Common dialogs as a property page
Author Message
 Common dialogs as a property page

I read somewhere that it cannot be done. It was a pretty authoritative
source, but I cannot remember where I read it. You will have to write it
yourself. (It may be Inside Visual C++ by Kruglinski)

Steve

Mon, 27 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Common dialogs as a property page

You might not be able to do it using the common dialog API's, but I'm sure
it can be done. Look at the slick Open/New dialog in VB5 for an example. I
seem to recall reading in a post here that the resource templates for the
common dialogs are included with either VC++ or the SDK. That would at
least be a starting point.

--
Jeff Kohn

http://www.nol.net/~jkohn

Quote:
> I read somewhere that it cannot be done. It was a pretty authoritative
> source, but I cannot remember where I read it. You will have to write it
> yourself. (It may be Inside Visual C++ by Kruglinski)

> Steve

Mon, 27 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Common dialogs as a property page

I have a situation where I want to have the common 'File Open' dialog as a
property page.  I know that this can't be straight forward since the common
dialog is modal and the page has to be modeless.

Any ideas besides rewriting the file open dialog?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Mon, 27 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Common dialogs as a property page

Check out the Nancy Winnuck Clutt's book (Programming the Windows 95 User
Interface). The book includes Win32 and MFC samples. The dialogs you see
displayed are modal, but the components themselves are placed on modeless
pages on top of the modal dialogs, apparently to allow the contents of the
common dialogs to be used for modal and modeless dialog boxes as well as
property sheets. This makes sense when you consider the portability issues
required to build a decent set of common controls. MFC Internals by Scott
Wingo and George Shepard does a pretty good job of explaining the how and
why of the common controls.

As an alternate example, look through the RC files in the MFC source
directory included with MFC 4.2 or 5.0 to see a modeless template page for
the File Open / Save dialogs. The use of the File Open / Save dialogs as
modeless dialogs or property sheets is covered at least once in the tech
notes included with MFC 4.2/5.0.

If I'm not mistaken, the Nancy Winnuck Clutt's Win32 and MFC samples are
included along with the MSDN book samples in MFC 5.0 and many of them are
available on the Win32 site. The N.W. Clutt's book includes instructions
for displaying the common dialogs in modal or modeless format and
guidelines for changing the physical appearance of the common dialogs (by
adding, removing, and moving controls and changing the physical size of
dialogs). There is also a fairly detailed set of articles about Common
Controls (5 articles I think) by N.W. Clutts sitting on the Win32 site,
accessible from the drop-down box on the left top side of the opening Win32
web page.
--
Gene Rodrigues

Quote:
> I have a situation where I want to have the common 'File Open' dialog as
> property page.  I know that this can't be straight forward since the
common
> dialog is modal and the page has to be modeless.

> Any ideas besides rewriting the file open dialog?

> Thanks in advance,

> Andrew

Tue, 28 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Common dialogs as a property page

Quote:

> I have a situation where I want to have the common 'File Open' dialog as a
> property page.  I know that this can't be straight forward since the common
> dialog is modal and the page has to be modeless.

> Any ideas besides rewriting the file open dialog?

> Thanks in advance,

> Andrew

Andrew,

Wouldn't it serve the same purpose to put in a BROWSE button with an
edit control?  This approach seems to be microsoft's answer to the
situation.

Bob Phillips

Fri, 01 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Common dialogs as a property page

2. Property Page isn't viewable when containing Common Dialog Control

3. Embedding common dialogs in property pages

4. Create property page from common dialog

5. Making common dlgs into property pages

6. The same dialog box for a stand alone dialog and a property page

7. Property Pages in a Property Page

8. Customizing Common Page Setup Dialog Box problem

9. Transparent dialog in property sheet with Windows XP common controls

10. Howto call a MMC Property Page Extending from a Dialog

11. How To Show A Dialog Box in a Property Page

12. Help with property page dialog