NT Problems
Author Message
 NT Problems

Quote:
> 2.         The API GetVersion() returns value 3.1 in NT 4.0 WS

        Use function GetWinFlags()

      DWORD  dwFlags = GetWinFlags();
      if (dwFlags & WINDOWS_NT_VERSION )
        {
                // Windows NT Version
        }

Michael Baram

Sat, 06 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 NT Problems

Hello,

I developed 16 bit applications in Windows 95 environment and the
application works fine on Windows 95 environment. But when the same
application is executed on Windows NT 4.0 Work Station With Service Pack 2,
I am facing following problems:

===============================
Environment :-

Development:    16-bit Application, Windows 95, MSVC++ 1.52c

Runtime:        Windows NT 4.0 WS with Service Pack 2.
===============================

Problems Faced :-

( NOTE: These problems do NOT occur when the client used for testing the
applications is Windows 95)

1.      The API ShellExecute() does not launch internet explorer for files of
type .htm,
.gif, .jpg etc(i.e the files associated with iexplorer). The return value
indicates "File not found"

2.      The API GetVersion() returns value 3.1 in NT 4.0 WS which leads to
problems
in logic using this version number.

3.      While changing the fonts of text programmatically they are not getting
altered sometimes.

4.   There is a .HLP file (online help) associated with each .EXE file
which will get launched on
      pressing F1 from the EXE(The API WinHelp is used for these purpose).

      NT expects the .HLP file to be in the same m/c where the EXE resides
or it expects it to be
      in the local m/c where the EXE is launched. If the HLP is existing on
some other m/c, which is
      in the path then on pressing F1 from the EXE the file is not getting
launched.

5.  Is there a seperate version of  MSVC 1.52c for Windows NT WS ?

Help in any regard to solve these problems is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

J.P.Sathish,

Sat, 06 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 NT Problems

Quote:

> 1.      The API ShellExecute() does not launch internet explorer for files of
> type .htm,
> .gif, .jpg etc(i.e the files associated with iexplorer). The return value
> indicates "File not found"

NT has another logic of searching system paths, see online help
on topic ShellExecute()
(e.g. you must determine your path before)

<snip>

Quote:
> 4.   There is a .HLP file (online help) associated with each .EXE file
> which will get launched on
>       pressing F1 from the EXE(The API WinHelp is used for these purpose).

>       NT expects the .HLP file to be in the same m/c where the EXE resides
> or it expects it to be
>       in the local m/c where the EXE is launched. If the HLP is existing on
> some other m/c, which is
>       in the path then on pressing F1 from the EXE the file is not getting
> launched.

Same thing like in (1).
I think the help file is registered to the system,
so it should be found again if the EXE found it once...

Quote:
> 5.  Is there a seperate version of  MSVC 1.52c for Windows NT WS ?

No.

Quote:

> Help in any regard to solve these problems is appreciated.

> Thanks in advance,

> J.P.Sathish,

Hope, that really helped a little bit.
Regards,
        Manfred
| Origin: COFFEE.CUP not found, system operator halted. |

Mon, 08 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 NT Problems

Quote:

> Problems Faced :-

> ( NOTE: These problems do NOT occur when the client used for testing the
> applications is Windows 95)

> 1.      The API ShellExecute() does not launch internet explorer for files of
> type .htm,
> .gif, .jpg etc(i.e the files associated with iexplorer). The return value
> indicates "File not found"

Is there a registered association for files of these types?  From any
Explorer window, choose View / Options, File Types tab.

If there is a registered app, is it correctly installed?

Quote:
> 2.      The API GetVersion() returns value 3.1 in NT 4.0 WS which leads to
> problems
> in logic using this version number.

The best you can do from a Win16 app on NT without thunking is to
determine that you are running on NT.  There's no reliable way (again,
without thunking) to determine the specific NT version.  See the MSKB
article, "Determining System Version from a Windows-Based Application",
Article ID: Q131371.

Quote:
> 4.   There is a .HLP file (online help) associated with each .EXE file
> which will get launched on
>       pressing F1 from the EXE(The API WinHelp is used for these purpose).

>       NT expects the .HLP file to be in the same m/c where the EXE resides
> or it expects it to be
>       in the local m/c where the EXE is launched. If the HLP is existing on
> some other m/c, which is
>       in the path then on pressing F1 from the EXE the file is not getting
> launched.

I'll probably feel dumb for asking when you tell me, but what does "m/c"
mean in this context?

Quote:
> 5.  Is there a seperate version of  MSVC 1.52c for Windows NT WS ?

No.  There really isn't an MSVC 1.52c for Windows 95!

-- Aaron
---------------------
Aaron J Margosis

http://members.aol.com/aaronmarg/ssswitch/

Tue, 09 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. DAO-NT problem

2. debug in NT problem

3. RAS API NT Problem

4. port from UNIX to NT problem

5. Access Serial Port in second thread under NT problem

6. IE6 on NT Problem: GDI+ Hook Window Class?

7. HELP! -- NT problem shelling to DOS

8. Windows NT Problem

9. RAS API NT Problem

10. Exiting Windows NT problem