Incremental Build producing bad exe.
Author Message
 Incremental Build producing bad exe.

Chris,

"Incremental" build? As in "compile changed files only", or as in
"incremental compile" and "incremental link"?

All my troubles of this kind went away after I stopped using the
latter two features. If you disable incremental linking, you might as
well get rid of the PDB, btw: -Z7, -pdb:none.

Cheers,
Felix.

If you post a reply, kindly refrain from emailing it, too.

Sat, 19 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Incremental Build producing bad exe.

Hi,

Im compiling a console application that I have "removed" the CRT from.
About when I added a static lib subproject, MSVC suddenly started producing
Exe's that wouldn't function if I don't do a rebuild-All.

The symtoms are
(1) No output to any of the standard handles.
(2) In the de{*filter*}, it will typically report a GPFault at some "random"
location in the code.
(3) Trying to track down the problem using breakpoints is futile, as it
will not stop on any breakpoint whereever you may place it...

To fix the problem I have to do a "Rebuild All", then it works fine untill
I try the next incremental build.

Any ideas / clues / whatever apreciated. Its damn irritating having to wait
for a full rebuild the whole time!

Chris.
--

< http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;

Sat, 19 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Incremental Build producing bad exe.

Quote:
> "Incremental" build? As in "compile changed files only", or as in
> "incremental compile" and "incremental link"?

*sigh* Thats what happens when you post late at night; you don't say quite
what you mean... The diffrence is between the "Build app.exe F7" not
working and "Rebuild All" taking a long time.

I am compiling a debug build - Incremental Compile is disabled (the
default), and Incremental Link is enabled. I'll disable the incremental
link, and get rid of the pdb as you demonstrated below.

Quote:
> All my troubles of this kind went away after I stopped using the
> latter two features. If you disable incremental linking, you might as
> well get rid of the PDB, btw: -Z7, -pdb:none.

Thanks for the help.

Chris.
--

<http://www.dbn.lia.net/users/chris>

Mon, 21 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Incremental Build producing bad exe.

Quote:
> Chris,

> "Incremental" build? As in "compile changed files only", or as in
> "incremental compile" and "incremental link"?

> All my troubles of this kind went away after I stopped using the
> latter two features. If you disable incremental linking, you might as
> well get rid of the PDB, btw: -Z7, -pdb:none.

I have the disturbing feeling I didn't answer this, and say thanks - that
worked great.

Chris
--

<http://www.dbn.lia.net/users/chris>

Fri, 16 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Compiler produces bad code

2. Optimization produces bad FP code

3. DEBUG_NEW compiler error during incremental build

4. Debug incremental build?

5. Incremental Build Problem

6. Incremental Linking and exe size question...

7. Does C# produce .exe files?

8. Browser accessible C compiler (produces downloadable MSDOS EXE files)

9. building parser and produce SQL output

10. Producing listing from build

11. LINK.EXE no longer produces .idata

12. Two successive builds produce 2 different files