Software Protection
Author Message
 Software Protection

I have a program just about ready for marketing, but would like to use some
type of copy protection to prevent unauthorized use, even though this is not
a big ticked item from the stand point of cost (maybe $90 -$140 per seat).

I have found many references to software protection programs on the web that
regulate unauthorized use of a distributed/sold program and offer a whole
host of other features. So many that it's difficult to judge which to
choose. Is there a site that rates or compares these products for features
and cost, etc.? Also, any suggested products would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dennis

Tue, 23 Sep 2003 23:01:06 GMT
 Software Protection

Quote:
> I have a program just about ready for marketing, but would like to use
some
> type of copy protection to prevent unauthorized use, even though this is
not
> a big ticked item from the stand point of cost (maybe $90 -$140 per seat).

> I have found many references to software protection programs on the web
that
> regulate unauthorized use of a distributed/sold program and offer a whole
> host of other features. So many that it's difficult to judge which to
> choose. Is there a site that rates or compares these products for features
> and cost, etc.? Also, any suggested products would be appreciated.

> Thanks,

> Dennis

unfortunatelly I don't know of pages for rating / comparing different copy
protection schemes, I read several discussions on usenet concerning copy
protection code etc., perhaps since the price of the software is very low a
simple protection based on hard disk serial number would be Ok, you can read
the hard disk serial number (and / or some other hardware device data) and
produce some kind of installation code, the user e-mails you this
installation code and you e-mail a key (authorization code) to unlock the
software.
This is very easy to create and works quite well, there are some problems :
1) the code for accessing hard disk serial number, manufacturer etc. is
quite complicate, however there are examples on the net, go to the sites
discussing device drivers etc.
2) If the user substitutes the hard disk (or changes in some way the serial
number of the hard disk) he/she needs another authorization code.
3) the same if the user wish to move the software on a different computer.

in my opinion benefits are :
1) the price is paid for each installation, this means that you can keep the
price very low (for example 50% or less compared to unprotected software)
2) you can distribute the software via Internet (no dongles or similar
devices required) , just a site for download, the user downloads the
software which starts as evaluation, if the software sounds Ok the user pays
the money and you email the authorization code.
3) you can trace each installation

Thu, 25 Sep 2003 00:55:27 GMT
 Software Protection

Please refer to this site
http://www.antionline.com/antisearch/Computers/Security/Products_and_...
ryptography/.

I hope it can help you.

yhhuang
ICQ:91074870

Fri, 26 Sep 2003 11:40:36 GMT

1. Software Protection ?

2. Software Protection Survey

3. software protection question

4. Software protection ?????

5. Software Protection Device Analysis / Emulation

6. NOTE: Software Protection Device - DONGLE Emulation

7. creating software protection

8. Anti-copying software protection

9. Software Protection?

10. piracy - software protection solution?

11. Software protection...

12. Software Locking / Copy Protection ......HELP!!!