Property Sheets v/s Tabbed Control
Author Message
 Property Sheets v/s Tabbed Control

Guys !

Which is the better of the two - Property Sheets or Tabbed Control.
Needless to say I am new to VC++. Could some one tell me the pros and
cons. I am able to achieve the same functionality with both the
controls.

Would appreciate your input.

Thanks.

--
Vijay Raghavacharian

voice: 650-372-6246
fax: 650-372-6200

Cambridge Technology Partners (415-574-3710)
1300 South El Camino Real, Suite 600
San Mateo, CA 94402
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Mon, 18 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Property Sheets v/s Tabbed Control

Well, they're sort of the same thing.  Not much difference.  The tabbed
control actually is something that you drag over to your dialog box
template and there it lies.  The CPropertySheet and CPropertyPage are the
classes that back that puppy up.  Unless you really want to wired up the
behavior of the control yourself, which is sometimes what you have to do...
 but not usually.

Generally speaking, one doesn't use the tab control (well... it's a matter
of preference, really).  One creates a series of dialog boxes, according to
the rules that apply to create dialog boxes fit to be CPropertyPage
templates: one for each tab on the tabbed dialog you are wishing to create.
 Then, at run time, you create a CPropertySheet object, instead of your
average dialog box, then you call AddPage for each of the dialog boxes that
make up each of the tabbed pages on that puppy.  Then you instantiate it
with a call to DoModal.  Is that clear at all -- or have I run too much
together at once?

There's sample code in the online dox associated with CPropertySheet.  It's
really quite easy.

Quote:
> Guys !

> Which is the better of the two - Property Sheets or Tabbed Control.
> Needless to say I am new to VC++. Could some one tell me the pros and
> cons. I am able to achieve the same functionality with both the
> controls.

> Would appreciate your input.

> Thanks.

> --
> Vijay Raghavacharian

> voice: 650-372-6246
> fax: 650-372-6200

> Cambridge Technology Partners (415-574-3710)
> 1300 South El Camino Real, Suite 600
> San Mateo, CA 94402
> http://www.ctp.com

Mon, 18 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Property Sheets v/s Tabbed Control

  How can I do this w/out having the [Apply] button show up and get the
resulting Property Page onto a CFormView database view?

  I've been wrestling with this problem for around a month and a half and I
got it to work using several buttons and showing/hiding controls based on
the selected button.  I know it's GOT TO BE easier using the Property Page
mechanism.

Thanks if you can help,
Dylan Bourque

Quote:

>Generally speaking, one doesn't use the tab control (well... it's a matter
>of preference, really).  One creates a series of dialog boxes, according to
>the rules that apply to create dialog boxes fit to be CPropertyPage
>templates: one for each tab on the tabbed dialog you are wishing to create.
> Then, at run time, you create a CPropertySheet object, instead of your
>average dialog box, then you call AddPage for each of the dialog boxes that
>make up each of the tabbed pages on that puppy.  Then you instantiate it
>with a call to DoModal.  Is that clear at all -- or have I run too much
>together at once?

>There's sample code in the online dox associated with CPropertySheet.  It's
>really quite easy.

Tue, 19 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Property Sheets v/s Tabbed Control

Quote:

> How can I do this w/out having the [Apply] button show up and get the
> resulting Property Page onto a CFormView database view?

> I've been wrestling with this problem for around a month and a half and I
> got it to work using several buttons and showing/hiding controls based on
> the selected button.  I know it's GOT TO BE easier using the Property Page
> mechanism.

Look at <http://www.codeguru.com>, lots of info about propertysheets.

Markus
--
<http://www-ia.hiof.no/~markusg/>

Tue, 19 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Property Sheets v/s Tabbed Control

See this KB article "How to Hide the Apply Button in CPropertySheet" ID:
Q141039
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q141/0/39.asp
--
Girish Bharadwaj  [VC++/MVP]
Please dont send email queries.Post them here.

|  How can I do this w/out having the [Apply] button show up and get the
|resulting Property Page onto a CFormView database view?
|
|  I've been wrestling with this problem for around a month and a half and I
|got it to work using several buttons and showing/hiding controls based on
|the selected button.  I know it's GOT TO BE easier using the Property Page
|mechanism.
|
|Thanks if you can help,
|Dylan Bourque

|>Generally speaking, one doesn't use the tab control (well... it's a matter
|>of preference, really).  One creates a series of dialog boxes, according
|>the rules that apply to create dialog boxes fit to be CPropertyPage
|>templates: one for each tab on the tabbed dialog you are wishing to
create.
|> Then, at run time, you create a CPropertySheet object, instead of your
|>average dialog box, then you call AddPage for each of the dialog boxes
that
|>make up each of the tabbed pages on that puppy.  Then you instantiate it
|>with a call to DoModal.  Is that clear at all -- or have I run too much
|>together at once?
|>
|>There's sample code in the online dox associated with CPropertySheet.
It's
|>really quite easy.

Tue, 19 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Property Sheets v/s Tabbed Control

CodeGuru has some property sheet stuff, but as a matter of personal
preference, I like to use the Tab Control... That's what it was created for
in the first place.  To that end, I've got a CTabControl wrapper class that
you may or may not be able to use, check here to find out:

http://members.tripod.com/~anti_snoop/mfc.htm

Tue, 19 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Property Sheets v/s Tabbed Control

Quote:
> Guys !

> Which is the better of the two - Property Sheets or Tabbed Control.
> Needless to say I am new to VC++. Could some one tell me the pros and
> cons. I am able to achieve the same functionality with both the
> controls.

> Would appreciate your input.

> Thanks.

You can use the CProperySheet/CPropertyPages whenever you need the standard
setup (Client area that changes when one clicks the tabs at the top or
bottom)

The "pure" CTabCtrl can be used for different things, eg when you want the
tabs on a totally seperate window. You can treat the TabCtrl as a kind of
"dynamic toolbar" (eg. the Windows Taskbar is a TabCtrl)

cU
--

                        http://djuga.home.ml.org
Retriever 1.0 is out:   http://retriever.home.ml.org

Shareware image viewer, thumbnailer & database

Tue, 19 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Property sheet with no tab control?

2. Tab Control and Property Sheet

3. Property Sheets and Tab Control

4. Property Sheets and Tab Control

5. Tab control VS. Property sheet

6. Tab and property sheets control...

7. Property Sheet Tab Control and TCS_VERTICAL Style

8. Subclass tab control in property sheet?

9. Tab Controls and Property Sheets

10. Tab Control or Property Sheet?

11. TAB Controls or Property SHeet/Pages?

12. moving tab control in a property sheet