Release version behaving differently to debug (vc6)
Author Message
 Release version behaving differently to debug (vc6)

Hi,

Could someone give me some pointers as to why my Release code works
and my debug doesn't?

I've designed a Neural Network that trains just fine except in debug.
Are variables handled with less precision? (Scratching my head for
other possibilities). It's complicated to debug neuron by neuron, but
all the algorithm does is simple arithmetic on double data types...

Hope someone can help...

Cheers

Sat, 10 Sep 2005 15:44:45 GMT
 Release version behaving differently to debug (vc6)
See if this helps:

http://www.flounder.com/debug_release.htm

Quote:
> Hi,

> Could someone give me some pointers as to why my Release code works
> and my debug doesn't?

> I've designed a Neural Network that trains just fine except in debug.
> Are variables handled with less precision? (Scratching my head for
> other possibilities). It's complicated to debug neuron by neuron, but
> all the algorithm does is simple arithmetic on double data types...

> Hope someone can help...

> Cheers

Sat, 10 Sep 2005 15:51:19 GMT
 Release version behaving differently to debug (vc6)
the debug version of new and delete do some extra memory initialization and
testing for memory leaks that are not done in the release versions.  if you
try to use an uninitialized array or accidently index past the end of a
'new'ed array you may get different results as there will probably be random
garbage there in the release code but not in debug.  it is always a good
idea to initialize all member variables to known values in constructors and
if you are 'new'ing raw arrays of basic data types to clear them immediately
after creation.  also of course watch for indexing past defined array
limits.

Quote:
> Hi,

> Could someone give me some pointers as to why my Release code works
> and my debug doesn't?

> I've designed a Neural Network that trains just fine except in debug.
> Are variables handled with less precision? (Scratching my head for
> other possibilities). It's complicated to debug neuron by neuron, but
> all the algorithm does is simple arithmetic on double data types...

> Hope someone can help...

> Cheers

Sat, 10 Sep 2005 15:58:23 GMT
 Release version behaving differently to debug (vc6)

Quote:

> Hi,

> Could someone give me some pointers as to why my Release code works
> and my debug doesn't?

> I've designed a Neural Network that trains just fine except in debug.
> Are variables handled with less precision? (Scratching my head for
> other possibilities). It's complicated to debug neuron by neuron, but
> all the algorithm does is simple arithmetic on double data types...

> Hope someone can help...

> Cheers

What exactly are the symptoms you get in the debug build?  An error
message or ASSERT statement would be helpful.

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

Sun, 11 Sep 2005 01:08:44 GMT
 Release version behaving differently to debug (vc6)

Quote:

>What exactly are the symptoms you get in the debug build?  An error
>message or ASSERT statement would be helpful.

None - it runs fine but it won't train like the release version does.
Something's happening with the training algorithm but I just can't
figure out what.

Sun, 11 Sep 2005 13:13:01 GMT

1. Release version works differently then the debug version on VC6

2. FYI: Debug and Release version behave differently with code mixing float and double

3. Left shift behaves differently in Debug and Release

4. q] release and debug mode runs differently

5. ctreectrl responds differently in debug vs release

6. Exceptions handlers dehaving differently in debug/release

7. q] release and debug mode runs differently

8. Debug version - Release version

9. Debug version ok but release version problem

10. Debug Version and Release Version

11. Win32 debug version and Win32 release version

12. Why the Font size is not same between Debug version and Release Version