PostMessage compile error: non-static member function
Author Message
 PostMessage compile error: non-static member function

I have some simple generic classes I've created as helper classes.
Since they're outside the MFC object tree it seems the easiest way
for them to communicate with the MFC defined ojbects is via
PostMessage(). They don't need to send data to the MFC objects, just
notify them when to perform certain actions. When I try to make
PostMessage() calls from my generic classes I get the compile error:

error C2352: CWnd::PostMessageA : illegal call of a non-static member
function.

I don't think there's a way to cast this error away. But I expect to
be able to call PostMessage from a defined class. I can't figure out
if there are some header files I need to include, or what else its
looking for. Since it knows what the definition of PostMessage() is,
a missing header file doesn't strike me as the problem. Its not an
argument thing. Since I use PostMessage() elsewhere I know how to
make it work. The arguments for PostMessage are simple anyway. As
you would expect, I get the same error for SendMessage().

(using the CWindow::PostMessage() doesn't work, since its a namespace
violation, which really doesn't surprise me)

Thanks in advance for any help.

B^2

Sun, 17 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PostMessage compile error: non-static member function
Well, B^2, you must have an instance of a CWnd-dervied class to be able to
use PostMessage - if you try to post into thin air, who will receive the
message?
If you want to send messages to the main window of the application using
your classes, you might want to check AfxGetMainWnd, you might set up your
classes (the ctor, for example) to have a CWnd* memner that is used
communicating, or even - a very brutal solution - register a couple of
messages (RegisterWindowMessage), just broadcasting them over the whole
system. The potential receivers will of course have to register the same
messages.

Johan Rosengren
Responsable Informatique
PACTA S.A.

Quote:
> I have some simple generic classes I've created as helper classes.
> Since they're outside the MFC object tree it seems the easiest way
> for them to communicate with the MFC defined ojbects is via
> PostMessage(). They don't need to send data to the MFC objects, just
> notify them when to perform certain actions. When I try to make
> PostMessage() calls from my generic classes I get the compile error:

> error C2352: CWnd::PostMessageA : illegal call of a non-static member
> function.

> I don't think there's a way to cast this error away. But I expect to
> be able to call PostMessage from a defined class. I can't figure out
> if there are some header files I need to include, or what else its
> looking for. Since it knows what the definition of PostMessage() is,
> a missing header file doesn't strike me as the problem. Its not an
> argument thing. Since I use PostMessage() elsewhere I know how to
> make it work. The arguments for PostMessage are simple anyway. As
> you would expect, I get the same error for SendMessage().

> (using the CWindow::PostMessage() doesn't work, since its a namespace
> violation, which really doesn't surprise me)

> Thanks in advance for any help.

> B^2

Mon, 18 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PostMessage compile error: non-static member function
Johann has given you some pointers in the right direction; for some
additional information, you might want to read my essay on message
management on my MVP Tips site. But the key idea he gives is critical:
you have to have a target window to post the message to.
                                joe

On Thu, 1 Jun 2000 10:05:42 +0200, "Johan Rosengren"

Quote:

>Well, B^2, you must have an instance of a CWnd-dervied class to be able to
>use PostMessage - if you try to post into thin air, who will receive the
>message?
>If you want to send messages to the main window of the application using
>your classes, you might want to check AfxGetMainWnd, you might set up your
>classes (the ctor, for example) to have a CWnd* memner that is used
>communicating, or even - a very brutal solution - register a couple of
>messages (RegisterWindowMessage), just broadcasting them over the whole
>system. The potential receivers will of course have to register the same
>messages.

>Johan Rosengren
>Responsable Informatique
>PACTA S.A.

>> I have some simple generic classes I've created as helper classes.
>> Since they're outside the MFC object tree it seems the easiest way
>> for them to communicate with the MFC defined ojbects is via
>> PostMessage(). They don't need to send data to the MFC objects, just
>> notify them when to perform certain actions. When I try to make
>> PostMessage() calls from my generic classes I get the compile error:

>> error C2352: CWnd::PostMessageA : illegal call of a non-static member
>> function.

