Compile an old VC5.0 Dll Project under VC6.0 causes error
Author Message
 Compile an old VC5.0 Dll Project under VC6.0 causes error

I had this problem - the biggest problem is the error message itself - it's
sooooo helpful !!  My problem was due to running an incorrect version of
midl.exe. This might be your problem.

First do a Find files / midl.exe and record where each one is.

Then in MSVC++ IDE do Tools / Options / Directories and change the combobox
to be executable files. The resulting directories are displayed in the list
box. The listbox is like a PATH statement - if midl.exe is found in the
directory at the top of the listbox then this would be run in preference to
an midl.exe found in the second directory within the listbox. You can move
one directory above  another within the listbox. Hopefully if you manage to
shift the directory containing the correct midl.exe above the other one your
compilation of interface definition language files (.IDL) files will
succeed.

Quote:
> Hey folks,

> Recently I got the new VC6.0. For a new project I'm currently working I
want
> to use an old DLL compiled with VC5.0. Now, my program throwes an
exception
> when the DLL is loaded.

> So, I tried to convert my old DLL project and to build a new DLL (VC6.0
does
> this automatically when opening an older project).

> When building the DLL I got this mystic error:

> some other IDLs...
> Shelley.idl
> Error processing midl.exe. (translated from German version)

> Having a look at the properties of Shelley.idl I see a new tab in VC6.0
> named MIDL. Unfortunately I have no idea what the proper settings are.

> Does anyone of you have an idea what I'm doing wrong here?

> Henryk

Fri, 21 Feb 2003 03:08:08 GMT

1. Compile an old VC5.0 Dll Project under VC6.0 causes error

2. VC6 cannot compile AX server project created with VC5

3. Compile error while moving from VC5 to VC6

4. Compile Errors in VC7.1 with VC6 project

5. Calling ::BuildCommDCB with VC6 causes Access Violation (worked w/VC5)

6. VC6sp1: Converting old projects causes crash everytime.

7. VC5 vs. VC6 compile executable size

8. vc6 problems with vc5 projects ...

9. Problem moving project from VC5 to VC6

10. Problem converting WCE project from VC5 to VC6

11. VC5 projects using VC6 libs

12. Problem while converting VC5.0 project to VC6.0