Title: "Named Pipe stability"

From: ReddDogg Date: Wednesday, April 28 1999 - 06:31AM EST
Points: 50 Points (Easy)

OK - I have a program that Creates 2 pipes.  And INBOUND & and OUTBOUND.
The INBOUND pipe basically writes to the OUTBOUND pipe.  I've got em, I can
connect with a client to the INBOUND and a reciever to the OUTBOUND and data
is going throug like made, working great.  BUT I need the pipes to be
tollerable of connections and disconnections.

As of right now - if the Client goes down(killed) the server(what creates
the pipes) and the reciever(what reads the OUTBOUND pipe) dies.

if the receiver dies, the client and the server are fine, but if i try to
reconnect the receiver, no connection is made.  thus i'm dead in the
water!!!!

ANy ideas?  I basically want to create the pipes and have the sit there
waitng for connections, and in a mishap that a connection is lost, I just
wait for a reconnect(a new connection).

Thanks in advance,

Kev

Sun, 14 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Named Pipe Stability
When the client dies, the server needs to do a disconnect and connect
(DisconnectNamedPipe and ConnectNamedPipe) before the client can connect
again.  I seem to remember that there is a rather lengthy timeout involved
when using blocking I/O over a network (I don't remember it being there if
everything is local and have not experienced it when using overlapped I/O)
before the ReadFile (I think) would return an error.

Quote:

>Windows Programming Question
>Title: "Named Pipe stability"

>From: ReddDogg Date: Wednesday, April 28 1999 - 06:31AM EST
>Points: 50 Points (Easy)

>OK - I have a program that Creates 2 pipes.  And INBOUND & and OUTBOUND.
>The INBOUND pipe basically writes to the OUTBOUND pipe.  I've got em, I can
>connect with a client to the INBOUND and a reciever to the OUTBOUND and
data
>is going throug like made, working great.  BUT I need the pipes to be
>tollerable of connections and disconnections.

>As of right now - if the Client goes down(killed) the server(what creates
>the pipes) and the reciever(what reads the OUTBOUND pipe) dies.

>if the receiver dies, the client and the server are fine, but if i try to
>reconnect the receiver, no connection is made.  thus i'm dead in the
>water!!!!

>ANy ideas?  I basically want to create the pipes and have the sit there
>waitng for connections, and in a mishap that a connection is lost, I just
>wait for a reconnect(a new connection).

>Thanks in advance,

>Kev

Sun, 14 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Named Pipe Stability
I'll give it a shot !!!  Thanks!!!

Kev

Quote:
> When the client dies, the server needs to do a disconnect and connect
> (DisconnectNamedPipe and ConnectNamedPipe) before the client can connect
> again.  I seem to remember that there is a rather lengthy timeout involved
> when using blocking I/O over a network (I don't remember it being there if
> everything is local and have not experienced it when using overlapped I/O)
> before the ReadFile (I think) would return an error.

> >Windows Programming Question
> >Title: "Named Pipe stability"

> >From: ReddDogg Date: Wednesday, April 28 1999 - 06:31AM EST
> >Points: 50 Points (Easy)

> >OK - I have a program that Creates 2 pipes.  And INBOUND & and OUTBOUND.
> >The INBOUND pipe basically writes to the OUTBOUND pipe.  I've got em, I
can
> >connect with a client to the INBOUND and a reciever to the OUTBOUND and
> data
> >is going throug like made, working great.  BUT I need the pipes to be
> >tollerable of connections and disconnections.

> >As of right now - if the Client goes down(killed) the server(what creates
> >the pipes) and the reciever(what reads the OUTBOUND pipe) dies.

> >if the receiver dies, the client and the server are fine, but if i try to
> >reconnect the receiver, no connection is made.  thus i'm dead in the
> >water!!!!

> >ANy ideas?  I basically want to create the pipes and have the sit there
> >waitng for connections, and in a mishap that a connection is lost, I just
> >wait for a reconnect(a new connection).

> >Thanks in advance,

> >Kev

Sun, 14 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Pipes and Named Pipes in Unix C (with Fig1.jpeg)

2. Named pipes, overlapped write buffer size

3. Question about named pipes (FIFOs)

4. Named Pipes in .Net

5. auto-closing a named-pipe receiver

6. Named Pipes

7. sockets and named pipes in a cgi script

8. named pipes

9. Sockes Vs Named Pipes

10. Named Pipes Error

11. Named Pipes through a firewall