network programming:COM,Socket,TCPIP?
Author Message
 network programming:COM,Socket,TCPIP?

Hi,

This is a question from a newbie to network programming.

I have read serval bookd about network programming and now I am getting
confused:

1.COM/DCOM seems to be very popular nowdays.Does that mean Sockets and TCPIP
programming is not important now?

2.For programmers,is it neccessay to learn about the details of TCPIP
packets?It seems that Socket is enough for send information between two
computers?

Can anybody help me with the relationship of COM,Sockets,TCPIP in the view
of a programmer?

Thanks in advance.

Zeric

Fri, 13 Jun 2003 11:04:54 GMT
 network programming:COM,Socket,TCPIP?

Quote:

> Hi,

> This is a question from a newbie to network programming.

> I have read serval bookd about network programming and now I am getting
> confused:

> 1.COM/DCOM seems to be very popular nowdays.Does that mean Sockets and TCPIP
> programming is not important now?

> 2.For programmers,is it neccessay to learn about the details of TCPIP
> packets?It seems that Socket is enough for send information between two
> computers?

> Can anybody help me with the relationship of COM,Sockets,TCPIP in the view
> of a programmer?

> Thanks in advance.

> Zeric

TCP/IP is a standardized low-level protocol that uses checks and retrys as
necessary to get the message through reliably.  The internet uses it and most
LANs use it.  It is built in to the operating system on most computers nowadays
and programmer's don't usuallly have to know the details.

Sockets (and the Windows version: winsock) are programming interfaces to TCP/IP,
and occasionally to other protocols.  It is vitally important for most network
programmers to understand it.

COM, DCOM, pipes, RPC, mailslots, FTP, and many more are higher level
communication channels for limited purposes.  They all use sockets to
communicate via TCP/IP.  You can use such a protocol where appropriate or you
can make your own protocol and implement it using sockets.

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

Fri, 13 Jun 2003 11:37:14 GMT
 network programming:COM,Socket,TCPIP?
On Sun, 24 Dec 2000 22:37:14 -0500, Scott McPhillips

>> Can anybody help me with the relationship of COM,Sockets,TCPIP in the view
>> of a programmer?
>TCP/IP is a standardized low-level protocol that uses checks and retrys as
>necessary to get the message through reliably.  The internet uses it and most
>LANs use it.  It is built in to the operating system on most computers nowadays
>and programmer's don't usuallly have to know the details.

>Sockets (and the Windows version: winsock) are programming interfaces to TCP/IP,
>and occasionally to other protocols.  It is vitally important for most network
>programmers to understand it.

>COM, DCOM, pipes, RPC, mailslots, FTP, and many more are higher level
>communication channels for limited purposes.  They all use sockets to
>communicate via TCP/IP.  You can use such a protocol where appropriate or you
>can make your own protocol and implement it using sockets.

And note that COM/DCOM is Windows-only, still. With sockets you have
more control when things get more detailed (it's good to know about
them anyway so you can more easily see pitfalls, solutions and
designs).
If you plan on going multiplatform with your source/program, the
Windows sockets library is very similar to generic Unix network
programming.

Ruud van Gaal, GPL Rank +53.25
MarketGraph   : http://www.marketgraph.nl
Pencil art    : http://www.marketgraph.nl/gallery/
Car simulation: http://www.marketgraph.nl/gallery/racer/

Sun, 15 Jun 2003 22:12:03 GMT

1. Encapsulated TCPIP Sockets?

2. Encapsulated TCPIP Sockets?

3. Windows Sockets Network Programming

4. socket programming problem (network not reachable)

5. socket programming problem (network not reachable)

6. sample code for simple network socket programming

7. Socket Program(Host Order/Network Order)

8. strange tcpip programming problem

9. Program from "Unix Network Programming"

10. network sockets /linux

11. Using fgets on a network socket

12. Windows Sockets and PC's with 2 network cards