Default Icon Hell: MFC Icon appears even after file and IDR_MAINFRAME changed
Author Message

    I don't know why this happens, but every time I try changing the default
icon by modifying the IDR_MAINFRAME icon or the [projname].ico file I can't
get the change to stick.  I'll check the ico file in Windows Explorer and it
will look like the MFC default, but if I check its properties it looks like
my modified version.  The same works for the program that is built.  I've
even tried using TweakUI to rebuild the icon cache but that doesn't help.
    How should I be changing the default icon?  Or am I doing it right and
some cache just can't keep up with the change?  Any advice would help.

Thu, 02 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
Did you change the 16x16 icon for your project... You can select it from
Device combobox when you are editing the icon in you msdev editor...

-K2/GG

Quote:

>    I don't know why this happens, but every time I try changing the
default
>icon by modifying the IDR_MAINFRAME icon or the [projname].ico file I can't
>get the change to stick.  I'll check the ico file in Windows Explorer and
it
>will look like the MFC default, but if I check its properties it looks like
>my modified version.  The same works for the program that is built.  I've
>even tried using TweakUI to rebuild the icon cache but that doesn't help.
>    How should I be changing the default icon?  Or am I doing it right and
>some cache just can't keep up with the change?  Any advice would help.

Thu, 02 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

Quote:

>     I don't know why this happens, but every time I try changing the default
> icon by modifying the IDR_MAINFRAME icon or the [projname].ico file I can't
> get the change to stick.  I'll check the ico file in Windows Explorer and it
> will look like the MFC default, but if I check its properties it looks like
> my modified version.  The same works for the program that is built.  I've
> even tried using TweakUI to rebuild the icon cache but that doesn't help.
>     How should I be changing the default icon?  Or am I doing it right and
> some cache just can't keep up with the change?  Any advice would help.

It is an initiation rite.  Welcome to the club.

There is a big icon and a small icon in your app.  You have to edit both of them.  Go to the icon editor and note the dropdown combo box above your icon.  Switch it to the little one and paint that sucker too.

Thu, 02 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
you need to change both 16x16 and 32x32 icons. In resource editor for icon
use the dropdown to select the size

Rajesh Parikh
Microsoft Certified Solution Developer

>    I don't know why this happens, but every time I try changing the
default
>icon by modifying the IDR_MAINFRAME icon or the [projname].ico file I can't
>get the change to stick.  I'll check the ico file in Windows Explorer and
it
>will look like the MFC default, but if I check its properties it looks like
>my modified version.  The same works for the program that is built.  I've
>even tried using TweakUI to rebuild the icon cache but that doesn't help.
>    How should I be changing the default icon?  Or am I doing it right and
>some cache just can't keep up with the change?  Any advice would help.

Fri, 03 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Interesting Icon Dilemma - Icon HELL

2. HOWTO change the MFC default icon in SDI

3. How to change the MFC default sample icon ?

4. Changing default MFC icon

5. How to change the mfc icon with our own icon in the SDI applications

6. Document template icon doesn't appear with my saved file

7. TitleBar (and TaskBar) Icon - How do I change the default

8. Help changing the default Icon after/at Compiling?

9. Changing default 'small icon'

10. How to change the default application icon

11. Lost my Icon IDR_MAINFRAME

12. Lost my Icon IDR_MAINFRAME