supporting XP, 2000, NT, and 98
Author Message
 supporting XP, 2000, NT, and 98

Originally, we decided to require either Windows 2000 or XP.  But our client
has now decided that we need to support NT 4.0 and Windows 98 as well.

I tried running my application on an NT 4.0 box and it seems to run ok
except that all the menus have what looks like a graphics character instead
of text.

I'm building the app with Visual C++ 6.0 sp 5.  Does anyone know if there is
anything special I need to do to make sure the application runs on all 4
operating systems?  Would there happen to be any on-line documentation that
spells out the differences between the various operating systems and how
they impact development.

Any input appreciated.

Sat, 26 Mar 2005 17:15:50 GMT
 supporting XP, 2000, NT, and 98

Quote:

> Originally, we decided to require either Windows 2000 or XP.  But our client
> has now decided that we need to support NT 4.0 and Windows 98 as well.

> I tried running my application on an NT 4.0 box and it seems to run ok
> except that all the menus have what looks like a graphics character instead
> of text.

> I'm building the app with Visual C++ 6.0 sp 5.  Does anyone know if there is
> anything special I need to do to make sure the application runs on all 4
> operating systems?  Would there happen to be any on-line documentation that
> spells out the differences between the various operating systems and how
> they impact development.

> Any input appreciated.

The most important "anything special" that you must do is make sure you
don't use any API functions that are not available on the target
platforms.  To do this review the settings in the help page "Using the
SDK headers."  By using the proper #defines in your project you will
cause compile errors if any unsupported API functions are called.

The documentation for each API function lists the OS version
compatibility for that function.

Unfortunately, the only good way to make sure it runs on all four
platforms is to test it thoroughly on all four platforms.  NT, 2K and XP
are very closely related, but Win98 is a whole different story and would
require extra care in testing.

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

Sun, 27 Mar 2005 00:32:02 GMT

1. Program runs ONCE in 98/ME, works fine in Xp/NT/2000

2. Getting MAC Address in WIndows 98 and NT/2000/NT

3. Different mnemonics behaviour on 95/98 and 2000/XP

4. Hoop Api for XP/2000/98

5. Print Driver that calls my dialog for 98, NT, 2000

6. strcpy(x, x) works in NT/2000 but not 95/98

7. Reading registry values in 95/98 compared to NT/2000

8. Win 2000 built OCX won't load on a WIn NT or 98 system

9. IPC windows 95/98/NT/2000

10. Programming for NT/2000/XP and 9x/ME

11. MS QuickC 2.5 Graphics on NT, 2000, XP

12. How can I lock keyboard and mouse on Windows 9X and Windows NT/2000/XP