Want demo program to run from CD without install
Author Message
 Want demo program to run from CD without install

I am creating a demo program to show-off my growing C++/MFC skills to
prospective employers.  I want to be able to send it around on a CD,
without clients needing to install it on their computer.  Or, I want
them to be able to download it and run it straight from the download
directory, without need for an install.

What files do I need to include in the zip file, or on the CD, to make
this work?  Do I need to compile the program with MFC in a static
library rather than a shared DLL?  There does not seem to be any topic
on this at all in the Visual C++ 6.0 online documentation.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

P.S.  Actually, I also want to do something similar with a Visual
Basic application.  If anyone knows the corresponding tricks for VB, I
would appreciate that as well.

Steve O.

Thu, 03 Mar 2005 23:07:49 GMT
 Want demo program to run from CD without install
what do you need to install, that there is an install program...what dlls, I
mean.

I guess you would perform the installation (copying the files, making the
registry entries and restarting if necessary) by an exe you created, and
then as a final setp run the demo.

Quote:
> I am creating a demo program to show-off my growing C++/MFC skills to
> prospective employers.  I want to be able to send it around on a CD,
> without clients needing to install it on their computer.  Or, I want
> them to be able to download it and run it straight from the download
> directory, without need for an install.

> What files do I need to include in the zip file, or on the CD, to make
> this work?  Do I need to compile the program with MFC in a static
> library rather than a shared DLL?  There does not seem to be any topic
> on this at all in the Visual C++ 6.0 online documentation.

> Thanks in advance for all replies.

> P.S.  Actually, I also want to do something similar with a Visual
> Basic application.  If anyone knows the corresponding tricks for VB, I
> would appreciate that as well.

> Steve O.

Thu, 03 Mar 2005 23:16:11 GMT
 Want demo program to run from CD without install

Quote:
> I am creating a demo program to show-off my growing C++/MFC skills to
> prospective employers.  I want to be able to send it around on a CD,
> without clients needing to install it on their computer.  Or, I want
> them to be able to download it and run it straight from the download
> directory, without need for an install.

> What files do I need to include in the zip file, or on the CD, to make
> this work?  Do I need to compile the program with MFC in a static
> library rather than a shared DLL?  There does not seem to be any topic
> on this at all in the Visual C++ 6.0 online documentation.

> Thanks in advance for all replies.

> P.S.  Actually, I also want to do something similar with a Visual
> Basic application.  If anyone knows the corresponding tricks for VB, I
> would appreciate that as well.

If you want a single EXE that requires no setup (and also leaves nothing
behind, very important point!) then you will need to static link everything.

I dunno, but I seriously doubt you'll manage that with VB.

If you want to hand out a CD then you can place DLLs on the CD and have your
prosepctive employers run from the CD.

Speaking as an employer; I want to see code, if anything. I don't want to
run something that may be using someone else's whizz-bang library (say GDI+
or drop in funtionality by way of COM components).

Distribute your code, it will speak much higher of you than a demo ever
will. Better yet; Contribute to sites such as codeproject.com and
codeguru.com, you can then send the URLs of your work to prospective
employers - I'd be more impressed with this approach ;-)

--
russ.
http://www.gipsysoft.com/articles/winspector/ - FREE Spy++ replacement.

Fri, 04 Mar 2005 00:35:14 GMT
 Want demo program to run from CD without install

Quote:
> I am creating a demo program to show-off my growing C++/MFC skills to
> prospective employers.

Hi Steve,

My reply is off-topic, but for what it's worth... I wouldn't bother - among
all the people I've interviewed, or whose CVs I've reviewed, I would never
have bothered to look at a CD showcasing their coding/development expertise.
Employers can assume a certain level of technical ability based on your CV,
and if you don't have that level then that will become apparent in the
interview. Personality, aptitude and attitude are so much more important.
But to be honest, the main reason not to bother with a showcase CD is that
it's just too boring (no disrespect to you intended.)

Having said all that, if you just put the MFC DLLs on the CD in the same
directory as your executable then you should be OK. Windows will look for
those DLLs in the system directory, then on the PATH, and finally in the
directory where your executable was started from. I might have that order a
bit mixed up, but the point is that same - if the system doesn't find the
DLLs already installed on the machine, it will find the ones on your CD. Of
course, you should test this out before you send the CD!

