design question - multiple documents below the app level
Author Message
 design question - multiple documents below the app level

I am attempting to utilize MFC to create an application that will interact, via
sockets, with remote hosts.  A remote host can provide different types of data,
depending upon what is requested (e.g. a list of users on the remote host, a list
of files on the remote host etc.).

I would like the application to be able to connect to different hosts.  Thus the
first thing the user sees is a list of hosts to connect to.  I plan to have each
host be a seperated document.  Once a host window (document) is opened I would
like the ability to open "documents" for each data type the host can provide.

My question is, does MFC allow this?  Can I just have in my "host document" a
pointer to a list of document templates?  Or is this way off base in how MFC
should be used?  Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.  Thank you in
advance for your consideration

Sat, 02 Aug 2003 02:14:23 GMT
 design question - multiple documents below the app level

MFC will allow this, but it won't give you much help as you depart from the
simple common doc/view solution.  I like your idea, and I think you can make it
work, but you'll probably want to spend some time browsing the MFC source to get
a good sense for the architecture, since you'll need to reinvent or override a
lot of it.

  marsco3.vcf
< 1K Download

Sat, 02 Aug 2003 12:32:42 GMT

1. Question concerning app with multiple document templates

2. Single vs. Multiple Document design

3. How to show documents in the MDI app in separate top level windows (mainframes)

4. How to show documents in the MDI app in separate top level windows (mainframes)

5. Multiple documents or multiple views one document

6. Multiple documents or multiple views one document

7. multiple document instances in SDI app

8. MUltiple Document MFC App

9. How to modify the Title of each view in Multiple view / one document app

10. Multiple ChildFrames on a document in a MDI app...(HOWTO)

11. Multiple documents in MFC MDI APP

12. multiple document-types within SDI-app