TCHAR.H and DBCS
Author Message
 TCHAR.H and DBCS

I appologize if this message posted in the wrong news group.

Does anyone know if the TCHAR.H file is compatible with Double Byte
Character Set (DBCS)?
I am writting a C++ program that is to be used under NT, Win98 and in both
US and Jappanese version.  I did up a article in MSDN about this issue but I
am not sure if this one is up to date.

7. TCHAR.H
The TCHAR.H header file is intended to help solve some of these problems.

TCHAR.H is an official part of the Windows NTT Software Development Kit
(SDK) header files. As originally defined (by VCBU and picked up by the
Windows NT group), it included support for ANSI and UNICODE only. VCBU has
extended this file to include support for DBCS (double-byte character set,
also sometimes known as MBCS, or multibyte character set). The extended file
will ship with Ikura, and represents VCBU's recommended solution for
targeting ANSI, DBCS, and UNICODE. Windows NT may at some point pick up the
extended file as their "official" header. This document describes the
extended version of this file, which the Dolphin project is currently using.

Thanks in advance.

Wed, 02 Jul 2003 03:28:55 GMT
 TCHAR.H and DBCS
You should be ok with the TCHAR.H file Just delcare MBCS in the
pre-processor definitions.

Bigger issues tend to be things like not using the propper font to display
text (if you don't use a Japanese font, you can't display Japanese text) and
not stepping through a string properly if you need to parse it.

Also, you should place your localizable resources in a separete dll so you
can load a different dll at run-time depending on the language required.
This way your main executables can be the same no matter where it is used.

You might also want to do a search for MBCS in the online help.

I think that MSDN has a couple of articles on writing multilingual software
but I don't remember what their titles are.

Vincent Minden

Quote:
> I appologize if this message posted in the wrong news group.

> Does anyone know if the TCHAR.H file is compatible with Double Byte
> Character Set (DBCS)?
> I am writting a C++ program that is to be used under NT, Win98 and in both
> US and Jappanese version.  I did up a article in MSDN about this issue but
> am not sure if this one is up to date.

> 7. TCHAR.H
> The TCHAR.H header file is intended to help solve some of these problems.

> TCHAR.H is an official part of the Windows NTT Software Development Kit
> (SDK) header files. As originally defined (by VCBU and picked up by the
> Windows NT group), it included support for ANSI and UNICODE only. VCBU has
> extended this file to include support for DBCS (double-byte character set,
> also sometimes known as MBCS, or multibyte character set). The extended
file
> will ship with Ikura, and represents VCBU's recommended solution for
> targeting ANSI, DBCS, and UNICODE. Windows NT may at some point pick up
the
> extended file as their "official" header. This document describes the
> extended version of this file, which the Dolphin project is currently
using.

> Thanks in advance.

Sun, 06 Jul 2003 12:54:27 GMT

1. array[]++ (-hs-)

2. Need FIX: std::wofstream Can't Output After DBCS Character Is Output (Q274012)

3. DBCS strings in CRecordset

4. Unicode or DBCS problem

5. Using GetTextFace() in DBCS Windows

6. VC++ 5.0 Menu Resource DBCS Problem (URGENT !)

7. Is DBCS possible using C?

8. Reading a dbcs formatted ICINFO description string in Win95

9. localizing strings DBCS languages

10. Japanese DBCS

11. localizing strings in DBCS

12. CFileDialog & mixed SBCS/DBCS paths on NT4