VC problems and obtaining service pack 4
Author Message
 VC problems and obtaining service pack 4

Hi,

I have just spent a few hours fiddling around trying to fix a bug in a
project I'm working on. I'm using Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 (Professional
Edition) and haven't installed any service packs yet.

The bug manifests itself following a call to allocate memory using 'new'
and results in the executable dying with an error in kernel.dll ("XXX
caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL at ...."). When I
step through the code with the de{*filter*} it appears that the problem
occurs during a call to HeapAlloc. It is also worth noting that earlier
calls to 'new' work fine and restructuring the code seems only to shift
the problem elsewhere (to another call to new).

After a bit of searching around I've come across an article in MSDN
which appears to describe a similar, though not identical problem. The
article is called "Q225099 - FIX:Memory Access Violation Caused by
Repeated Reallocs for Small Blocks" and recommends a few solutions, one
of which involves upgrading to service pack 4. Unfortunately, it appears
that to upgrade I need to either download 120 megabytes or order a
service pack CD from Microsoft which could take up to six weeks to
arrive, neither of which sound all that pleasant.

Given the above, can anyone recommend a possible work around to my
problem ? Is this problem likely to be fixed by Service Pack 4 and if
so, is there any alternative to either downloading the various files or
ordering and waiting 6 weeks for the CD from Microsoft ? For example,
are service packs available elsewhere, i.e. on a magazine CD-ROM ? Do
the service pack CDs really take 6 weeks to deliver ? I'm not all that
keen on suspending development of this project for up to six weeks or
spending 12 hours downloading files. The help file also talks about a
smaller, self-extracting EXE but does not say where this can be obtained
from.

Hope someone can help,

Regards,

Max Palmer

--
Max Palmer

Thu, 27 Feb 2003 01:54:53 GMT
 VC problems and obtaining service pack 4
Max,

If you'd like, I can attempt to duplicate the access violation for you.
Win2000, VC 6.0, SP4.  Get a sample working that demostrates the bug (so I
have no need for your source files).

Jeff

[...]

Thu, 27 Feb 2003 07:20:44 GMT
 VC problems and obtaining service pack 4

Quote:

> Given the above, can anyone recommend a possible work around to my
> problem ? Is this problem likely to be fixed by Service Pack 4 and if
> so, is there any alternative to either downloading the various files or
> ordering and waiting 6 weeks for the CD from Microsoft ? For example,
> are service packs available elsewhere, i.e. on a magazine CD-ROM ? Do
> the service pack CDs really take 6 weeks to deliver ? I'm not all that
> keen on suspending development of this project for up to six weeks or
> spending 12 hours downloading files. The help file also talks about a
> smaller, self-extracting EXE but does not say where this can be obtained
> from.

For what it's worth, I've never had a CD I ordered from MS take 6 weeks.
They say that to cover their ass.

Usually it's taken as little as 2-3 days, or as much as 7-10 days.  But
that's just my experience.  If it takes longer, don't blame me ;)

Thu, 27 Feb 2003 08:38:51 GMT
 VC problems and obtaining service pack 4

[snip]

Quote:
> service pack CD from Microsoft which could take up to six weeks to
> arrive, neither of which sound all that pleasant.

[snip]

Not sure if they will, but MS might be willing to use a courier
service if you paid for it.  Worth asking.

Or you could check out some friend who has fast access.

--
Dan Evens
Standard disclaimers etc. No spam please.

Fri, 28 Feb 2003 22:56:10 GMT

1. W2K Service Pack 1 - VC ++ 6.0 Debugger Problem

2. W2K Service Pack 1 - VC ++ 6.0 Debugger Problem

3. VC Service Pack 3 Problems

4. VC Service Pack 3 Problems

5. VC Service Pack 3 Problems

6. Service Pack 3 to Service Pack 4

7. Service Pack for VC 6 404'd?

8. Will VC 7.1 have Service Packs?

9. VC ++ and Service Pack 4

10. How to Determine VC Service Pack Number

11. Questions about what service pack to use with none enterprise versions of VC

12. VC 6.0 service pack 3