Porting Windows 2000 program to windows 98
Author Message
 Porting Windows 2000 program to windows 98

Hi,

 We have a program that runs fine on windows 2000. It just would not run on
windows 98. The problems seem to be:

 1) The path names in Win2K are like C:\\MyDir\\MyFile... etc. with double
backslashes. In Win98, all should be in single back slash.

    Is there a way of converting the two in the source code without a lot of
#define etc.?

2) A call to another program using system("start /w prog2.exe") returns
immediately in Win98 while in Win2K, it waits until the process finishes.

   Is there a way to make Win98 wait for the process to finish?

Thanks

Fri, 28 Jan 2005 13:25:39 GMT
 Porting Windows 2000 program to windows 98
About double backslashes: you are wrong. double backslashes are C(C++)'s
specific, but not W2k. You may have problems with unicode. W2K is based on
unicode, but W9x are based on ANSI.
What about executing *.exe file, MS recommends to use CreateProcess.

Quote:
> Hi,

>  We have a program that runs fine on windows 2000. It just would not run
on
> windows 98. The problems seem to be:

>  1) The path names in Win2K are like C:\\MyDir\\MyFile... etc. with double
> backslashes. In Win98, all should be in single back slash.

>     Is there a way of converting the two in the source code without a lot
of
> #define etc.?

> 2) A call to another program using system("start /w prog2.exe") returns
> immediately in Win98 while in Win2K, it waits until the process finishes.

>    Is there a way to make Win98 wait for the process to finish?

> Thanks

Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:00:33 GMT
 Porting Windows 2000 program to windows 98

Quote:
> Hi,

>  We have a program that runs fine on windows 2000. It just would not run
on
> windows 98. The problems seem to be:

>  1) The path names in Win2K are like C:\\MyDir\\MyFile... etc. with double
> backslashes. In Win98, all should be in single back slash.

>     Is there a way of converting the two in the source code without a lot
of
> #define etc.?

No.  As already answered, this is a C/C++ requirement and is not related to
Win2000/Win98.

Quote:

> 2) A call to another program using system("start /w prog2.exe") returns
> immediately in Win98 while in Win2K, it waits until the process finishes.

>    Is there a way to make Win98 wait for the process to finish?

Windows 98 doesn't know what "start" means.  You'll have to use
CreateProcess to run prog2.exe.

Quote:

> Thanks

-cd

Fri, 28 Jan 2005 21:11:09 GMT
 Porting Windows 2000 program to windows 98

Quote:
> Hi,

>  We have a program that runs fine on windows 2000. It just would not run
on
> windows 98. The problems seem to be:

>  1) The path names in Win2K are like C:\\MyDir\\MyFile... etc. with double
> backslashes. In Win98, all should be in single back slash.

Eugene's answer to this is correct.

Quote:
> 2) A call to another program using system("start /w prog2.exe") returns
> immediately in Win98 while in Win2K, it waits until the process finishes.

"Start" is an internal command in NT variants, and an external
command in 9x. I suspect this is part of the difference.

Eugene's suggestion regarding CreateProcess is also correct.

Fri, 28 Jan 2005 21:31:11 GMT
 Porting Windows 2000 program to windows 98

Mon, 12 Aug 2002 13:31:11 in microsoft.public.vc.language, Ron Ruble

Quote:

>> Hi,

>>  We have a program that runs fine on windows 2000. It just would not run
>on
>> windows 98. The problems seem to be:

>>  1) The path names in Win2K are like C:\\MyDir\\MyFile... etc. with double
>> backslashes. In Win98, all should be in single back slash.

>Eugene's answer to this is correct.

>> 2) A call to another program using system("start /w prog2.exe") returns
>> immediately in Win98 while in Win2K, it waits until the process finishes.

>"Start" is an internal command in NT variants, and an external
>command in 9x. I suspect this is part of the difference.

And just to make things really interesting, the functionality and
interface differs between the two. (And further Createprocess behaves
differently between the two if you set both its first two parameters. I
can't remember what the difference is. Look at the knowledge base for
the grisly details.)

I think you are doing it the hard way given that W98 implements a
superset of a subset of the functionality of W2K.

I would suggest that you write a series of REALLY simple programs to
test portability of what you are doing. Step through the execution of
the code in the de{*filter*} in both. You can expect to be appalled at the
differences between the two. You DO have the RTL sources loaded!
--
Walter Briscoe

Fri, 28 Jan 2005 22:30:05 GMT

1. Porting Windows 98 apllication to Windows 2000 problem.

2. Is programming windows 98 the same as programming windows 2000

3. VC++, windows 2000 and windows 98

4. Dialog Resource Color Changed from Windows 98 to Windows 2000

5. Bitmap Color Change when I changed from Windows 98 to Windows 2000

6. Bitmap Resource Background changes color from Windows 98 to Windows 2000

7. Bitmap Background Colors from Windows 98 to Windows 2000

8. Getting MAC Address in WIndows 98 and NT/2000/NT

9. Windows 98 and 2000 with Visual C++

10. IPC windows 95/98/NT/2000

11. QuickView in Windows 98 / 2000

12. windows 2000 pro or windows 2000 server?