creating a simple FTP program
Author Message
 creating a simple FTP program

I'm fixing to have to write an FTP program for a class...and I've never
programmed any type of networking apps (which is why I chose an FTP
program.)

Anyway, I want to write it kind of low-level.  I'll be reinventing the wheel
a little because I'm not going to be using any MFC classes that deal with
FTP.

I know I need to interface with Winsock, but I have no idea how.  Can
somebody tell me where to start?  What interfaces with what?  Will I be
communicating with Winsock...giving it info, data, addresses, then let IT
ship the data over the network?  That's how I understand it now.

Thanks,

Aaron

Sun, 24 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 creating a simple FTP program
Aaron,

       Not sure if this is exactly what you want, but these 2 sites may get
you started:

http://www.{*filter*}port.com/~tangent/programming/winsock/resources/sampl...

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Quote:
> I'm fixing to have to write an FTP program for a class...and I've never
> programmed any type of networking apps (which is why I chose an FTP
> program.)

> Anyway, I want to write it kind of low-level.  I'll be reinventing the
wheel
> a little because I'm not going to be using any MFC classes that deal with
> FTP.

> I know I need to interface with Winsock, but I have no idea how.  Can
> somebody tell me where to start?  What interfaces with what?  Will I be
> communicating with Winsock...giving it info, data, addresses, then let IT
> ship the data over the network?  That's how I understand it now.

> Thanks,

> Aaron

Mon, 25 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 creating a simple FTP program
Communicating with Winsock is not necessarily the (direct) way to accomplish
sockets programming.  Take a look at CSocket, an MFC class that packages sockets
nicely.  I have not played with it much, but from what I have seen, it uses the
same interfaces as common socket programming in other operating systems such as
Unix. You will be opening a socket (on the standard ftp port) and communicating
over the FTP protocol with the server.  The sockets act like pipes in a sense,
where you will hand it data, (after connected) and the TCP takes care of the
rest!

Good luck,
Brian Genisio

Quote:

> I'm fixing to have to write an FTP program for a class...and I've never
> programmed any type of networking apps (which is why I chose an FTP
> program.)

> Anyway, I want to write it kind of low-level.  I'll be reinventing the wheel
> a little because I'm not going to be using any MFC classes that deal with
> FTP.

> I know I need to interface with Winsock, but I have no idea how.  Can
> somebody tell me where to start?  What interfaces with what?  Will I be
> communicating with Winsock...giving it info, data, addresses, then let IT
> ship the data over the network?  That's how I understand it now.

> Thanks,

> Aaron

Sat, 30 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. How to program a simple ftp client

2. Simple FTP Server needed

3. Help with simple FTP daemon

4. Simple FTP Server Source

5. Simple file download via FTP

6. Calling a simple FORTRAN subroutine from my simple C program

7. Simple Diagramming Program for C Language Programs

8. How to create a FTP server using MFC?

9. Programmatically create FTP directory

10. New FTP Archive for Source Code and Programming Utilities

11. ftp program

12. Remote copy or ftp within a C program