Making a visible control hidden during execution
Author Message
 Making a visible control hidden during execution

I have a dialog in a Regular MFC DLL.  No problem access the DLL and all
that, but I want to be able to set different characteristics of the
dialog.  For instance, in the Resource editor, everything is visible and
enabled, but I want to be able to call some setup functions prior to the
DoModal call of the dialog object that will disable and/or make the
component invisible.  I can't seem to find any methods that do this.
For instance, if there is a check button that the application does not
want to use and even see for that matter, I want to make it invisible
and disable it so that the user has no idea about that component.  If
anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.
Thanks in advance,
rich

Mon, 31 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Making a visible control hidden during execution

In your dialog's OnInitDialog message handler you can either map your
controls to control type members:

m_MyEditControl.ShowWindow(SW_HIDE);

or use GetDlgItem:

CWnd* pWnd = GetDlgItem(IDC_MY_EDIT_CONTROL);
pWnd->ShowWindow(SW_HIDE);

Than you can show them at some other time.

--
Douglas Peterson
Software Engineer

Quote:

>I have a dialog in a Regular MFC DLL.  No problem access the DLL and all
>that, but I want to be able to set different characteristics of the
>dialog.  For instance, in the Resource editor, everything is visible and
>enabled, but I want to be able to call some setup functions prior to the
>DoModal call of the dialog object that will disable and/or make the
>component invisible.  I can't seem to find any methods that do this.
>For instance, if there is a check button that the application does not
>want to use and even see for that matter, I want to make it invisible
>and disable it so that the user has no idea about that component.  If
>anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.
>Thanks in advance,
>rich

Mon, 31 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Making a visible control hidden during execution

Rich,

Just call ShowWindow(SW_HIDE); to hide the control and ShowWindow(SW_SHOW);
to show it again.

GetDlgItem(ID_MYCONTROL)->ShowWindow(SW_HIDE);

HTH,

Tom

Quote:

> I have a dialog in a Regular MFC DLL.  No problem access the DLL and all
> that, but I want to be able to set different characteristics of the
> dialog.  For instance, in the Resource editor, everything is visible and
> enabled, but I want to be able to call some setup functions prior to the
> DoModal call of the dialog object that will disable and/or make the
> component invisible.  I can't seem to find any methods that do this.
> For instance, if there is a check button that the application does not
> want to use and even see for that matter, I want to make it invisible
> and disable it so that the user has no idea about that component.  If
> anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.
> Thanks in advance,
> rich

Mon, 31 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Making a visible control hidden during execution

Thanks.
I actually figured that one out and then slapped my head, because it's soo
easy.  But my other obstacle is that it's easy to use ShowWindow on say a
CButton because the resource has an object associated with it.  But I would
also like to hide any Group Boxes, which in this dialog (which I didn't write,
so that's probably half the problem) does not have a control object associated
with it.  And it seems as though I don't know where or how to associate an
object with the group box resource.  For one, there is no CGroupBox, unless
it's something like a button.

thanks, rich

Quote:

> Rich,

> Just call ShowWindow(SW_HIDE); to hide the control and ShowWindow(SW_SHOW);
> to show it again.

> GetDlgItem(ID_MYCONTROL)->ShowWindow(SW_HIDE);

> HTH,

> Tom

> > I have a dialog in a Regular MFC DLL.  No problem access the DLL and all
> > that, but I want to be able to set different characteristics of the
> > dialog.  For instance, in the Resource editor, everything is visible and
> > enabled, but I want to be able to call some setup functions prior to the
> > DoModal call of the dialog object that will disable and/or make the
> > component invisible.  I can't seem to find any methods that do this.
> > For instance, if there is a check button that the application does not
> > want to use and even see for that matter, I want to make it invisible
> > and disable it so that the user has no idea about that component.  If
> > anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.
> > Thanks in advance,
> > rich

Tue, 01 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Making a visible control hidden during execution

Quote:

> Thanks.
> I actually figured that one out and then slapped my head, because it's soo
> easy.  But my other obstacle is that it's easy to use ShowWindow on say a
> CButton because the resource has an object associated with it.  But I would
> also like to hide any Group Boxes, which in this dialog (which I didn't write,
> so that's probably half the problem) does not have a control object associated
> with it.  And it seems as though I don't know where or how to associate an
> object with the group box resource.  For one, there is no CGroupBox, unless
> it's something like a button.

> thanks, rich

> > Rich,

> > Just call ShowWindow(SW_HIDE); to hide the control and ShowWindow(SW_SHOW);
> > to show it again.

> > GetDlgItem(ID_MYCONTROL)->ShowWindow(SW_HIDE);

> > HTH,

> > Tom

> > > I have a dialog in a Regular MFC DLL.  No problem access the DLL and all
> > > that, but I want to be able to set different characteristics of the
> > > dialog.  For instance, in the Resource editor, everything is visible and
> > > enabled, but I want to be able to call some setup functions prior to the
> > > DoModal call of the dialog object that will disable and/or make the
> > > component invisible.  I can't seem to find any methods that do this.
> > > For instance, if there is a check button that the application does not
> > > want to use and even see for that matter, I want to make it invisible
> > > and disable it so that the user has no idea about that component.  If
> > > anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > > rich

A group box normally has an ID = IDC_STATIC (-1),  in the Resource
Editor change this to something like IDC_GROUP, then you can create a
Member Variable with ClassWizard of type Control which you can use to
address the object.

        Rail
--
        Recording Engineer/Software Developer
        Rail Jon Rogut Software

Tue, 01 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Hide DOS window during execution (New User)

2. Dynamic linking during execution

3. Trapping a key combo during execution

4. time during the execution

5. Memory available during execution...

6. exiting program if input during program execution

7. Memory Status during Program Execution

8. VS 6.0 crashes on Win2000 during maco execution

9. URGENT: problems during VC++ 5.0 apps execution on NT 3.51 platform

10. C Code to lock a file during program execution

11. Minimizing and Maxamizing a dialog during execution

12. Graphs during prog. execution