Why do I get the error 234 when calling RegQueryValueEx or CRegKey::QueryValue?
Author Message
 Why do I get the error 234 when calling RegQueryValueEx or CRegKey::QueryValue?

In my code, I use CRegKey::Create, SetValue, and QueryValue to set/get the
registry info. The setting part wasOK. However, when retrieving the
different fields of the same key, I got error 234, saying "More data is
available." So I tried RegCreateKey, RegSetValueEx, and RegQueryValueEx.
Registry value were set correctly, but RegQueryValueEx gave me the same
error message 234. What should I do?

Thanks in advance!
Cindy

Tue, 04 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Why do I get the error 234 when calling RegQueryValueEx or CRegKey::QueryValue?
I think this means your buffer was too small, so you only got some of
the data. Just a guess.
                                joe

Quote:
>In my code, I use CRegKey::Create, SetValue, and QueryValue to set/get the
>registry info. The setting part wasOK. However, when retrieving the
>different fields of the same key, I got error 234, saying "More data is
>available." So I tried RegCreateKey, RegSetValueEx, and RegQueryValueEx.
>Registry value were set correctly, but RegQueryValueEx gave me the same
>error message 234. What should I do?

>Thanks in advance!
>Cindy

Joseph M. Newcomer

http://www3.pgh.net/~newcomer

Sat, 08 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Why do I get the error 234 when calling RegQueryValueEx or CRegKey::QueryValue?
Hi Cindy,

You should call RegQueryValueEx() with a NULL in the 5th parameter,
and it will tell you the datatype and size of the value which would be
returned.  Next you call it again with a buffer pointer in parameter 5
which has been allocated by you to be the perfect size and type.

Error 234 simply means that the call could have given you more
information if you had given it a longer buffer to copy data into.

Regards,
Kurt

Quote:
>In my code, I use CRegKey::Create, SetValue, and QueryValue to set/get the
>registry info. The setting part wasOK. However, when retrieving the
>different fields of the same key, I got error 234, saying "More data is
>available." So I tried RegCreateKey, RegSetValueEx, and RegQueryValueEx.
>Registry value were set correctly, but RegQueryValueEx gave me the same
>error message 234. What should I do?

>Thanks in advance!
>Cindy

Sat, 08 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Error with Registry, CRegKey::QueryValue

2. CRegKey::QueryValue not working

3. How to use CRegKey::QueryValue

4. 234/B-tree Delete function

5. Problems doing realloc, getting heap runtime error?

6. DAO3.60 - getting error 3260 when doing CDaoRecordset::Update

7. CAsyncSocket::OnAccept gets called twice, Why???

8. Why Isnt CSocket::OnClose Getting Called

9. Why CompareItem of CListBox is not getting called

10. Why EN_CHANGE gets called before OnInitDialog()?

11. Why I am getting Error C2091: function returns function

12. Newbie:- Why am i getting a linking error