Win2K vs Win98
Author Message
 Win2K vs Win98

I maintain an old DOS based C++ program for my company that accesses
hardware via port I/O calls. It runs fine under a DOS Window on Win98.
What are the chances that it would run under Win2K?

(I dunno if 2000 even has DOS support...)

drc

Sun, 12 Oct 2003 23:47:08 GMT
 Win2K vs Win98
No chance.

Windows 98 allows you to do direct port IO but it will throw an error on
Win2000.

Options.
1. Write device driver from scratch.
2. Programs are available that help device driver development (Jungo and
BSquare).
3. WinRT from BSquare will allow you to do direct port io without developing
device drivers.

Good luck

Chris M

Quote:
> I maintain an old DOS based C++ program for my company that accesses
> hardware via port I/O calls. It runs fine under a DOS Window on Win98.
> What are the chances that it would run under Win2K?

> (I dunno if 2000 even has DOS support...)

> drc

Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:54:48 GMT
 Win2K vs Win98
        I've seen that Windows NT DDK has a sample which is a driver for a
generic I/O port. Probably Windows 2k DDK might contain the same
example. It's just build and test it.
Quote:

> No chance.

> Windows 98 allows you to do direct port IO but it will throw an error on
> Win2000.

> Options.
> 1. Write device driver from scratch.
> 2. Programs are available that help device driver development (Jungo and
> BSquare).
> 3. WinRT from BSquare will allow you to do direct port io without developing
> device drivers.

> Good luck

> Chris M

>> I maintain an old DOS based C++ program for my company that accesses
>> hardware via port I/O calls. It runs fine under a DOS Window on Win98.
>> What are the chances that it would run under Win2K?

>> (I dunno if 2000 even has DOS support...)

>> drc

Tue, 14 Oct 2003 01:13:56 GMT

1. TEXT CONSOLE MOUSE EVENTS WIN98 VS WIN2K

2. Keyboard hook Win98 vs Win2k

3. Win98 (Chin) Vs Win98 (Eng)

4. DAO Win95 vs Win98 vs WinNT

5. HOW TO SEND SIGNAL IN C UNDER WIN98/win2k

6. Win98 code stops working in Win2K

7. runs on win2k, doesn't on win98

8. Print without the doc/view framework works with win2k but not win98

9. Month Calendar Win98 Win95 Win2k

10. MFC@Win2k <--> Win98

11. Strange behavior using path between win98 and win2k

12. GetSystemPaletteEntries Win2k and Win98