Cheers,
Ciaran

Fri, 04 Mar 2005 00:38:42 GMT
 Want demo program to run from CD without install
Russ,

I appreciate the suggestions, and will follow up on them.  However, it
might help to explain my situation:  I've been doing technical writing
for years, and am now trying to get into programming.  I have
classwork (C++, VB, Java, SQL), and I've taught myself the basics of
MFC, but have no professional projects to show.  I figure a demo disk
including both source code and the application will show I have some
skills.  I will also check out codeproject and codeguru, and see where
that leads.

The "app", by the way, is not something I've seen anywhere on the net.
It's a simple program that solves the classic Eight Queens problem,
but I've created a rudimentary but appealing Windows interface.  (It's
adapted from a class project that was strictly DOS/console mode.)
Only problem is that sometimes the recursive routines are crashing,
sometimes not, so I still have to iron that out.  But at least I'll
have something to show for myself.

FYI, I am currently available for technical writing and technical
marketing projects (am very experienced) and/or coding work (entry
level).  Live in suburban Maryland outside DC, will telecommute for
long distance jobs.  My web site with resume is www.writemaster.com.
Thanks again.

Steve O.

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002 00:35:14 +0100, "Russ Freeman"

Quote:

>> I am creating a demo program to show-off my growing C++/MFC skills to
>> prospective employers.  I want to be able to send it around on a CD,
>> without clients needing to install it on their computer.  Or, I want
>> them to be able to download it and run it straight from the download
>> directory, without need for an install.

>> What files do I need to include in the zip file, or on the CD, to make
>> this work?  Do I need to compile the program with MFC in a static
>> library rather than a shared DLL?  There does not seem to be any topic
>> on this at all in the Visual C++ 6.0 online documentation.

>> Thanks in advance for all replies.

>> P.S.  Actually, I also want to do something similar with a Visual
>> Basic application.  If anyone knows the corresponding tricks for VB, I
>> would appreciate that as well.

>If you want a single EXE that requires no setup (and also leaves nothing
>behind, very important point!) then you will need to static link everything.

>I dunno, but I seriously doubt you'll manage that with VB.

>If you want to hand out a CD then you can place DLLs on the CD and have your
>prosepctive employers run from the CD.

>Speaking as an employer; I want to see code, if anything. I don't want to
>run something that may be using someone else's whizz-bang library (say GDI+
>or drop in funtionality by way of COM components).

>Distribute your code, it will speak much higher of you than a demo ever
>will. Better yet; Contribute to sites such as codeproject.com and
>codeguru.com, you can then send the URLs of your work to prospective
>employers - I'd be more impressed with this approach ;-)

>--
>russ.
>http://www.gipsysoft.com/articles/winspector/ - FREE Spy++ replacement.
>http://www.gipsysoft.com/qhtm/ - FREE HTML display in a small and light DLL
>http://www.gipsysoft.com/ZoomPlus/ - Programmers Zoom Utility on Steroids

Fri, 04 Mar 2005 02:20:51 GMT
 Want demo program to run from CD without install

> >But to be honest, the main reason not to bother with a showcase CD is
that
> >it's just too boring (no disrespect to you intended.)

> Having been a hiring manager of software engineers, I can only agree
> with Ciaran's comments.  Instead of sending your demo around unasked,
> mention it in your vita as you would your writing samples  ('A sample
> of my programming skill, with source, is available at request.

I'm not a manager, but I'm puzzled by your relaxed attitude to this. Someone
you don't know sends you a program that you don't get source code for?
Granted, it comes through the post rather than an email, but still - why
would you even consider exposing your computer to an unsolicited .exe?

FP

Sat, 05 Mar 2005 10:00:33 GMT
 Want demo program to run from CD without install
I am kind of puzzled by some of the replies to this original post of
mine.  As an experienced writing trying to transition into
programming, I would think you would all be interested in *both* my
personality and my programming skills.  It's nice to know I'm a nice,
responsible guy (I am), but don't you want to see sample code, and see
it running, too?  As for the fears about running code from a stranger,
hasn't anyone heard of Norton Antivirus?

