Detect if an application is hung.
Author Message
 Detect if an application is hung.

Hi,

Im developing an application that must be aware of the behaviour of other
two; if they are down this application should put them back to work.  How
can I do this? Is there anyway of knowing if an application is running or
not?

regards,

Juan

Sat, 05 Jun 2004 22:02:24 GMT
 Detect if an application is hung.

Quote:
> Hi,

> Im developing an application that must be aware of the behaviour of other
> two; if they are down this application should put them back to work.  How
> can I do this? Is there anyway of knowing if an application is running or
> not?

> regards,

> Juan

The simple classic method is to create a "watchdog" timer. If the other
applications are your own (you have source) code a routine in each to
periodically write to a file. Your watchdog applications can then merely
FindChangeNotification() - if it hasn't heard from one of the applications
for awhile it goes into its shutdown/launch routine.

Sat, 05 Jun 2004 22:31:24 GMT
 Detect if an application is hung.
See KB article,

            Q231844 - HOWTO: Detect If an Application Has Stopped Responding

Cheers
Check Abdoul
------------------

Quote:
> Hi,

> Im developing an application that must be aware of the behaviour of other
> two; if they are down this application should put them back to work.  How
> can I do this? Is there anyway of knowing if an application is running or
> not?

> regards,

> Juan

Sat, 05 Jun 2004 23:00:10 GMT
 Detect if an application is hung.
Take a look at SendMessageTimeout.

--
Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++]

Note: Please post all replies to newsgroup only.

Quote:
> Hi,

> Im developing an application that must be aware of the behaviour of other
> two; if they are down this application should put them back to work.  How
> can I do this? Is there anyway of knowing if an application is running or
> not?

> regards,

> Juan

Sun, 06 Jun 2004 03:43:58 GMT

1. Detect if an application is hung.

2. Application hangs while debugging (using db.OpenEx)

3. Application hangs windows NT User interface.

4. Application hangs on startup with error 0xc0000142 on NTDLL.DLL

5. IDE hangs after swithing to another application ( MSDN library )

6. Application Hangs!!

7. Application hangs windows NT User interface

8. Application hangs on exit under Win2K

9. IWebBrowser object in my MFC app seems to hang Outlook and IE and other DDE applications

10. Control Panel/Regional Settings hangs from my application

11. OLEChannelWnd problem with application hanging on shutdown

12. CFileDialog causes application in Windows 95 to hang