Software distribution comcat.dll comctl32.dll ......
Author Message
 Software distribution comcat.dll comctl32.dll ......

We are having some issues again with our product install (Installsheidl 5.1)
concerning the msflexgrid.  It seems like every third or fourth test build
of the install image, we have a major problem with this control.  It just
will not display and we get some really flaky messages from our app, mBoxes
dispalying when there is no way they should be in that part of the code.....
I have traced the problem do to the point where the grid is instaniated,
blah blah blah.

Where I think our problem lies is in the OLE/COM 'sub-system'.  We know we
are dependant on files like comcat.dll, comctl32, olepro, asycflt..... and
the like.  These problems only seem to occur on base Win95 (the dreaded
floppy installs), which means we probably upgrade all of these files, or at
least some of them.

How do we know exactly what we need to ship with our product?  This is a
very frustrating thing for us and has almost made us shy s\away from COM
alltogether.

Thanks,

Chris

Thu, 13 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Software distribution comcat.dll comctl32.dll ......

Chris,
To find dependencies u can use dependency viewer (which comes with vc 6.0) or
commandline tool Dumpbin with /exports switch.

Lokesh

Quote:

> We are having some issues again with our product install (Installsheidl 5.1)
> concerning the msflexgrid.  It seems like every third or fourth test build
> of the install image, we have a major problem with this control.  It just
> will not display and we get some really flaky messages from our app, mBoxes
> dispalying when there is no way they should be in that part of the code.....
> I have traced the problem do to the point where the grid is instaniated,
> blah blah blah.

> Where I think our problem lies is in the OLE/COM 'sub-system'.  We know we
> are dependant on files like comcat.dll, comctl32, olepro, asycflt..... and
> the like.  These problems only seem to occur on base Win95 (the dreaded
> floppy installs), which means we probably upgrade all of these files, or at
> least some of them.

> How do we know exactly what we need to ship with our product?  This is a
> very frustrating thing for us and has almost made us shy s\away from COM
> alltogether.

> Thanks,

> Chris

Fri, 14 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Software distribution comcat.dll comctl32.dll ......
I've similar problems using active-x controls in win95 (first try).

Quote:
> Where I think our problem lies is in the OLE/COM 'sub-system'.

You're right. You can download the dcom98 upgrade from microsoft, which
can be distributed with your app. This solves lots of problems but not all.
The best platform using ole/com/dcom is win95 (B or C Version) and installing
the
dcom update.
Quote:
> We know we
> are dependant on files like comcat.dll, comctl32, olepro, asycflt..... and
> the like.  These problems only seem to occur on base Win95 (the dreaded
> floppy installs), which means we probably upgrade all of these files, or at
> least some of them.

> How do we know exactly what we need to ship with our product?  This is a
> very frustrating thing for us and has almost made us shy s\away from COM
> alltogether.

> Thanks,

> Chris

Fri, 14 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Software distribution comcat.dll comctl32.dll ......

Unfortunately, the MS web site tells that dcom98 1.3 is not
redistributable. Everyone can load it from MS free but it is not nice
to explain this to client that wants to buy your product.

Quote:

>I've similar problems using active-x controls in win95 (first try).

>> Where I think our problem lies is in the OLE/COM 'sub-system'.

>You're right. You can download the dcom98 upgrade from microsoft, which
>can be distributed with your app. This solves lots of problems but not all.
>The best platform using ole/com/dcom is win95 (B or C Version) and installing
>the
>dcom update.

Timo Kettunen
Pragmasoft Oy
Remove the "nospam." from email to get the real address

Sun, 16 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Distribution of comctl32.dll?

2. Distribution of comctl32.dll?

3. comcat.dll

4. mfc dll and comctl32.dll

5. VC++ and OLEAUT32.DLL/COMCTL32.DLL

6. Central-Software Software distribution

7. WTL and comctl32.dll problem ??

8. activex from comctl32.dll ?

9. Symbols for comctl32.dll

10. comctl32.dll version 5.80 debugging symbols?

11. Err:Initialization of Comctl32.dll failed.The process is terminating abnormally

12. comctl32.dll tooltip hanging Visual Studio