and started in
chapter 1 and read straight.  I delved into that book as my only source, as
a MFC beginner. Of course, I have been a C++ Unix developer for 18 years or
so, so I was not a programming beginner, just one with MFC.

-Mark

Sun, 18 Sep 2005 02:11:06 GMT
 Which is a good Book for MFC Beginner.
The book I open most is MFC Answers by Eugene Kain, ISBN 0-201-18537-7.

Strictly speaking, it is neither a beginner's book nor a tutorial at all,
but I learned a great deal of what I know about MFC from it.

Best Regards
Julian N.

Sun, 18 Sep 2005 13:51:28 GMT

1. whats a good beginner book on mfc

2. Recommendations for a good VC++ book and MFC book

3. Recommendations for a good VC++ book and MFC book

4. Recommend a good C-book for a beginner.

5. Best Beginners C Book

6. (OT) Good beginners book

7. Good book on C for beginners??

8. a good beginner's book

9. Good book for c programmer beginners!!

10. Looking for a good beginners' C book

11. Good C for beginners book?

12. WTD: Good book for beginner on UNIX/C Programming