Easy Ping implemenation
Author Message
 Easy Ping implemenation

Hello,

what is the easiest way to determine if a computer with a given IP
address is available ?

Thanks

Patrick

Thu, 11 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Easy Ping implemenation
Patrick,

Quote:
> what is the easiest way to determine if a computer with a given IP
> address is available ?

Probably simply trying to connect to it on the protocol/port you are
interested in. Ping might be useful, but some routers do block icmp trafic,
which leaves you out in the cold.

--
Tomas Restrepo

http://members.xoom.com/trestrep/

Thu, 11 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Easy Ping implemenation

Quote:
>Patrick,
>> what is the easiest way to determine if a computer with a given IP
>> address is available ?

>Probably simply trying to connect to it on the protocol/port you are
>interested in. Ping might be useful, but some routers do block icmp trafic,
>which leaves you out in the cold.

My App is only for the network neighborhood, so I don't have to care
about router support.

I never did network programming before, so does anybody have a tip,
which function to use to connect to another host:port. ?

Thanks

Patrick

Thu, 11 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Easy Ping implemenation
CSocket or CAsyncSocket would be good classes to look at.

Create(...) and Connect(...) are methods to focus on.
TFM3

Note: spam-resistant e-mail address

Quote:

>My App is only for the network neighborhood, so I don't have to care
>about router support.

>I never did network programming before, so does anybody have a tip,
>which function to use to connect to another host:port. ?

>Thanks

>Patrick

Thu, 11 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Easy Ping implemenation
Patrick,

Quote:
> >Probably simply trying to connect to it on the protocol/port you are
> >interested in. Ping might be useful, but some routers do block icmp
trafic,
> >which leaves you out in the cold.

> My App is only for the network neighborhood, so I don't have to care
> about router support.

I see. If you are still interested in the ping thing, look up IcmpSendEcho()
in the IcmpApi.h file in the Platform SDK (it's in the misc directory).

--
Tomas Restrepo

http://members.xoom.com/trestrep/

Fri, 12 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. VS.NET Connnection Point Implemenation

2. Anyone have a None MFC Based IDispatchEx Implemenation?

3. Implemenation of COM component in Windows CE

4. EASY EASY BEGINNER ??

5. @> two easy easy questions

6. Is the ping sample same as the ping utility?

7. Network Connection, Logged on To Net Pinging

8. Is computer up and running...ping

9. Can a ping be detected?

10. CreateProcess to call cmd file and ping fails?

11. Implementing a PING