LoadString returning odd strings
Author Message
 LoadString returning odd strings

Hello,

I've been playing around with a sample application and have stumbled
upon a strange behavior. The pre-compiled version of the application
seems to work fine. However, when I make the executable using
Visual C++ 6.0 on Windows 98 Second Edition, I see something strange.
When using both File->Open or File->Save As, the standard file dialog
pops up but where I would normally see the "Save As" or "Open" dialog
title, I see "______".  I've noticed other incidents where I see
_______ in place of some standard text and have concluded that the
problem involves LoadString somehow.  I have run the same executable
on Windows 95 with no strange behavior.

Does this behavior sound familiar?  Can anyone suggest a solution?

Thanks,
Thuy

Sat, 18 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 LoadString returning odd strings

Quote:

> Are you compiling non English resources on an English Windows without
> the corresponding code page support installed?

No, everything is standard and in English.

-Thuy

Sat, 18 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 LoadString returning odd strings
On Tue, 01 Aug 2000 16:47:09 -0700, Thuy Nguyen

Quote:

>Hello,

>I've been playing around with a sample application and have stumbled
>upon a strange behavior. The pre-compiled version of the application
>seems to work fine. However, when I make the executable using
>Visual C++ 6.0 on Windows 98 Second Edition, I see something strange.
>When using both File->Open or File->Save As, the standard file dialog
>pops up but where I would normally see the "Save As" or "Open" dialog
>title, I see "______".  I've noticed other incidents where I see
>_______ in place of some standard text and have concluded that the
>problem involves LoadString somehow.  I have run the same executable
>on Windows 95 with no strange behavior.

>Does this behavior sound familiar?  Can anyone suggest a solution?

Are you compiling non English resources on an English Windows without
the corresponding code page support installed?

Eddie

Sun, 19 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 LoadString returning odd strings
On Tue, 01 Aug 2000 18:46:49 -0700, Thuy Nguyen

Quote:

>> Are you compiling non English resources on an English Windows without
>> the corresponding code page support installed?

>No, everything is standard and in English.

It is strange. I have seen a similar kind of thing on a couple of
occasions but with dialog item text. I  "fixed" it by opening the .rc
file in text mode and cutting and pasting in order to rearrange the
order of the offending items and then recompiling.  Really weird.

However this was with Japanese text on a Japanese Windows.

Eddie

Sun, 19 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. CValidateContext Validate returning odd results in ATL Server

2. help registering a DLL, odd return code?

3. Very odd string problem

4. odd string

5. Odd String Problems

6. passing character strings to functions with return string

7. Return string or string&

8. Fread returns 0, ferror returns 0, feof returns 16

9. CStringT::LoadString() causes assert; KB150764 not helpful

10. CString::LoadString( UINT )

11. Other CString::LoadString like functions?

12. LoadString