Release vs. Debug
Author Message
 Release vs. Debug

I think it is a relatively common problem.  Most likely a memory overwrite.
The extra 'debug' code is absorbing the overwrite... Check type casting and
array sizes. Easy to find with tools like Purify.

Quote:
> We are having a problem with a bug that only shows up when we compile
> a release version of our MFC Win32 application.  With a debug build we
> don't see it.  I know the memory image is different with debug so that
> a memory corruption problem could behave differently between the
> builds.  Anyone have any other ideas?  Have you seen these kind of
> problems?

Mon, 31 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Release vs. Debug

If it isn't a memory overwrite it could be a side-effect in an
ASSERT macro that is doing some necessary work.
Change any ASSERTs to VERIFY. VERIFY does the
same thing as ASSERT, but continues to evaluate the
expression in release builds.

--
Ron Ruble
Raffles Software Development, Inc.

Quote:

>I think it is a relatively common problem.  Most likely a memory overwrite.
>The extra 'debug' code is absorbing the overwrite... Check type casting and
>array sizes. Easy to find with tools like Purify.

>> We are having a problem with a bug that only shows up when we compile
>> a release version of our MFC Win32 application.  With a debug build we
>> don't see it.  I know the memory image is different with debug so that
>> a memory corruption problem could behave differently between the
>> builds.  Anyone have any other ideas?  Have you seen these kind of
>> problems?

Tue, 01 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. release vs. debug symbols

2. Release vs. Debug - Problem

3. Different behaviour in release vs. debug

4. release vs. debug build

5. Release vs. Debug

6. Release vs. Debug

7. Release vs. Debug

8. Difference Between Go and Execute Program (release vs. debug?)

9. Release vs. Debug mode?? Help!

10. Helps need on adding debug info to release mode so to debug release code

11. Debug vs. Release configuration

12. Debug vs. Release