Steve Oppenheimer

www.writemaster.com

Quote:
>I am creating a demo program to show-off my growing C++/MFC skills to
>prospective employers.  I want to be able to send it around on a CD,
>without clients needing to install it on their computer.  Or, I want
>them to be able to download it and run it straight from the download
>directory, without need for an install.

>What files do I need to include in the zip file, or on the CD, to make
>this work?  Do I need to compile the program with MFC in a static
>library rather than a shared DLL?  There does not seem to be any topic
>on this at all in the Visual C++ 6.0 online documentation.

>Thanks in advance for all replies.

>P.S.  Actually, I also want to do something similar with a Visual
>Basic application.  If anyone knows the corresponding tricks for VB, I
>would appreciate that as well.

>Steve O.

Sat, 05 Mar 2005 15:29:02 GMT
 Want demo program to run from CD without install
Most of the time, you'll be dealing with HR and not the technical people.
HR people wouldn't know what they were looking at, and know it.

Sample programs backed up by source code are useful for some types of
contract work - not for regular employment.

Free software  - Baxter Codeworks  www.baxcode.com

> I am kind of puzzled by some of the replies to this original post of
> mine.  As an experienced writing trying to transition into
> programming, I would think you would all be interested in *both* my
> personality and my programming skills.  It's nice to know I'm a nice,
> responsible guy (I am), but don't you want to see sample code, and see
> it running, too?  As for the fears about running code from a stranger,
> hasn't anyone heard of Norton Antivirus?

> Steve Oppenheimer

> www.writemaster.com

> >I am creating a demo program to show-off my growing C++/MFC skills to
> >prospective employers.  I want to be able to send it around on a CD,
> >without clients needing to install it on their computer.  Or, I want
> >them to be able to download it and run it straight from the download
> >directory, without need for an install.

> >What files do I need to include in the zip file, or on the CD, to make
> >this work?  Do I need to compile the program with MFC in a static
> >library rather than a shared DLL?  There does not seem to be any topic
> >on this at all in the Visual C++ 6.0 online documentation.

> >Thanks in advance for all replies.

> >P.S.  Actually, I also want to do something similar with a Visual
> >Basic application.  If anyone knows the corresponding tricks for VB, I
> >would appreciate that as well.

> >Steve O.

Sat, 05 Mar 2005 15:42:37 GMT
 Want demo program to run from CD without install
Norton Antivirus would not stop any Win32 program from
executing a destructive piece code (such as DeleteFile
calls).

Y. Kovarskiy

Quote:

Sat, 05 Mar 2005 16:17:10 GMT
 Want demo program to run from CD without install

Quote:
> I am kind of puzzled by some of the replies to this original post of
> mine.  As an experienced writing trying to transition into
> programming, I would think you would all be interested in *both* my
> personality and my programming skills.  It's nice to know I'm a nice,
> responsible guy (I am), but don't you want to see sample code, and see
> it running, too?  As for the fears about running code from a stranger,
> hasn't anyone heard of Norton Antivirus?

And other antiviruses as well, and they get updated regularly because people
keep writing new things that werent caught by the previous version. I run a
virus checker - but I still don't run unsolicited email attachments.

Ciarn already said sample code would be good. As for seeing the program
running, how about bringing a laptop to the interview, with your program on
it? That would get around the installation problem as well, no?

FP

Sat, 05 Mar 2005 16:16:11 GMT

1. MS Windows CAI program demo source wanted!

2. Wanted: DX6SDK without the CD

3. INSTALLING: running DAO without VC++ ??

4. All my C# Programs dont run (with .NET installed)

5. How to make programs that run without OS?

6. Running a program without it being displayed in the Task List

7. program can run without installation

8. Run MFC VC++ ODBC program on machine without studio

9. Want to run another program upon exit without exec or spawn

10. running programs on Pocket PC 2002 emulator without evt

11. Run c# program without redistributable

12. Can a program developed by VC++.NET run in a system without installing .Net Framework?