How to put out some text at cursor position in any window
Author Message
 How to put out some text at cursor position in any window

How to put out some text at cursor position in any window with text entry?
Any function doing this ?
Any help would be appreciated.

regards, Alex

Sun, 05 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 How to put out some text at cursor position in any window

Quote:
>How to put out some text at cursor position in any window with text entry?

Alex,

Your question is a bit vague, but reading between the lines I think
you could just create a child edit control (CEdit) and position it at
the current mouse position.

Dave
--
MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq

Sun, 05 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 How to put out some text at cursor position in any window

SetCursorPos(...) & DrawText(...)

Cheers
Check Abdoul
-------------------

Quote:
> >How to put out some text at cursor position in any window with text
entry?

> Alex,

> Your question is a bit vague, but reading between the lines I think
> you could just create a child edit control (CEdit) and position it at
> the current mouse position.

> Dave
> --
> MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
> My address is altered to discourage junk mail.
> Please post responses to the newsgroup thread,
> there's no need for follow-up email copies.

Sun, 05 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 How to put out some text at cursor position in any window

Quote:
>SetCursorPos(...) & DrawText(...)

I suspect that he also wanted to edit the text in-place.

Dave
--
MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq

Sun, 05 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 How to put out some text at cursor position in any window
There are two concepts in Windows which are disjoint: "Cursor" is that
thing that we move around with a mouse. "Caret" is the blinking line
that says where text will be put. As someone for whom video displays
were new technology (when I started, we used punched cards, and walked
barefoot in the snow three miles to the card reader...<senile cackle
here>) and spent 20 years working with character-based displays before
using Windows, I still use the terminology sloppily, and often say
"cursor" when officially I should be saying "caret".

There are several answers, depending on what you mean. For example, to
get text at the cursor, like a tooltip, you can either use tooltips or
you can create your own window. This "puts text at the cursor".

I suspect you mean, how do you insert text at the caret position. And
this probably means you are in an edit control, since there is no
general mechanism for "any window with text entry"...that's a lot
harder problem, since "any window" can be implementing whatever it
feels like to draw the text and move the caret. If you mean "any edit
control", however, the answer is very simple: ReplaceSel.
                                joe

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000 10:51:20 +0200, "A. Lewandowski"

Quote:

>How to put out some text at cursor position in any window with text entry?
>Any function doing this ?
>Any help would be appreciated.

>regards, Alex

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]

Web: http://www3.pgh.net/~newcomer

Sun, 05 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 How to put out some text at cursor position in any window
Thank you guys for rapid answering.
Yes, my question is a bit vague. I want to program an application that
putting my email address right in an edit window  at caret pos. by an
keystroke of me.

Kind regards,
Alex

:
:

Quote:
> I suspect you mean, how do you insert text at the caret position. And
> this probably means you are in an edit control, since there is no
> general mechanism for "any window with text entry"...that's a lot
> harder problem, since "any window" can be implementing whatever it
> feels like to draw the text and move the caret. If you mean "any edit
> control", however, the answer is very simple: ReplaceSel.
> joe

> On Wed, 19 Jul 2000 10:51:20 +0200, "A. Lewandowski"

> >How to put out some text at cursor position in any window with text
entry?
> >Any function doing this ?
> >Any help would be appreciated.

> >regards, Alex

Tue, 07 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Getting cursor position and text from OE compose window (Internet Explorer_Server)

2. rich text box cursor position?

3. how to set the position of the text-cursor ?!°

4. Determining cursor position in text box in C++ .NET

5. setting the position of the text cursor

6. : How to find current cursor position in app window

7. Cursor position in Edit control window of a dialog

8. Putting simple text in Windows

9. Computing the ClientRect position from Window position

10. SetCursor() cursor keeps switching back to window class cursor

11. (Q) Finding the Label of the Cursor ( at least standard cursors) for a given Window

12. Finding the Label of the Cursor ( at least standard cursors) for a given Window