>> I don't think there's a way to cast this error away. But I expect to
>> be able to call PostMessage from a defined class. I can't figure out
>> if there are some header files I need to include, or what else its
>> looking for. Since it knows what the definition of PostMessage() is,
>> a missing header file doesn't strike me as the problem. Its not an
>> argument thing. Since I use PostMessage() elsewhere I know how to
>> make it work. The arguments for PostMessage are simple anyway. As
>> you would expect, I get the same error for SendMessage().

>> (using the CWindow::PostMessage() doesn't work, since its a namespace
>> violation, which really doesn't surprise me)

>> Thanks in advance for any help.

>> B^2

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]

Web: http://www3.pgh.net/~newcomer

Mon, 18 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PostMessage compile error: non-static member function
Looks like I didn't make it very clear. -- I do have a target for the
PostMessage(). And target is a CWnd derivative.  I have the recepient
functions set up and the message defined,  incremented from WM_APP in
the normal way. Since the error is compile time, and not run time, It
might occur from calling PostMessage() from a non CWnd derived class.
In Johann's terminology the sender is non CWnd derived.  PostMessage
is a simple call. Its not hard to make it work. It just that I can't
figure out what MVC needs to resolve "illegal call of a non-static
member function" error to let me to call PostMessage from a non-CWnd
derived class.

Thanks again for your help.

B^2

Quote:
> Johann has given you some pointers in the right direction; for some
> additional information, you might want to read my essay on message
> management on my MVP Tips site. But the key idea he gives is critical:
> you have to have a target window to post the message to.
>                                 joe

> On Thu, 1 Jun 2000 10:05:42 +0200, "Johan Rosengren"

> >Well, B^2, you must have an instance of a CWnd-dervied class to be able to
> >use PostMessage - if you try to post into thin air, who will receive the
> >message?
> >If you want to send messages to the main window of the application using
> >your classes, you might want to check AfxGetMainWnd, you might set up your
> >classes (the ctor, for example) to have a CWnd* memner that is used
> >communicating, or even - a very brutal solution - register a couple of
> >messages (RegisterWindowMessage), just broadcasting them over the whole
> >system. The potential receivers will of course have to register the same
> >messages.

> >Johan Rosengren
> >Responsable Informatique
> >PACTA S.A.

> >> I have some simple generic classes I've created as helper classes.
> >> Since they're outside the MFC object tree it seems the easiest way
> >> for them to communicate with the MFC defined ojbects is via
> >> PostMessage(). They don't need to send data to the MFC objects, just
> >> notify them when to perform certain actions. When I try to make
> >> PostMessage() calls from my generic classes I get the compile error:

> >> error C2352: CWnd::PostMessageA : illegal call of a non-static member
> >> function.

> >> I don't think there's a way to cast this error away. But I expect to
> >> be able to call PostMessage from a defined class. I can't figure out
> >> if there are some header files I need to include, or what else its
> >> looking for. Since it knows what the definition of PostMessage() is,
> >> a missing header file doesn't strike me as the problem. Its not an
> >> argument thing. Since I use PostMessage() elsewhere I know how to
> >> make it work. The arguments for PostMessage are simple anyway. As
> >> you would expect, I get the same error for SendMessage().

> >> (using the CWindow::PostMessage() doesn't work, since its a namespace
> >> violation, which really doesn't surprise me)

> >> Thanks in advance for any help.

> >> B^2

Tue, 19 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PostMessage compile error: non-static member function
Perhaps a line of code, with the PostMessage as you use it?
Something like pWnd->PostMessage(..., ::PostMessage(m_hRecipientHwnd...,
will work - but it's difficult to say what your problem is by guessing, in
this case.

Johan Rosengren
Responsable Informatique
PACTA S.A.

Quote:
> Looks like I didn't make it very clear. -- I do have a target for the
> PostMessage(). And target is a CWnd derivative.  I have the recepient
> functions set up and the message defined,  incremented from WM_APP in
> the normal way. Since the error is compile time, and not run time, It
> might occur from calling PostMessage() from a non CWnd derived class.
> In Johann's terminology the sender is non CWnd derived.  PostMessage
> is a simple call. Its not hard to make it work. It just that I can't
> figure out what MVC needs to resolve "illegal call of a non-static
> member function" error to let me to call PostMessage from a non-CWnd
> derived class.

