cannot open file "nafxcwd.lib"
Author Message
 cannot open file "nafxcwd.lib"

Hi everyone!
I am trying to learn the Scribble tutorial that came with VC++ and I am
having a few problems. First of all I wanted to access the samples to
compare what I was doing following the suggestions in the tutorial with
what should be the expected results but could not find them so I
downloaded them. Now when I open one of the 7 steps and click on
 stdafx.cpp ( as an example. It is the same for all the others ) I can
compile it but when I try to built it I get this message:
 LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file "nafxcwd.lib"
Error executing link.exe.

stdafx.exe - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

Where could I find the file and what should I do to make it accessible
to VC++.
Also ( if I may ) when I try to add or create a new class, when I am in
the New Class Dialog Box, the only option in the Class Type is Generic
Class. I cannot change it to another one ( MFC for example ). Why? What
should I do to correct the situation?
Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
Rjean Chamberland.

Sun, 24 Apr 2005 23:19:47 GMT
 cannot open file "nafxcwd.lib"
Hi,

When you installed your VC++ did you include the static libraries for MFC.
If not redo the install adding the MFC static libraries in the install
options. Or
you could change your project to link dynamically with MFC.

Hope this helps

Chris

Quote:
> Hi everyone!
> I am trying to learn the Scribble tutorial that came with VC++ and I am
> having a few problems. First of all I wanted to access the samples to
> compare what I was doing following the suggestions in the tutorial with
> what should be the expected results but could not find them so I
> downloaded them. Now when I open one of the 7 steps and click on
>  stdafx.cpp ( as an example. It is the same for all the others ) I can
> compile it but when I try to built it I get this message:
>  LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file "nafxcwd.lib"
> Error executing link.exe.

> stdafx.exe - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

> Where could I find the file and what should I do to make it accessible
> to VC++.
> Also ( if I may ) when I try to add or create a new class, when I am in
> the New Class Dialog Box, the only option in the Class Type is Generic
> Class. I cannot change it to another one ( MFC for example ). Why? What
> should I do to correct the situation?
> Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
> Rjean Chamberland.

Sun, 24 Apr 2005 23:27:19 GMT
 cannot open file "nafxcwd.lib"

Quote:

>Hi,

>When you installed your VC++ did you include the static libraries for MFC.
>If not redo the install adding the MFC static libraries in the install
>options. Or
>you could change your project to link dynamically with MFC.

>Hope this helps

>Chris

>>Hi everyone!
>>I am trying to learn the Scribble tutorial that came with VC++ and I am
>>having a few problems. First of all I wanted to access the samples to
>>compare what I was doing following the suggestions in the tutorial with
>>what should be the expected results but could not find them so I
>>downloaded them. Now when I open one of the 7 steps and click on
>> stdafx.cpp ( as an example. It is the same for all the others ) I can
>>compile it but when I try to built it I get this message:
>> LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file "nafxcwd.lib"
>>Error executing link.exe.

>>stdafx.exe - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

>>Where could I find the file and what should I do to make it accessible
>>to VC++.
>>Also ( if I may ) when I try to add or create a new class, when I am in
>>the New Class Dialog Box, the only option in the Class Type is Generic
>>Class. I cannot change it to another one ( MFC for example ). Why? What
>>should I do to correct the situation?
>>Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
>>Rjean Chamberland.

Hi Chris! You were right. When I tried to reinstall I noticed that a few
 box cases were checked but grayed so I chose a Select All and
reinstalled. Unfortunately it did not solved the problem. Would you mind
explaining what you mean by changing my project to link dynamically with
MFC? Or is there a place where I can find the MFC static libraries and a
suggestion as to how to install them? I have more than a year
subscription to the MSDN subscriptions libraries sitting on the shelves.
Thanks in advance for any suggestion.
Rjean Chamberland

Mon, 25 Apr 2005 02:26:32 GMT
 cannot open file "nafxcwd.lib"

Quote:
>Hi Chris! You were right. When I tried to reinstall I noticed that a few

box cases were >checked but grayed so I chose a Select All and reinstalled.
Unfortunately it did not solved the >problem. Would you mind explaining what
you mean by changing my project to link >dynamically with MFC? Or is there a
place where I can find the MFC static libraries and a >suggestion as to how
to install them? I have more than a year subscription to the MSDN

Quote:
>subscriptions libraries sitting on the shelves. Thanks in advance for any
suggestion.
>Rjean Chamberland

From the menu, Project->Settings..., the General Tab, the top combo box is
where you set how mfc is used (shared or static).

Your problem is happening because it isn't finding the nafxcwd.lib to link
to.  First find the directory that this file is in.  If you don't find it on
your computer you will have to reinstall like Chris said.  Then in your
project settings dialog : Link Tab: In the Additional library path add the
directory where the file is found.

dave h

Mon, 25 Apr 2005 14:45:28 GMT

1. cannot open file "nafxcwd.lib"

2. cannot open file "nafxcwd.lib"

3. Why "cannot open file nafxcwd.lib"?

4. LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file "nafxcwd.lib"

5. cannot open file "mfc42ud.lib"??

6. LNK1104: cannot open file "mfc42u.lib"

7. cannot open file "nafxcw.lib"

8. Cannot open file "nafxcw.lib"

9. Why cannot open file "MFCCE1d.lib"

10. "nafxcwd.lib" file

11. newbie question - "Cannot open include file"

12. "Cannot open include file"