VC 5 stability
Author Message
 VC 5 stability

Quote:
> I would appreciate any input on the state of VC5 with the latest service
> pack. I was eager to step up to VC5 from VC4.2, but when there were lots
> of complaints on apparent bugs in the VC5 compiler, I didn't dare switch
> since we we're in the middle of a large project.

> So, what in your opionion is the state of VC5 nowadays. Have the
> optimization, floating point etc bugs been stomped out or should I still
> wait for a 5.1 or similar before considering the switch.

> Any input appreciated.

> TIA,

> ken1

I still have a number of compiler issues, mostly to do with inline
assembly. You wouldn't think the compiler could{*filter*}this up, since I am
telling it exactly what to do. The same code works fine in 4.2. And this
code is in one of our most common blitters, which can really efect
performance.

I would wait.

tyler wilson
systems programmer
davidson & associates, inc.
torrance, ca 90503

Sun, 16 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 VC 5 stability

First, you should never switch compilers in the middle of a development
cycle (IMHO!!)

Second,  Anytime a product first ships you are of course going to hear about
_ALL_ the problems in the world.  Anyway MS has released 2 service packs to
address specific problems (see their web site).  I will say VC++ 5.0 does
seem to have some optimizer issues (maximize speed) but that is specific to
the code I was using (at least that's my experience) switching to "minimize
size" fixed the problems.  Other then that its working fine.  however; if
your still mid-process I wouldn't suggest switching unless you have a
compelling reason (like VC++ 5.0 fixes some bugs your running into)

-Jim

--
Its a big enough umbrella,
  But its always me that ends up getting wet....
http://www.pinpub.com/ |
| http://lucifer.lotus.com/jim/main.htm

---

Sun, 16 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 VC 5 stability

On Wed, 29 Oct 1997 14:55:58 +0100, Kenneth Olwing

Quote:

>I would appreciate any input on the state of VC5 with the latest service
>pack. I was eager to step up to VC5 from VC4.2, but when there were lots
>of complaints on apparent bugs in the VC5 compiler, I didn't dare switch
>since we we're in the middle of a large project.

>So, what in your opionion is the state of VC5 nowadays. Have the
>optimization, floating point etc bugs been stomped out or should I still
>wait for a 5.1 or similar before considering the switch.

I'm running VC5 with SP2 and have no particular problems. The package
I'm working on does a significant amount of floating-point math and I
have uncovered no problems there either.
--

Maranatha

Gordon Walker (remove underscore for email)

* Send NO unsolicited email *

Mon, 17 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. testing stability of product

2. Stability of realloc

3. Reliability and Stability of Jet/DAO

4. Named Pipe Stability

5. Can VC++4.2b co-exist with VC++5.0 or VC++6.0

6. Problem to convert from VC 6.0 to VC 7.1 because of using filebuf::setmode()

7. upgrade of dll from vc++ 6.0 to vc++.net

8. VC++6 to VC++.NET2002: illegal local function definitions

9. VC.net or VC?

10. Converting project from vc++6 to vc++7

11. VC/VC.NET/STL

12. How to use VC 7.0 C++ compiler from VC 6.0 IDE