Debugging DLL called by a DLL
Author Message
 Debugging DLL called by a DLL

Hi

VC++ 4.2
os : Windows 95

I have an executable - a.exe. a.exe calls a method of b.dll which calls
a method of c.dll.
I want to debug this method of c.dll.
How can I do it?
I implemented whatever the VC help gave me, but it was of no use. The
execution would not stop at the breakpoint I set in the method.
Please help.

Rahul Gopal

Wed, 22 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Debugging DLL called by a DLL

Quote:

> > Hi

> > VC++ 4.2
> > os : Windows 95

> > I have an executable - a.exe. a.exe calls a method of b.dll which calls
> > a method of c.dll.
> > I want to debug this method of c.dll.
> > How can I do it?
> > I implemented whatever the VC help gave me, but it was of no use. The
> > execution would not stop at the breakpoint I set in the method.
> > Please help.

> > Rahul Gopal

> Once the Dll is loaded the break point will take.  Their is also an option
> in in project settings to load dlls at start time by name.

> Have Fun!

Hi Gary
        Thanks for your response. But I have already done whatever you have
said to no avail.
        All 3 projects ( a.exe, b.dll and c.dll ) are in separate directories,
but their output goes in one directory. I have also specified the name
of the dll in the project settings "Additional DLLs" section of the
"Debug" tab. But even then I am not able to debug c.dll. ( To refresh
your memory, a.exe calls a method b.dll which in turn calls a method of
c.dll. I want to debug c.dll ).
What is it that I am missing? I have been at this problem for 2 days
now.
Awating your reply,
Rahul

Rahul Gopal
Total Technology Solutions Ltd.
Barbados ( W.I )
Tel : (246) 4180314 ( R )
      (246) 4306082 ( O )

Thu, 23 Sep 1999 04:00:00 GMT
 Debugging DLL called by a DLL

Rahul,

_asm int 3;

will put a hard-coded breakpoint in your dll.

Norman Lee

Quote:

>> > VC++ 4.2
>> > os : Windows 95

>> > I have an executable - a.exe. a.exe calls a method of b.dll which calls
>> > a method of c.dll.
>> > I want to debug this method of c.dll.
>> > How can I do it?
>> > I implemented whatever the VC help gave me, but it was of no use. The
>> > execution would not stop at the breakpoint I set in the method.
>> > Please help.

>> > Rahul Gopal

Fri, 24 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Debugging DLL called by a DLL

Quote:

> _asm int 3;

> will put a hard-coded breakpoint in your dll.

Use DebugBreak() instead.  It's much clearer.  Even better, try using a
macro like

#ifdef _DEBUG
#define DEBUG_BREAK DebugBreak ()
#else
#define DEBUG_BREAK DEBUG_BREAK_left_in_release_code
#endif

        - Barry

3DV Technology, Inc              Phone: (603) 595-2200 X228
410 Amherst St., Suite 150       Fax:   (603) 595-2228

Fri, 24 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Debug DLL called by DLL

2. Debug a DLL called by a DLL

3. Problem calling into managed DLL that calls unmanaged DLL

4. VC6 DLL calls VB6 DLL calls back to VC6 DLL: Occasional GPF or ‘Bad DLL calling convention'

5. Debugging C++ DLL which is called from VB

6. Debug Error when calling a destructor from a class that's in a DLL

7. Debugging DLLs written in VC but called from VB

8. Debug a Dll called by a service?

9. Debug a Dll called by a service

10. Debugging VC DLL called from VB

11. Debugging a service-called DLL

12. HELP! Cannot call external DLL (Debug error)