Windows 98 and 2000 with Visual C++
Author Message
 Windows 98 and 2000 with Visual C++

hi all ,
does anyone know the differences between Windows 98 and Windows 2000
when programming in Visual C++ 6.0 ( with visual studio )  ? I mean if I
developped my program on 98 , I think I only have to install my Visual
studio (will the same work or does a special 2000 version of visual
exist ? ) on 2000 and compile my program ( and eventually make some
corrections ... )
What do you think about that ?
thanks
xavier

Sat, 13 Dec 2003 17:31:29 GMT
 Windows 98 and 2000 with Visual C++

Quote:
> does anyone know the differences between Windows 98 and Windows 2000
> when programming in Visual C++ 6.0 ( with visual studio )  ?

That depends on if your program should exist in different versions for 98
and 2000 (e.g. if you want to use some of the extra functionality of 2000)
or if you want both in one version by only using 98 conform code (will work
on 2000, too) or if you want one version that uses 2000 functionality if it
finds a 2000 system.

Quote:
> I mean if I
> developped my program on 98 , I think I only have to install my Visual
> studio (will the same work or does a special 2000 version of visual
> exist ? ) on 2000 and compile my program ( and eventually make some
> corrections ... )

You won't need to do that anyway... once compiled your program will run, no
matter where you compile it...it only depends on the functions and .dll's
you use.

BTW: this is well documented in the MSDN and in the handbooks (or any
additional book for vc++).

regards,

sascha

Sat, 13 Dec 2003 20:36:23 GMT
 Windows 98 and 2000 with Visual C++
thanks a lot Sascha !
xavier

"Sascha Gnther" a crit :

Quote:
> > does anyone know the differences between Windows 98 and Windows 2000
> > when programming in Visual C++ 6.0 ( with visual studio )  ?

> That depends on if your program should exist in different versions for 98
> and 2000 (e.g. if you want to use some of the extra functionality of 2000)
> or if you want both in one version by only using 98 conform code (will work
> on 2000, too) or if you want one version that uses 2000 functionality if it
> finds a 2000 system.

> > I mean if I
> > developped my program on 98 , I think I only have to install my Visual
> > studio (will the same work or does a special 2000 version of visual
> > exist ? ) on 2000 and compile my program ( and eventually make some
> > corrections ... )

> You won't need to do that anyway... once compiled your program will run, no
> matter where you compile it...it only depends on the functions and .dll's
> you use.

> BTW: this is well documented in the MSDN and in the handbooks (or any
> additional book for vc++).

> regards,

> sascha

Sat, 13 Dec 2003 23:27:38 GMT
 Windows 98 and 2000 with Visual C++
It's better to develop first on 2000 and then check it out on 98. Many
system calls etc have notations on parameters like "ignored in Windows
95/98" so you can put anything there, but in NT/2000 a valid value must be
supplied.

Quote:
> hi all ,
> does anyone know the differences between Windows 98 and Windows 2000
> when programming in Visual C++ 6.0 ( with visual studio )  ? I mean if I
> developped my program on 98 , I think I only have to install my Visual
> studio (will the same work or does a special 2000 version of visual
> exist ? ) on 2000 and compile my program ( and eventually make some
> corrections ... )
> What do you think about that ?
> thanks
> xavier

Sun, 14 Dec 2003 03:52:59 GMT
 Windows 98 and 2000 with Visual C++
VC++ is identical on Win98 and Win2K, in fact, I have installed the
same CD on both (I have a 10-node license). However, if a program uses
Win2K features it may not execute on Win9x (it will most likely fail,
but if you are careful you will test for this and respond
appropriately). If, as someone else pointed out, you use a parameter
on Win9x that is ignored, it may matter on Win2K. So you need to check
out your resulting code on both platforms (I even keep a legacy Win95
platform around for testing, although my most recent client said to me
"upgrade this product. Add the following features. Ignore any attempt
at Win9x/Me compatibility, we will not support those platforms any
longer"). Crippling it for Win9x was a serious issue.
                        joe

Quote:

>hi all ,
>does anyone know the differences between Windows 98 and Windows 2000
>when programming in Visual C++ 6.0 ( with visual studio )  ? I mean if I
>developped my program on 98 , I think I only have to install my Visual
>studio (will the same work or does a special 2000 version of visual
>exist ? ) on 2000 and compile my program ( and eventually make some
>corrections ... )
>What do you think about that ?
>thanks
>xavier

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]

Web: http://www3.pgh.net/~newcomer

Tue, 16 Dec 2003 12:35:50 GMT

1. Is programming windows 98 the same as programming windows 2000

2. Porting Windows 2000 program to windows 98

3. VC++, windows 2000 and windows 98

4. Dialog Resource Color Changed from Windows 98 to Windows 2000

5. Bitmap Color Change when I changed from Windows 98 to Windows 2000

6. Bitmap Resource Background changes color from Windows 98 to Windows 2000

7. Bitmap Background Colors from Windows 98 to Windows 2000

8. Porting Windows 98 apllication to Windows 2000 problem.

9. Windows 98 Windows NT Visual C++ V1.52 and low level graphics

10. Visual C++ Runtime error in Windows XP, but not in Windows 2000

11. Getting MAC Address in WIndows 98 and NT/2000/NT

12. IPC windows 95/98/NT/2000