> Thanks again for your help.

> B^2

> > Johann has given you some pointers in the right direction; for some
> > additional information, you might want to read my essay on message
> > management on my MVP Tips site. But the key idea he gives is critical:
> > you have to have a target window to post the message to.
> >                                 joe

> > On Thu, 1 Jun 2000 10:05:42 +0200, "Johan Rosengren"

> > >Well, B^2, you must have an instance of a CWnd-dervied class to be able
> > >use PostMessage - if you try to post into thin air, who will receive
the
> > >message?
> > >If you want to send messages to the main window of the application
using
> > >your classes, you might want to check AfxGetMainWnd, you might set up
your
> > >classes (the ctor, for example) to have a CWnd* memner that is used
> > >communicating, or even - a very brutal solution - register a couple of
> > >messages (RegisterWindowMessage), just broadcasting them over the whole
> > >system. The potential receivers will of course have to register the
same
> > >messages.

> > >Johan Rosengren
> > >Responsable Informatique
> > >PACTA S.A.

Tue, 19 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PostMessage compile error: non-static member function
If you have the CWnd object as, say, CWnd * wnd, you can write
        wnd->PostMessage(...)
and that should work. If you wrote
        PostMessage(wnd->m_hWnd, ...)
then the PostMessage is interpreted as the PostMessage member of the
enclosing CWnd * class. You can also write
        ::PostMessage(wnd->m_hWnd,...)
but that doesn't gain much over the first form.
                                joe

On Fri, 02 Jun 2000 08:56:38 -0700, brent baker

Quote:

>Looks like I didn't make it very clear. -- I do have a target for the
>PostMessage(). And target is a CWnd derivative.  I have the recepient
>functions set up and the message defined,  incremented from WM_APP in
>the normal way. Since the error is compile time, and not run time, It
>might occur from calling PostMessage() from a non CWnd derived class.
>In Johann's terminology the sender is non CWnd derived.  PostMessage
>is a simple call. Its not hard to make it work. It just that I can't
>figure out what MVC needs to resolve "illegal call of a non-static
>member function" error to let me to call PostMessage from a non-CWnd
>derived class.

>Thanks again for your help.

>B^2

>> Johann has given you some pointers in the right direction; for some
>> additional information, you might want to read my essay on message
>> management on my MVP Tips site. But the key idea he gives is critical:
>> you have to have a target window to post the message to.
>>                                 joe

>> On Thu, 1 Jun 2000 10:05:42 +0200, "Johan Rosengren"

>> >Well, B^2, you must have an instance of a CWnd-dervied class to be able to
>> >use PostMessage - if you try to post into thin air, who will receive the
>> >message?
>> >If you want to send messages to the main window of the application using
>> >your classes, you might want to check AfxGetMainWnd, you might set up your
>> >classes (the ctor, for example) to have a CWnd* memner that is used
>> >communicating, or even - a very brutal solution - register a couple of
>> >messages (RegisterWindowMessage), just broadcasting them over the whole
>> >system. The potential receivers will of course have to register the same
>> >messages.

>> >Johan Rosengren
>> >Responsable Informatique
>> >PACTA S.A.

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]

Web: http://www3.pgh.net/~newcomer

Tue, 19 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PostMessage compile error: non-static member function
Sorry about the delay on this thread, I lost my net connection for about
1 1/2 days.  Here's the code that giving me the grief. --

The call from the non-CWnd derived class is:

// these headers are included at top of the file, which are the ones the
// wizard includes. I've wondered if afxwin.h needs to be included, but
// including it doesn't help.

    #include "stdadx.h"
    #include "my_app.h"             // the main application header file

    #define UWM_DISPLAY_ZOOM (WM_APP + 3)     // plain vanilla message

// down in the .cpp file -- this is the line that compiler finds offensive

        CWnd::PostMessage(UWM_DISPLAY_ZOOM, 0, 0);

// other variations that fail equally well

        CWnd::PostMessage(UWM_DISPLAY_ZOOM);
        CWindow::PostMessage(UWM_DISPLAY_ZOOM, 0, 0);

To recap, the compile time error message is:

    error C2352: 'CWnd::PostMessageA' : illegal call of non-static member
function

It appears the compiler knows about PostMessage() and that the arguments are
not the issue, but that its some sort of scoping problem. Beyond that, I'm
not sure what it needs.

