CCriticalSection and CSingleLock problem on dual-processor machine?
Author Message
 CCriticalSection and CSingleLock problem on dual-processor machine?

Our multithreaded app is using few local CSingleLock objects, which use
global CCriticalSection objects. After running for several (everything
between 3 and 30+) hours and millions of successful Lock() and Unlock()
calls, next Lock() on one of three critical sections (every time different
one) does not get it, even though no thread owns it at this time - creating
deadlock-like situation. We could not recreate that running on single
processor box for 100+ hours. Are we just lucky or there is a known problem
with CCritalSection/CSingleLock on dual-processor machines?

We use Dev Studio 6.0 with SP5, Win 2000 SP3.

TIA, Ryszard.

Mon, 04 Apr 2005 14:59:25 GMT
 CCriticalSection and CSingleLock problem on dual-processor machine?

Quote:

>Our multithreaded app is using few local CSingleLock objects, which use
>global CCriticalSection objects. After running for several (everything
>between 3 and 30+) hours and millions of successful Lock() and Unlock()
>calls, next Lock() on one of three critical sections (every time different
>one) does not get it, even though no thread owns it at this time - creating
>deadlock-like situation. We could not recreate that running on single
>processor box for 100+ hours. Are we just lucky or there is a known problem
>with CCritalSection/CSingleLock on dual-processor machines?

>We use Dev Studio 6.0 with SP5, Win 2000 SP3.

Sorry, I'm not aware of any such problem with these classes.

--
Doug Harrison
Microsoft MVP - Visual C++

Mon, 04 Apr 2005 22:09:19 GMT
 CCriticalSection and CSingleLock problem on dual-processor machine?
I am also not aware of any issues with these classes.
Most likely you have a subtle synchronization problem in your code which is
showing up in the dual-proc machine.

Hope this helps.

Thank you,
Bobby Mattappally
Microsoft VC++/C# Team

--------------------

Quote:

>Subject: Re: CCriticalSection and CSingleLock problem on dual-processor
machine?
>Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 16:09:19 -0500

>>Our multithreaded app is using few local CSingleLock objects, which use
>>global CCriticalSection objects. After running for several (everything
>>between 3 and 30+) hours and millions of successful Lock() and Unlock()
>>calls, next Lock() on one of three critical sections (every time different
>>one) does not get it, even though no thread owns it at this time -
creating
>>deadlock-like situation. We could not recreate that running on single
>>processor box for 100+ hours. Are we just lucky or there is a known
problem
>>with CCritalSection/CSingleLock on dual-processor machines?

>>We use Dev Studio 6.0 with SP5, Win 2000 SP3.

>Sorry, I'm not aware of any such problem with these classes.

>--
>Doug Harrison
>Microsoft MVP - Visual C++

Tue, 05 Apr 2005 00:02:23 GMT

1. CCriticalSection/CSingleLock problem on dual-processt machine? - repost

2. CCriticalSection and CSingleLock problem.

3. thread creation on dual processor machine

4. question on Using CCriticalSection Class and CSingleLock

5. Debug Assertion Failed with CsingleLock/CCriticalSection in VC7

6. Threads with MFC: CSingleLock and CCriticalSection

7. Dual Processor Code problem

8. problems with multi-processors machine

9. 2 threads using 50% of dual processor system

10. Multi-Threading in Dual Processor System

11. Thread on Dual Processor

12. Thread on Dual Processor