My .rc file must be writable when compiling
Author Message
 My .rc file must be writable when compiling

Hi.

We are using VC5.0 with SP3. Our problem is when using Visual SourceSafe all
files are read-only when they are not checked out and writeable.
The problem is that most of the times we compile our resource file , *.rc
must be writable, even though we dont touch the resource tabs and do
anything here.
It might be just as simple as open up the workface, edit some lines, try to
compile, but then the ide wants to save the rc file for some reason.

Surely, we cant all check out the rc file, and keeping the rc file writable
doesnt seem like a good idea.

Any help is appreciated.

Yours,

Ole Andreas Grytdal

Tue, 01 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 My .rc file must be writable when compiling
I  have used the same setup, and it doesn't want to rewrite my rc file
unless I open it up and make a change. Granted, that is very easy to
do, and I pretty much have to say no dont save to a new filename and
exit the app to clear it up. Maybe in your case you have a database or
something in there so it wants to re-create it each time you compile?
Usually it will just create a res file from the rc. - Doug S.
Quote:

> Hi.

> We are using VC5.0 with SP3. Our problem is when using Visual SourceSafe all
> files are read-only when they are not checked out and writeable.
> The problem is that most of the times we compile our resource file , *.rc
> must be writable, even though we dont touch the resource tabs and do
> anything here.
> It might be just as simple as open up the workface, edit some lines, try to
> compile, but then the ide wants to save the rc file for some reason.

> Surely, we cant all check out the rc file, and keeping the rc file writable
> doesnt seem like a good idea.

> Any help is appreciated.

> Yours,

> Ole Andreas Grytdal

Tue, 01 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 My .rc file must be writable when compiling
Try "Tools | Options", select the Compatability tab, and check the "Protect
read-only files from editing" option. - I use Epsilon compatability, but it's
there in all emulations.
Hope this helps,

Dave Burgess

Quote:

> Hi.

> We are using VC5.0 with SP3. Our problem is when using Visual SourceSafe all
> files are read-only when they are not checked out and writeable.
> The problem is that most of the times we compile our resource file , *.rc
> must be writable, even though we dont touch the resource tabs and do
> anything here.
> It might be just as simple as open up the workface, edit some lines, try to
> compile, but then the ide wants to save the rc file for some reason.

> Surely, we cant all check out the rc file, and keeping the rc file writable
> doesnt seem like a good idea.

> Any help is appreciated.

> Yours,

> Ole Andreas Grytdal

Tue, 01 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 My .rc file must be writable when compiling
Are you by chance using some sort of macro to automatically increment your version number on your builds?  If so, this will need the rc file since that is where the build number is stored.

>Hi.

>We are using VC5.0 with SP3. Our problem is when using Visual SourceSafe all
>files are read-only when they are not checked out and writeable.
>The problem is that most of the times we compile our resource file , *.rc
>must be writable, even though we dont touch the resource tabs and do
>anything here.
>It might be just as simple as open up the workface, edit some lines, try to
>compile, but then the ide wants to save the rc file for some reason.

>Surely, we cant all check out the rc file, and keeping the rc file writable
>doesnt seem like a good idea.

>Any help is appreciated.

>Yours,

>Ole Andreas Grytdal

Tue, 01 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. My .rc file must be writable when compiling

2. creating and compiling .rc file

3. Help on RC.EXE for compiling 16 bit RES files

4. Searching for am Hungarian afxres.rc

5. Problem writing to a writable file

6. compiling of common.rc

7. compiling of common.rc

8. (RC) conditional compile on string table

9. ghostic afxres.h file in version rc file

10. A DLL file in the resources file .RC

11. RC files and including .H files

12. AFXRES.RC and AFXPRINT.RC in turkey language