The sender isn't a generic CWnd class, its in a generic class, not derived
from anything. I guess technically, that counts as a base class, although
nothing is ever derived from it. Do I need to derive it from CWnd for
PostMessage to work? I was hoping to avoid that, for reasons a bit too
complex to explain here. -- In the sample provided by Johan, I need to
give PostMessage() a handle of some sort to the target window, if the current
window is not the target. I saw nothing like this is the MSDN docs. I figured
all the windows belonging to the current thread (or process?) were possible
targets and if they had a function to catch the message, they could. Your code
makes me think I'm mistaken on this point?

As before, I'm most grateful for your assistance.

B^2

Quote:
> Perhaps a line of code, with the PostMessage as you use it?
> Something like pWnd->PostMessage(..., ::PostMessage(m_hRecipientHwnd...,
> will work - but it's difficult to say what your problem is by guessing, in
> this case.

> Johan Rosengren
> Responsable Informatique
> PACTA S.A.

> > Looks like I didn't make it very clear. -- I do have a target for the
> > PostMessage(). And target is a CWnd derivative.  I have the recepient
> > functions set up and the message defined,  incremented from WM_APP in
> > the normal way. Since the error is compile time, and not run time, It
> > might occur from calling PostMessage() from a non CWnd derived class.
> > In Johann's terminology the sender is non CWnd derived.  PostMessage
> > is a simple call. Its not hard to make it work. It just that I can't
> > figure out what MVC needs to resolve "illegal call of a non-static
> > member function" error to let me to call PostMessage from a non-CWnd
> > derived class.

> > Thanks again for your help.

> > B^2

> > > Johann has given you some pointers in the right direction; for some
> > > additional information, you might want to read my essay on message
> > > management on my MVP Tips site. But the key idea he gives is critical:
> > > you have to have a target window to post the message to.
> > >                                 joe

> > > On Thu, 1 Jun 2000 10:05:42 +0200, "Johan Rosengren"

> the
> using
> your
> same

Wed, 20 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PostMessage compile error: non-static member function
Hi, Brent!

CWnd has a member function called PostMessage. It is not static which means
that you must call it thru an instantiated object that derives from CWnd.
You can not do what you seem to be doing...

CWnd::PostMessage(...)

you will need to use an instantiated and created (IsWindow(m_hWnd) == TRUE)
CWnd object (or obtain a pointer to it), and call the member function in it
or thru it. Like...

AfxGetMainWnd()->PostMessage(...)

Jeff...

Quote:

> [...]

in
>> this case.

>> Johan Rosengren
>> Responsable Informatique
>> PACTA S.A.

>> > Looks like I didn't make it very clear. -- I do have a target for the
>> > PostMessage(). And target is a CWnd derivative.  I have the recepient
>> > functions set up and the message defined,  incremented from WM_APP in
>> > the normal way. Since the error is compile time, and not run time, It
>> > might occur from calling PostMessage() from a non CWnd derived class.
>> > In Johann's terminology the sender is non CWnd derived.  PostMessage
>> > is a simple call. Its not hard to make it work. It just that I can't
>> > figure out what MVC needs to resolve "illegal call of a non-static
>> > member function" error to let me to call PostMessage from a non-CWnd

Wed, 20 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Illegal call of non-static member function (error)?

2. Error C2352 - illegal call of non-static member function

3. Compiler Error C2352: illegal call of non-static member function

4. Getting pointer to non-static member function from C callback function

5. Using Non-Static Callback Functions as member Functions VC5.0

6. illegal call of non-static member function

7. using non-static member functions using delegates

8. CALLBACK and non-static member function problem!

9. Using Non-Static Callbacks as member functions VC 5.0

10. illegal call of non-static member function

11. illegal call of non-static member function *HELP*

12. iilegal call of non-static member function