Any tools for time performance in VC++ 6.0???
Author Message
 Any tools for time performance in VC++ 6.0???

I am looking for some tools/utilities in VC++ which would instrument
a program and show the execution time for each procedure. The output
format could be something like nested procedure calls with the
associated execution times in microsecs, e.g.
              500 Routine_A
                      100 Routine_B (called by Routine_A)
            1000 Routine_C

or something similar. The idea is to have the times for *all*
procedure calls in a sequence as executed in a program.
Is there such thing available in VC++ 6.0 or from a third party?

Tue, 30 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Any tools for time performance in VC++ 6.0???

The Profiler seems to give cumulative timings, i.e. if one procedure
is executed several times then the total time is reported. And all are
reported in time usage order. What about a tool which gives a proper
sequence of procedure calls, seperate time for each instance.
The actual sequence, nested format, and separate timings are
important.

Is there any tool which will provide this functionality?

Quote:
>The Profiler in VC will give the execution time and hit count for each
>function in your app, but not in the structure you request. It is a powerful
>tool with many options. It is an important tool to learn.

>The Browser will display, but not print a hierarchy as you indicate. The
>Browser is standard in all VC editions. Useful, but falls short.

>The Profiler is available in VC with the Professional and Enterprise
>editions of VC only.

>- Tim

>> I am looking for some tools/utilities in VC++ which would instrument
>> a program and show the execution time for each procedure. The output
>> format could be something like nested procedure calls with the
>> associated execution times in microsecs, e.g.
>>               500 Routine_A
>>                       100 Routine_B (called by Routine_A)
>>             1000 Routine_C

>> or something similar. The idea is to have the times for *all*
>> procedure calls in a sequence as executed in a program.
>> Is there such thing available in VC++ 6.0 or from a third party?

Tue, 30 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Any tools for time performance in VC++ 6.0???
MikeC Wrote:

Quote:

> I am looking for some tools/utilities in VC++ which would
> instrument a program and show the execution time for each
> procedure.

NuMega's DevPartner offers an excellent profiling tool that has what you're
looking for.

--
Chris Mullins

Tue, 30 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Any tools for time performance in VC++ 6.0???
The Profiler in VC will give the execution time and hit count for each
function in your app, but not in the structure you request. It is a powerful
tool with many options. It is an important tool to learn.

The Browser will display, but not print a hierarchy as you indicate. The
Browser is standard in all VC editions. Useful, but falls short.

The Profiler is available in VC with the Professional and Enterprise
editions of VC only.

- Tim

Quote:

> I am looking for some tools/utilities in VC++ which would instrument
> a program and show the execution time for each procedure. The output
> format could be something like nested procedure calls with the
> associated execution times in microsecs, e.g.
>               500 Routine_A
>                       100 Routine_B (called by Routine_A)
>             1000 Routine_C

> or something similar. The idea is to have the times for *all*
> procedure calls in a sequence as executed in a program.
> Is there such thing available in VC++ 6.0 or from a third party?

Wed, 31 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Any tools for time performance in VC++ 6.0???
The Profiler in VC will give the execution time and hit count for each
function in your app, but not in the structure you request. It is a powerful
tool with many options. It is an important tool to learn.

The Browser will display, but not print a hierarchy as you indicate. The
Browser is standard in all VC editions. Useful, but falls short.

The Profiler is available in VC with the Professional and Enterprise
editions of VC only.

- Tim

Quote:

> I am looking for some tools/utilities in VC++ which would instrument
> a program and show the execution time for each procedure. The output
> format could be something like nested procedure calls with the
> associated execution times in microsecs, e.g.
>               500 Routine_A
>                       100 Routine_B (called by Routine_A)
>             1000 Routine_C

> or something similar. The idea is to have the times for *all*
> procedure calls in a sequence as executed in a program.
> Is there such thing available in VC++ 6.0 or from a third party?

Wed, 31 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Any tools for time performance in VC++ 6.0???
Look at Quantify from Rational

http://www.rational.com/products/vis_quantify

It can tell you down to the number of machine cycles, and thus you can
determine performance of various processor speeds.

Be warned that your application will run about 10 times slower, so you may
have to but is some teaks for any timeouts etc..

Very very easy to use and well worth a little teaking if required.

Later
Derek

Quote:
> The Profiler in VC will give the execution time and hit count for each
> function in your app, but not in the structure you request. It is a
powerful
> tool with many options. It is an important tool to learn.

> The Browser will display, but not print a hierarchy as you indicate. The
> Browser is standard in all VC editions. Useful, but falls short.

> The Profiler is available in VC with the Professional and Enterprise
> editions of VC only.

> - Tim

> > I am looking for some tools/utilities in VC++ which would instrument
> > a program and show the execution time for each procedure. The output
> > format could be something like nested procedure calls with the
> > associated execution times in microsecs, e.g.
> >               500 Routine_A
> >                       100 Routine_B (called by Routine_A)
> >             1000 Routine_C

> > or something similar. The idea is to have the times for *all*
> > procedure calls in a sequence as executed in a program.
> > Is there such thing available in VC++ 6.0 or from a third party?

Mon, 19 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Any tools for time performance in VC++ 6.0???

2. VC++ 5.0 and VC++ 6.0 debug run time compatibility

3. VC++ 5.0 and VC++ 6.0 debug run time compatibility

4. : VC 5.0 vs VC 6.0 run time incompatibility

5. : VC 5.0 and VC 6.0 run time compatibility

6. Large Workspace Performance in VC 6.0

7. VC 6.0 performance problems

8. Getting the highest performance out of VC 6.0?

9. VC++ 6.0 performance problem

10. Report Tools with VC++ 6.0

11. VC 6.0 and RogueWave Tools.h++ question

12. VC++ 6.0 compiler, precompiled headers, now 25 times faster